• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017/18: SW8 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
U.K.'s first modern woodie for 22 years by the time it opens. They could even use launch technology. Who knows what usp will be until they tell us.

If it was to be a steel coaster, I'm sure the layout would be more drawn out, other than as tight as it is showing. Also steel has more flexibility and would possibly mean having a single pitched lift/launch hill, where as this plan we have shows two pitches.

I'm kinda hoping that it would be a first draft of a proposal just to,show layout, as I thinking it would be a very odd looking lift hill/launch even on a woodie. I still can't get my head round Twister at Knobles, call me a traditionalist but I prefer a straight lift hill.

Hmmmm....I would imagine if something unique is happening then that would explain the reason for the lift.

Or we could have a washing machine element in the pre show building lol

To me it looks like clearance for the break run like others have said. I would hope that there would be some kind of theming or tunnel to mask the change in angle otherwise it would look!!!!! Just odd.

Like I said said before, I hope it would be a first draft we are seeing. Hopefully it's just a layout plan given to the people responsible for the environmental screening.

If this turn out to be a woodie, I would hate it to go down as the worlds straingest lift hill on a coaster that looks sooooo odd. Usp? Prob not what Alton want.

Through bad planning of the break run.
Saying that they did say that they canned the original plan in FV due to cost of rock excavation and all.
Maybe due to cost limitations they decided to create a more expensive lift hill, so the did not have to excavate any part of the land to incorporate a decent break run.

The only other reason I can think of is that they have already lined up TG Crud to do the work and not trust them with too much ground works??

Last edited:
Excuse my global knowledge of rides isnt amazing but has there been a launch on a wooden coaster before?

Lightning Rod at Dollywood is the first and it's supposed to open this year but they've been having trouble with it.

Hmmm.... Europe's first launched wooden coaster? Then again, Alton like to do worlds first's dont they! Thanks for the info though Dar.

Hmmm.... Europe's first launched wooden coaster? Then again, Alton like to do worlds first's dont they! Thanks for the info though Dar.

They have no trouble marketing Galactica as a World's First, seemingly ignoring the (fully dedicated to) VR coasters that came before it. :rolleyes:

Maybe they're planning on using the old Flume foundations for a new ride later?

:p

They would *almost* have room to build a brand new flume on the footprint of the old one and still have room to put in this proposed coaster.

I know that long meander around the woods was rough and bumpy but at the same time it was beautiful and tranquil. I agree that it will be a massive loss.

Can the park really afford not to replace the flume? I don't think so.

They could afford it but they won't. It's Merlin, they need to appease the shareholders. As much as Alton management would probably love to build a new flume at the same time. Merlin will not allow two large ride projects at once.

That is why I started the thread about CATFC possibly being included in 2018, it would be two new attractions, but one at a cheaper cost due to it being a refurb.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.