2017/18: SW8 Speculation

Discussion in 'Future Discussion' started by TheBeast, 3rd Sep 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaxPower

MaxPower TowersStreet Member

Some of my friends who have visited assume that the new ride will be called SW8, pronouncing it SWAIT. I think the SW tag is completely lost on most guests.

2. Leah

Leah TowersStreet Member

Hope you corrected them ;)

MaxPower likes this.
  3. Ted

Ted TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix
    I don't disagree with this. I said to my Mum that Towers' next major investment is nicknamed SW8 and she thought it meant South West 8, which the postcode for Vauxhall in London.

jack_s and MaxPower like this.
  4. MaxPower

To be honest, I never try to correct people about stuff like that.

I just find people's eyes glaze over if I do.

jon81uk and phildenholm like this.
  5. tayspru

tayspru TowersStreet Member

The path that runs under the lift hill and alongside the coaster is usually opened for Scarefest and Fireworks - could we see this being made a permanent route to Gloomy Wood? I can easily imagine seeing the train launch over and then dive under the path as a great photo opportunity. Plus, it would give great views of the coaster, and would work as a genuine shortcut if indeed this does lead to the closure of Haunted Hollow in favor of a queue line. Could even be room for a flat up by the turnaround (that part may be wishful thinking).

6. James

James TS Founding Member

"New ride" could mean anything. "SW8" makes it seem like something more, something important, maybe something big. It's a talking point, whether you're an enthusiast or a passer by it does get you wondering what will be new at Alton Towers soon.

Obviously it's more aimed at us lot, although it is a project title and I find it's more useful to tease new rides with project titles to gauge more interest.

As for this ride using the SW title. I don't see the problem really. It's a big project, and I like the big projects using the SW title personally. At the end of the day does it really matter?

7. JB1985

JB1985 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Oblivion
    I think that was my point.... I have no problem with this behind an SW really it's just not, or doesn't appear to be, in the same vein as the SW's were originally meant to be. What will be will be I guess. We may yet get our killer woodie but some how I think we will be disappointed. The layout suggested looks tame, but it could be saved by an inversion or two and a launch

8. Dar

Dar TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Hasn't an LSM/LIM launch like Dollywood's coaster been ruled before due to the park's lacklustre electricity supply?

9. delta79

delta79 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    Vauxhall, its a clue. It going to be a vehicle themed ride :D

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Ted likes this.
  10. Jonathan

Jonathan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix <3
    If we're going along that basis, then SW7 would have been themed around the Royal Albert Hall, Imperial College London and the museums at South Kensington. :p

JB1985, DiogoJ42, Ted and 2 others like this.
  11. Altonadvocate1

Altonadvocate1 TowersStreet Member

The SW tag carries a huge amount of weight. Misuse it too often and it loses that.

I don't think a family woody could be seen as groundbreaking, or SW calibre.

Even if the layout looks disappointingly small, there has to be something new, unique or spectacular about this.

Just hope the new guys know what they are doing...

Oh sod it.. I'll just say what we're all thinking.

We want Wardley!
    We want Wardley!
    We want Wardley!

Just do or pay whatever it takes to get him back, give him full creative control, like in 1994, light the blue touchpaper and stand back.

Last edited: 25th Apr 2016
    Olii, danni87, JB1985 and 2 others like this.
  12. Ted

Ted TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix
    Wait wait wait, I've just remembered MI6 building is there. It's going to be a James Bond themed ride! :p

Jonathan likes this.
  13. Altonadvocate1

Actually whilst we're at it get Warner Stengel on the case with JW too...

People who REALLY know how to design a SW.

14. delta79

delta79 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis, Air
    If its a water ride, james pond :D

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Spark, bdl, jonny9403 and 4 others like this.
  15. Leah

Leah TowersStreet Member

Actually, I'm sure wardley has designed some woodies for towers that never materialized. Surely it would still count as his input if they were to borrow some of the old shelved ideas or themes.

Altonadvocate1 likes this.
  16. MaxPower

I would be quite happy if this is a family attraction, but the theming needs to be seriously good.

The park should focus on getting families back, but the last thing they need is ride which over promises and under delivers.

UserDeleted likes this.
  17. Altonadvocate1

His cross valley woody design was absolutely epic, but would never get planning permission.

I'm sure I've seen a transcript where JW said he had designed over a dozen wooden for AT, but I can't remember where.

Maybe this is a JW design, but I can't help thinking it doesn't look like JW.

Of course this is me making a quick judgement from very limited information.

Here's hoping that when we see the full plans we will all be won over.

Even Nemesis may not look amazing from an brief, simply drawn, overhead perspective.

18. DaveWWFC

DaveWWFC TowersStreet Member

Sure Wardley mentioned a 'spooky circus woodie' at one of his talks - not sure if it was intended for Towers or not. Would love to have seen plans/concepts for that!

Olii and JB1985 like this.
  19. Leah

Leah TowersStreet Member

This might not be the final layout, so I wouldn't completely rule out a coaster at least based on a wardley layout. Even if it's not though, one of his themes or concepts could still be used if he came up with any.

20. James

James TS Founding Member

Yeah that was for Towers. I'm not sure where in the park it was planned, although Candy Holland created the concept. It sounded pretty interesting.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

DaveWWFC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.