• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2016: The Smiler Reopening

Will you ride in 2016?

• Yes

Votes: 147 94.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 5.2%

• Total voters
I kinda hope it opens the same as before with no changes, I really do like the theme, music and videos of the Smiler. It's actually a very clever theme for a ride, just a shame the actual theming is a bit naff and broke and done cheaply.

I for one, always hated Smiler's theme, but in this circumstance, I hope nothing changes as it shows Towers haven't bowed down to any pressure from the media to change it.

Only time will tell, but I would imagine the videos with 'possible side effects' will be edited/removed. I'm sure one of them was 'loss of limbs'...

Think they'll need to change the smiler shop video. Watched it yesterday and realised how bad some of it sounds now.

I'd imagine that there will be several video edits as there were with Oblivion when the park re-opened following the incident. There's no way they are going to list "loss of limb" as a possible side effect of The Smiler! It will be interesting to see how many chages there are, I hope that it won't be many but I fear it will be quite a lot.

In terms of media coverage now, I actually think news of it re-opening is now good PR for Towers. Those that are disgusted etc have already made up their minds. However news of it opening could entice some people back to the park. Let's hope that happens anyway!

:)

Just look at towers facebook, some people have been saying "I wont visit untill its open". Might not be a huge number of people saying this, but they have nothing to lose by announcing its opening, and if it entices a few to the park that may not have gone for opening day, then that's a bonus for them. Anyone put off by the accident won't go, as they wouldn't last year.

Towers have now restored The Smiler's ride page on the website to its usual form, removing any notices of closure. :)
No particular theme mentions anywhere on there, something tells me the theme has been watered down :( just a generic "world's first 14 looping rollercoaster" tagline rather than "time to get corrected"

Quick question, was this really some of the marketing wording used on the website prior to the accident?

qvCcrgk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The victims are a huge part of the story though, you can't silence that.......They're the reason these stories RE reopening keep cropping up...

Quick question, was this really some of the marketing wording used on the website prior to the accident?

qvCcrgk.jpg
O0c4TSw.png

Do you guys think the ride area will be jetwashed/painted/new theming added? I wouldn't of thought so but after seeing their TLC efforts, I'm really hoping the ride is up to scratch!!! I'm excited to ride the beast again x

The victims are a huge part of the story though, you can't silence that.......They're the reason these stories RE reopening keep cropping up...

qvCcrgk.jpg

Screen_Shot_2016_03_02_at_18_02_53.png

To get back on topic, we are gonna get this sort of news articles for weeks now... Like a few others have said, as long as everything is as it was before it happened. I'll be proud of towers for not caving in!

I have moved all of the latest posts relating to the recent media coverage to the Media Coverage of Alton Towers thread. Please do continue to discuss it there, as I said previously it is not that the discussion is discouraged, I just think it is better on its own rather than taking over a thread to do with what will happening regarding the reopening of The Smiler in a couple of weeks (as there is lots to be discussed about that as well)!

Hope that clears everything up!

:)

I wonder if we'll be seeing a press release of Nick Varney riding the front row in a couple weeks, given the big deal that's been made about him saying he'd be the first person back on it?

Early Ride Time will include the following rides:

Oblivion, Enterprise and Spinball (from 9:30am)

CBeebies Land:

Postman Pat Parcel Post, In The Night Garden Magic Boat Ride, Get Set Go Tree Top Adventure, Octonauts Rollercoaster Adventure, Tree Fu Tom Training Camp, Justin’s House Pie-O-Matic Factory, Charlie & Lola Moonsquirters and Green Drops, Numtums Number-Go-Round, Something Special Sensory Garden, Big Fun Show Time and Nina’s Science Lab

Currently what's on the website.