• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017/18: SW8 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
But Morwenna said back in 2010 that USP with a woodie is not the issue. They could build a cross valley woodie and it would have the biggest drop of any wooden coaster the world, USP sorted (of course lots of planning issues there).

Morwenna said that woodies do not perform well on market research. And this is what makes them a no go with Merlin. The public do not think they are safe (apparently, I still think they'd flock to ride a Wodan equivalent). I can't see how an RMC would get around this issue, heck they look more dangerous than you standard woodie! So until they can make a woodie perform well on market research I cannot see Merlin providing them the cash to build one.

:)

Given some people don't see the Smiler as safe after those bits fell off on the lift hill I think they can find a way to market a wooden coaster as safe! ;-)

Remove Blade and Ripsaw (put the station there) and take the coaster out into the car parks

I really really hope this never happens.

It would turn Forbidden Valley into a Six Flags style mess of coaster tracks and the queues would be unbearable with no filler rides to soak up the crowds.

Imagine if they were to move the entrance to Gloomy Wood as well, it would be a people logistics nightmare to say the least.

I really really hope this never happens.

It would turn Forbidden Valley into a Six Flags style mess of coaster tracks and the queues would be unbearable with no filler rides to soak up the crowds.

Imagine if they were to move the entrance to Gloomy Wood as well, it would be a people logistics nightmare to say the least.

It wouldn't be how I would choose to do it either, it was just one of the original rumours for SW7

Could the old 'Coaster Corner' not be utilised for an enclosed 4D coaster / dark ride? I know Coaster Corner was mooted as a possible area for expansion in the LTDP, but obviously has issues with regards to noise. A dark ride would allow for use of an unused space whilst keeping the locals happy.

I have concerns about a further coaster opening in Forbidden Valley due to space / coaster overload. In my ideal world there would be a cross valley wooden coaster / wooden coaster where The Flume is but both would have significant planning difficulties with regards to tree removal.

EDIT: Looking at google maps, the area in Coaster Corner is huge, easily dwarfing the area taken up by Duel if the entire area was cleared of trees. I have no idea of the footprint of most 4D coasters (Transformers in Universal is relatively small but does utilise 2 floors) but surely something could fit there?

Remove Blade and Ripsaw (put the station there) and take the coaster out into the car parks

I have no doubt these will both be removed for the station as you say (and I hope both are relocated - even Blade, which should be re-themed back into a pirate shop and put in Mutiny Bay), but I don't think they'll use the Air car park. I'd always thought they'd use that area as a resort expansion rather than for a new ride.

Just looking at the air car park. I have to say. I never really looked on maps before at the size but I always thought there were more car parks than that!

Taking away the air car park would mean they have to relocate it somewhere?

Also, is coaster corner behind the Towers were the odd little turret folly is?

It is. On google maps its the area adjacent to the folly with all of the (what looks like) broken timber, dirt and rubble. I believe the entrance to the area was where the Twirling Toadstool is.

If they were to use that area, and place an entrance where the Twirling Toadstool is, it could work. There would be room for little else, but a top notch ride wouldn't need a great deal of support.

Personally I am hoping that SW8 turns out to be a major family attraction like a dark ride or water ride/coaster.

After The Smiler the last thing Alton Towers needs is another gimmicky record breaking 1.4m coaster.

More variety in the park's ride line-up is sorely needed.

Thirteen was the first to break the mould with the Secret Weapons, I don't see why they can't do it again.

Just looking at the air car park. I have to say. I never really looked on maps before at the size but I always thought there were more car parks than that!

Taking away the air car park would mean they have to relocate it somewhere?

Also, is coaster corner behind the Towers were the odd little turret folly is?

The long term plan outlines new car parks being built with the removal of existing car parks. So they will easily create a new car park elsewhere and use the Air car park for a theme park development.

The long term plan outlines new car parks being built with the removal of existing car parks. So they will easily create a new car park elsewhere and use the Air car park for a theme park development.

I gather that they can build new car parks, but where? I mean take fireworks for examples, I am surprised cars aren't parked like this tbh:

CarTower4-640x425.jpg

I would assume one of the existing fields used for overflow parking would be tarmaced over. Or some field areas that sit beside the overflow areas. They're not short of land so there's plenty of space around.

For future car park developments I think they should do a car park like disney springs are doing if they're taken out the air car park

I think Alton definitely need a different style of attraction and not merely a ride, I personally feel Alton has enough rollercoaters and a day at Alton is basically going from one rollercoaster to another. Out of interest I wanted to see what manufacturer made some of my favourite attractions in Orlando, and they were nearly all made by Dynamic Attractions.
I know the very top end rides are probably not within Alton’s budget. But there some very good attractions that I think would go down well. One is a Sourin’ imitation and another is a clever tour style ride that uses 4d screens to simulate movement similar to the King Kong section at the Universal tour used in California. Both use 4d screens which seems to be the way themeparks are going to get that immersive experience with a fraction of the cost.

5295e98fb0359-flying-theater-from-dynamic-attractions-1.jpg

Here is that Sourin style ride,

and this is that tram simulator
simworx%20immersive%20tunnel%20with%20dinosaurs%20600.jpg

That tour style ride opened last year at Movie Park Germany and was quite fab actually... Cheap and tacky in the ride portion, but the epic queue-line (with bonus fire) made up for it slightly... The ride experience can vary very highly though depending on where you sit...

I think Bobbejaanland are getting one this year...

As a filler/support ride for families, I wouldn't say no to one... Chuck it in Katanga Canyon...

and if you think a day at Alton Towers is just one roller-coaster after another then don't go to Thorpe Park! Although Thorpe does have more flat ride thrills, they don't have much non-thrill so it doesn't take long to feel queasy!

A wooden rollercoaster would still be a good addition to AT (or Thorpe actually) as it broadens the family thrill line-up. But a new dark ride at AT would be perfect, but I think they would remove Duel to use the warehouse rather than building new :-(

Is that not similar to the Spider-Man and transformers rides, and if this is coming and is half as good as those I think it will be a hit.

That tour style ride opened last year at Movie Park Germany

I just tried looking for that ride, and thought this was it,

But this is a indoor roller coaster which by the looks of it is very highly themed and only cost £3.5 million. Roughly the same as sub-terra but obviously alton didn't need to purchase an IP. I know which one I would prefer!!

Last edited:
I don't know what the obsession is with a woodie but there is zero chance of it happening in my opinion.
Nothing can be constructed above tree height and that includes the valley, both East Staffordshire and Moorlands care more about trees than people!

I'd rather a top quality dark ride myself.

I don't know what the obsession is with a woodie but there is zero chance of it happening in my opinion.
Nothing can be constructed above tree height and that includes the valley, both East Staffordshire and Moorlands care more about trees than people!

I'd rather a top quality dark ride myself.

It doesn't include the valley. The tree height restriction is about nothing being in view from a distance, clearly a coaster down in the valley would be hidden from view due to natural elevation. Nothing can go above the tree height at normal park level though.

Half of Alton village looks directly down the bottom end of the valley plus it can be seen from the ridge opposite.
There is zero chance of getting Planning Permission.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.