• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Accepting Merlin want to make more money does not mean shrugging it off. Business works both ways. They're entitled to try and make more, and we're entitled to respond to it. Merlin have a track record of trying outrageous schemes to make money, but also a track record of bowing to pressure resulting from them. I say question and challenge every decision they make. Blue Peter badges today, something worse in future. I wouldn't be surprised if they start making standard pass holders pay in a few years, and if they do I also won't be surprised if people just say "oh well they're not a charity".

I can understand the frustration of the Blue Peter badge holders. I personally don't like all these cuts. But the Blue Peter badge entry thingy IMO is least concern on my list of things. I think there are more important things to moan about like the ride closures, mid week park closures, Scarefest only now available on weekends and half term as well as the fireworks events losing a day and the possibility that the FHT event won't return again next year. Also parking should also be included in the park entry price etc...

What I just read and now understand, it that the Blue Peter badge allows the holder to gain entry into the park with a full paying adult and not to be used in conjunction with any other offer. Kellogg's did a promotion where the Adult goes in free with a full paying child. Surely if the Kellogg's promotion returns next year, it would be the better offer for getting someone in for free with the cost of a child price as oppose to an adult price?

After reading the terms for entry with the Blue Peter Badge this morning , I've got to admit that I've change my views and the way that I feeI about this. This is a bad move by Merlin, could this also mean the end to other 2-4-1 offer and free tickets from the Sun newspaper? If Merlin are making huge profits, they must stop chipping away at all of their attractions other wise they won't have any attractions left worth visiting.

Last edited:
The reason why blue Peter badge thing was good compared to other 2 for 1 vouchers was you could buy the tickets online (so for 2 people it was about £28 at Thorpe park as an example) rather than having to do it on the day (so for 2 people at Thorpe park it would be around £59). I know there are far worse things happening at the parks but I can't see any reason why it would need to be dropped

They don't actually loose any money from letting BP badge holders in for free. They will gain if they bring a friend who has to pay full price and can't use a BOGOFF/Offer. Seem like an odd move to me and has only got them bad press. Silly Billy's (Again)

Accepting Merlin want to make more money does not mean shrugging it off. Business works both ways. They're entitled to try and make more, and we're entitled to respond to it. Merlin have a track record of trying outrageous schemes to make money, but also a track record of bowing to pressure resulting from them. I say question and challenge every decision they make. Blue Peter badges today, something worse in future. I wouldn't be surprised if they start making standard pass holders pay in a few years, and if they do I also won't be surprised if people just say "oh well they're not a charity".
Yes I'm not saying I agree with it or even think it's a good business decision personally I feel letting someone in for free(who's most likely going to bring friends and spend money in the park) far outweighs charging that person entry.
I feel it's counter productive long term but things like this are usually not seen by the money men

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand where people are coming from about the blue peter badges. It's alright if it's just you but when it's a family and two children get in with blue peter badges it's a bit of a blow. It's not that easy to get enough tesco points per year for 4 people when you shop at discount retailers like Aldi.

Sorry im confused, i was commenting on post about the blue peter badge thing. Saying they will be removing free carers passes next.

It does seem odd that at a time when Merlin need some good press, they do something trivial like this which makes them look even more like the evil empire.

It does make you wonder just how low the company is willing to go just to make a quick buck.

It does seem odd that at a time when Merlin need some good press, they do something trivial like this which makes them look even more like the evil empire.

It does make you wonder just how low the company is willing to go just to make a quick buck.
Absolutely! It's a strange move. It may go unnoticed by Joe public but it runs a massive risk of being reported in the press (and yet another excuse to copy and paste a rehash of The Smiler story).

It's a move that could save only a few grand in over heads but cost 10 times that in lost revenue in damage to company image perception. Although it wouldn't personally affect me, from a PR vs financial impact ratio perspective it looks like a ridiculous move.

I'm sure I'm not the only person that wasn't aware about the Blue Peter badge thingy...

Tis a shame that we keep seeing perks removed for... Whatever reasoning, and it doesn't help the perception of the parks and ownership, especially with recent years of general awfulness...

With the Blue Peter badges, did you have to have something else (i.e like a certificate to prove it's yours) to get free entry into the park with it, or would the badge just do? I ask because I've just had a look on eBay and the badges are about £3, so if it's just the badge, it could seem like an easy way to gain free entry .

Ah, the old BP Badge scandal! The short version is that someone I vaguely knew on the show was caught nicking badges and flogging them on ebay. When this came out they introduced a membership card of some kind to prove you had earned the badge legitimately.
Amazingly, said person was not fired! But they never worked on BP again...

Cheers Slaphead, I thought it weren't as simple as that. With it, entry to Towers would only cost you less than a fiver :p

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.