• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: The Smiler Reopening

Will you ride in 2016?

• Yes

Votes: 147 94.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
When I ride the smiler am I the only one who doesn't find if rough? The only jolt I notice is the one on the heartline at the end but it hardly ruined the ride for me!
I will definitely be getting back on it as it is my favourite ride (I find it more intense and fun the nemesis but it is very close) although like many others it never felt 100% safe and when I heard there was a rollercoaster crash at towers my instant instinct was it was the smiler.
I've only ever ridden it twice, but that jolt is what made it slightly worse than nemesis in my opinion

I've lost count how many times I've ridden the Smiler. I personally found it to be no more rougher than any other coaster that I've been on.

Sometimes riding the Smiler can be uncomfortably rough as well as smooth. It all depends on where you sit on the ride, which car you sit in and what time of the day it is. The same goes for other rollercoaster, even Rita (especially the first right bank when you hit you head against the restraints), Nemesis and Oblivion can also be rough to ride at times.

I don't find the Smiler that rough either. I don't mind rough rollercoasters as long as they don't have OTSRs (I'm looking at you Gwazi). Colossus is the only rollercoaster I've actually sustained injury on due to roughness, even the Corkscrew couldn't manage that.

BPB is the only park I come away from with bruises, especially riding their mouse ride, now that's what I call a rough ride!

BPB is the only park I come away from with bruises, especially riding their mouse ride, now that's what I call a rough ride!
I'm surprised it's still there. Always come off with a migraine and have seen many people crying (and not with joy) when they get off it, the smiler is nothing in comparison lol

I never loved the ride to start with and it never felt the safest to me (I always feel iffy on vertical lift hills anyway) so nah, I'd have a lot more fun on the other rides and not bothering with The Smiler as usual.

I think I will actually ride more now than before the crash. Not because I feel I'll enjoy the ride now, but because I'm guessing that the queue will be much shorter. I will ride nemesis and oblivion over and over, but I can't do that on the other rides (apart from at scarefest; walk on Rita :)) because of the queues. I usually get one ride on the smiler once a visit, because it's not worth an hour and a half wait if oblivion is walk on (coming from the person who waited 45 minutes for submission :eek:)

But Mouse doesn't beat you in the head with an OTSR. Also, it is made of win. ;)

That's why I never hold my head back against the head rest on the rides with OTSR. I always stick my head forwards, other wise I end up with my ears bashed to bits, mind you I've now got a good set of muscles in my neck :p

Of course I will be riding the Smiler again. I haven't been on since August '14 and despite it not being the best ride in the park I love it! If it has a 3 hour queue and reduced trains then no. But if maybe 1 hour all trains then yes. Your more likely to be struck by lightning twice than hurt on a roller coaster and what happened was horrific and extremely unfortunate. However, with the new safety measures, it definitely won't happen again and will be safer than ever.

No it's a dangerous it's a disappointment it hasn't been torn down

No, only because I don't plan to go back to the Towers this year if the park is in such a recovery period as much as I'd like to support it. Probably will in a few years when the crash memories fade out of the general public's minds.

What would you say the most thrilling steel coaster you've been on is?

Because it seems you need to ride more.
Depends, The Big One is my favourite but I would class Nemesis as the most intense steel coaster I have been on.

I have ridden PMBO after it's accidents & Space Invader after it's death. I'll be riding it happily as it's one of the best coasters I've ridden. :)

I'll be riding it 'cos if you think about it, with the amount of safety improvements made on it, and not to mention how close they'll be keeping an eye on it, you'll be safer riding The Smiler now than you would be walking through Sharkbait Reef.