• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017/18: SW8 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I wonder if wardley would come out of retirement for a towers woody :D

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Yeah, but my point was partly that a banner saying there was a new ride coming would have sufficed, and we would have got the message. I was merely pondering the need for the massive SW8 on the banner also, when most visitors don't really know or care what SW is. Like I said, I'm not even bothered enough to go into it any further, but I feel that you're slightly missing the pointless point that I was mentioning :)

Baring in mind when the first banners went up around The Smiler's construction site they had SW7 in large letters/numbers on them, it shouldn't be too surprising to see SW8 on these banners. The GP were just as clueless as to what it meant then as they are now.
images

Going on the whole SW thing, Oblivion has SW4 marked on its supports. I'm think we may be surprised by this, layouts always look a bit meh in plan view.
Family or family-thrill I think this could be a great addition.

@DiogoJ42 it seems be be precident for fracking to happen in places of outstanding natural beauty.

I'm sure there will be a lot of fans (including a certain Mr Hine) sporting an Alton Towers woodie should they hear that JW has come out of retirement to plan the ride!!!!!

On a more serious note.... whats going to be the world first on this one?

Worlds first wooden coaster with wooden wheels?
Worlds first wooden coaster with holes in the floor so people run to control the speed (think Flintstones)
Worlds first wooden coaster fully dedicated to fastrack?

.... the mind boggles....

His cross valley woody design was absolutely epic, but would never get planning permission.

Was it though? Lift, big drop, back up, a couple of turns, lift, big drop, back up, brakes. No doubt the drops themsleves would have been epic but there was little else to the ride. Heck I could have desgined a coaster with drops that follow the profile of the valley (no disrespect to John Wardley intended here, just stating it was a simple design compared to say Nemesis).

You're right in saying it would never get planning permission, the report by planning officers to the SMDC planning comittee stated that the development was totally inappropriate. I doubt that situtation has changed much at all.

Of course there was also the woodie planning as part of Project Shark over in coaster corner, this was to be a woodie of similar size to what we are seeing for SW8. Alas that development fell through when Merlin took over.

My initial point of this post was going to be that we don't need John Wardley to design this coaster for it to be good. It would be great if he did and I'm sure he'd do the best layout he could be manufacturers such as GCI and Gravity Group are more than capable of desiging good woodies themselves. Wodan, Troy, Potato Land woodie and even some of the smaller ones more comparable to SW8 like White Lightning and El Toro (Freizeitpark Plohn).

Towers have considered woodies on all scales in the past from thrill to family. It looks like we are getting a more family one this time around. What intrigues me the most is that they have already confirmed that SW8 will be a new concept so what is this? And why the bizzare looking lift hill with a changing gradient a third of the way up? There will be more to this than meets the eye I feel.

:)

Well, well, well. What's all this then? A potential woodie for Alton?

Looks like speculation is already well underway. I shall remain cautiously optomistic until I see the finalised plans. Exciting stuff though :D

Was it though? Lift, big drop, back up, a couple of turns, lift, big drop, back up, brakes. No doubt the drops themsleves would have been epic but there was little else to the ride.
The same could be said about Oblivion...

The same could be said about Oblivion...

Indeed. I suppose with Oblivion the biggest feat was the technology needed for a vertical drop coaster rather than the layout itself. We could all have designed Oblivion's layout!

:)

Hmm... with that logic, the only way this layout could be worthy of the SW tag is to slap on a WORLDZ F1RST!!!

My money is on a "hand stand" train. Think stand-up, combined with flyer-esque tilting cars, only instead of tilting 90', they go a full 180', so you spend the whole ride upside down.

Seems like exactly the kind of staw they would clutch at, if you ask me.

I'm sure there will be a lot of fans (including a certain Mr Hine) sporting an Alton Towers woodie should they hear that JW has come out of retirement to plan the ride!!!!!

On a more serious note.... whats going to be the world first on this one?

Worlds first wooden coaster with wooden wheels?
Worlds first wooden coaster with holes in the floor so people run to control the speed (think Flintstones)
Worlds first wooden coaster fully dedicated to fastrack?

.... the mind boggles....

The worlds first Wooden Rollercoaster!

They'll just ignore the fact that anyone else has one. It worked for Galactica!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.