2017: CBeebies Land Hotel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rob, 20th Mar 2014.

1. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    This should probably be in the Planning Portal sub-forum but I'm unable to create a topic there.

Anyway, Alton Towers submitted plans for the Spa expansion on March 10th and the associated documents were uploaded yesterday.

The application and documents can be viewed here.

Description of proposal:

A few things I have noticed from a quick viewing of the plans:

- All of the drawings show the already approved ATH extension and the new Spa expansion will connect to this. Does this hint to the ATH extension being built at the same time?
    - The Spa Garden will feature what is being called a "fantastical object"; I had to laugh at them calling it that in the application!
    - The internal layout plans show the much larger reception area. Here there is both a hotel and spa reception. Access to this reception is from the current hotel and a new entrance from the side where the lodges will be built.

:)

Posted 20th Mar 2014
  2. James

James TS Founding Member

I wonder if they are really being serious with "fantastical object". :p

Here is said object anyway (taken from one of the "Proposed elevations" documents):

[​IMG]

Wow, so fantastical!

It looks like this will carry some seaside theme (similar to what theme the Spa already carries).

I really hope the hotel extension gets built with this and all of these things happen with the lodges. Would be great to see 2015 be a major resort expansion!

Posted 20th Mar 2014
  3. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Thinking about it over the closed season they have removed a lot of trees behind the ATH garden, it looks very bare there now. Could this have been in preparation for the hotel extension?

Posted 20th Mar 2014
  4. Ollie

Ollie TowersStreet Member

With a separate hotel check-in desk and 'Hotel/Spa' lounge it looks like the new hotel extension could be some sort of special/upgraded accommodation offering, possibly adults only?

Otherwise, I do not see how the new rooms would be easily accessible from the existing hotel, as they would be a long walk round corridors or a trip outside? Correct me if I am wrong, but wither way I think this is a real possibility.

Posted 20th Mar 2014
  5. James

James TS Founding Member

The (planned) rooms for the hotel extension are executive suites - so it will be aimed at the corporate and higher end market. May be a possibility they will be aimed at large families too, although unlikely. :)

Posted 20th Mar 2014
  6. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Also looking at the plans it appears there are some quite big internal changes to the spa, with the male changing rooms being expanded and the female changing rooms being removed/converted to a different room, I assume changing will then be unisex?

The exisiting internal wooden sauna also looks like it will be removed/relocated as well as both of the sensory showers and I can't see where these would be relocated. There is also at least three new treatment rooms shown on the ground floor (at present there are only second floor treatment rooms)

All the plans also show the hotel extension so I agree with Rob this is still prep work for the new rooms to be built along the back of the garden, as the walkway to these rooms would run along as part of the top floor of the Spa extension.

The new reception may be in preparation for the new rooms as well so that people staying in them can enter directly through the new side door that also leads towards the lodges. Maybe the new hotel extension (if it is built) will be VIP or similar and therefore have a dedicated check-in desk?

The original extension plans were for family suites, but the lodges are going to be family suites I think. Therefore for the new extension rooms to be aimed at adults with a VIP lounge that would make sense. Also being a long walk from the main atrium of the hotel would almost be a good thing, as it means the rooms would be quieter.

Posted 20th Mar 2014
  7. Craig

Craig TS Administrator Team Member

Looks quite interesting this! I also spotted the hotel reception, and strongly believe that we may indeed be seeing some sort of separate premium spa break hotel. The new plans include a conservatory which would lead out onto the outdoor spa garden on the opposite side to the current one. As the hotel extension plans included plans to get rid of that conservatory and add a relaxation room and further treatment rooms, I think it's likely we may see this in the not too distant future.

I've done a very quick overlay of the spa extension plans in relation to the current spa building if people are a bit stuck with where it'll fit

[​IMG]

One other thing I've noticed is that the document "proposed level 1" includes the text 'internal spa layout is for illustration purposes only'. A strong indication of a lot of work which could potentially happening across the whole spa building. Exciting stuff :D

There's also a quick news article online too :).

Posted 20th Mar 2014
  8. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

It certainly seems that they are going to do something similar to Chessington and call the hotel extension a third hotel with it's own mini brand. Though without it's own restaurant and bar I don't know how successful that will be. Though the proposed lounge might be a bar/ restaurant area.

Certainly nice to see some significant resort investment.

Posted 20th Mar 2014
  9. PeteB

PeteB TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Actually quite impressed for once. The spa extension looks like it's being done 'the right way'.

Still have concerns over building a hotel extension at the bottom of the garden area though.

Posted 20th Mar 2014
  10. CoasterCrazyChris

CoasterCrazyChris TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    The plans look really well done, it looks as if the extension will be in the same style as the existing hotel which is good.

11. Ben

Ben TS Founding Member

Favourite Ride:
    Your Dad
    As a fan of the Spa already Im happy to see these plans and think it really could work.

Im actually really impressed that the 'spa hotel' will become a thing too, perhaps with these larger suite rooms there will be access to the relaxation rooms and pools included as part of the room rate.

Again though I can't understand how the hotels are being allowed to expand more with no additional restaurant and bar areas?
    They are quite often too busy now, but Alton seem happy to keep chucking more and more people with no expanded operation areas. I just dont get it.

12. Johno

Johno TowersStreet Member

Perhaps, it hints that we will see a planning application for an entertainments complex soon.

'Required because of the severe lack of restaurants and dining options in the resort'...

13. BigHairJoe

BigHairJoe TowersStreet Member

Would make sense for an entertainment complex would make it more of a resort all year round if more things were going on at the hotels over closed season

14. James

James TS Founding Member

The Spa extension has been approved!

Posted 8th May 2014
  15. Scott

Scott Former TS Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    From TowersStreet News:

Posted 8th May 2014
  16. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

I hope this will include an expansion of the changing areas - they're cramped and chronically undersized and the worst thing about the current Spa. :)

Posted 8th May 2014
  17. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

I'm fairly sure it does, I think the changing rooms are expanding into the old reception area.

Posted 9th May 2014
  18. Rob

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    I can't seem to find a topic for the ATH 'extension' so thought I'd post this here for now and it can be moved if necessary. TowersStreet have just posted this photo to Facebook:

[​IMG]

Looks like the proposed plans are actually happening! It's pleasing in one respect as it does add more accommodation options but it will sad to have the views from ATH partially spoilt by the new building. I'd imagine they plan to open it along with the Spa expansion.

There really is a lot going on with the resort side of things now, and it's going to put even more pressure on the need for more entertainment options.

19. Sazzle

Sazzle TS Administrator Team Member

So long as we're sure this isn't just drainage to compensate for all this heavy rain we're having... (hehehehe).

Fantastic news to see things moving on the Resort expansion but I'm with you Rob on the query over entertainments!

There are very limited things to do of an evening on Resort (not that I've stayed in a while, on account the prices are ridiculously high), and they could do with options such as film showings, a quiet bar that doesn't get infiltrated by pirate bill and close at early hours, and a proper cocktail bar that doesn't serve drinks out of sachets.

Oops... how negative of me :-/

20. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    We can only hope that increased demand brings the above.

When you think about it half the hotels at Europa Park wouldn't have that much to do if it was by itself but because each caters to something different and you can cross between all of them there's plenty to do.