• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017/18: SW8 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I'd like to think someone at merlin is wetting them selves laughing at all our speculation. I think it's important to remember we still know very little :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

My concern if this is a family thrill coaster is that it seems a bit of a waste of quite a large site on such a small development. Unless they use this as a springboard to develop further into the woods at a later date.

They won't ever get planning permission for the woods, flume was an early 80's ride before planning restrictions got strict. It's too close to the protected gardens.

hmm....... I thought at first glance that it was for a twin track racer but nope looks like a regular woodie let's hope gci or rmc.

I'd like to think someone at merlin is wetting them selves laughing at all our speculation. I think it's important to remember we still know very little :)

I remember John and Morwenna's talks at the Thirteen evening back in 2010 featuring lots of screenshots of enthusiasts speculating about SW6 online. :p

I think we have to take the layout as a rough guide on what to expect really. This isn't a planning application in full and I would cautiously suggest they haven't finished on layout planning yet otherwise they would just as likely submit a full application (these applications are almost a "is it worth us wasting our time on this" question to planners and the council.

We will see.

I agree that this probably is not the final layout - it's likely to be the latest version they have at time of producing these scoping documents. However these submission is to determine whether or not the development will need an Envionmental Impact Assessment and will have nothing (or very little) to do with whether the development is likely to gain planning permission, that is out of the scope of this. If it need an EIA, which it almost certainly won't, then a heck of a lot of additional work is needed for the full planning application.

Of course they'll have been working closely with planning officers from SMDC throughout the planning of this development.
It seems odd that they aren't putting more track in this largely empty area given how short the ride is.

That is the high point of the land where this is being built. If they had more track up there then it would have to be fairly low to the ground so that it would be screened from outside of the park. Additional track up there would result in a poor layout, imagine Nemesis going back up to where the top of the lift is, wouldn't be great! It is logical to have the ride's high point on the highest bit of land and work down from there. Hope that makes sense!

-------

I agree with those that say after The Smiler a family/family-thrill coaster is due. Smaller woodies can still be great fun to ride. However as I've said previously I feel that both this and what is being built at BGW may be slightly underwhelming when both parks warrant awesome world class wooden coasters. That's not to say they won't both be good, I just think both parks could do more with a wooden coaster and are maybe installing them at the wrong time.

:)

For interest, the wooden structure (with catwalks) fits pretty snuggly inside the red lines of the drawing, so I'm afraid it rules out a racer:
26639812875_af5446fd2d_b.jpg

Mutiny Bay, Katanga and Towers Street could be viewed as the family area of the park, so it makes sense to have a family coaster here rather than some intense, multi-inversion Intamin or similar. Also, the area used is actually pretty compact, and the layout shown does make decent use of what is available.

For me, it is a shame it is not a water ride, as this will just leave the Rapids and Battle Galleons as the only way to cool off in a hot summer. But maybe the will look to add a new flume-type ride later on. I also think they should drop the SW8 tagline too, as it is going to lead to the wrong conclusion for the general public.

The 'general public' aren't going to know what it means, your average guest won't have a clue, they won't be thinking "this sw8 is a family ride but sw3 was Nemesis, this is an inappropriate use of the label."

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

.....which leads me to beg the question: Why bother putting SW8 on the banner at all then if 99% of visitors won't know what it's supposed to mean?

Primarily i think it was because everyone would have assumed that the Flume was going for budget reasons considering all the other closures this year. Think they wanted to hint to geeks that there was a longer term plan for that particular closure.

Also guests will still see the "new attraction" tagline so it's win win.

Primarily i think it was because everyone would have assumed that the Flume was going for budget reasons considering all the other closures this year.

Yeah, I get the need for the banner pointing out that there is a new ride coming, but that could have been achieved without also having SW8 in large writing on the banner. But you have also pointed out that this may be aimed at enthusiasts only. I am being very picky, but if they did make a point of putting SW8 on the banner for geeks only, then most geeks would instantly associate that with some mega new thing coming, which may or may not be the case. I don't really know if I'm actually trying to make any point at all to be honest, I just think they could have completely left SW8 off the banner altogether, especially if the ride turns out to not be very good. I don't really know what I'm going on about, but it would probably go back to an argument about what SW's are supposed to represent. And I really can't be bothered :confused:

then most geeks would instantly associate that with some mega new thing coming, which may or may not be the case
Yes, but this season, towers haven't really given us much to be positive about, besides sw8 and TCL (which seems to also be primarily aimed at geeks). Weather or not the final product is as good as we hope, at least this distracts us from what is arguably one of the worst seasons towers has had in a decade.

SW's represent big budget ride installations i would suggest. Spinball and Rita came at a time when AT management had moved away from the tagline for internal reasons (along with ITHOTMK and the Towers Street music), SW was ressurected for Th13teen.

Yeah, but my point was partly that a banner saying there was a new ride coming would have sufficed, and we would have got the message. I was merely pondering the need for the massive SW8 on the banner also, when most visitors don't really know or care what SW is. Like I said, I'm not even bothered enough to go into it any further, but I feel that you're slightly missing the pointless point that I was mentioning :)

Yeah, but my point was partly that a banner saying there was a new ride coming would have sufficed, and we would have got the message. I was merely pondering the need for the massive SW8 on the banner also, when most visitors don't really know or care what SW is. Like I said, I'm not even bothered enough to go into it any further, but I feel that you're slightly missing the pointless point that I was mentioning :)

Maybe there is a geek or two snuck into the park management or marketing teams
clear.png
;)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.