• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
@Martin that's exactly what I have been saying on the whole.

Bar the treat everyone as equal thing - like I said previously, you need to offer different levels of product and the VIP pass is (currently) the top end of that.

The DYKWIAM BS is wrong and I am sure it is frustrating for some staff, but the solution is not to scrap the pass and withdraw premium options from the product. The VIP pass is literally an extension of fast track.

Looking at ride times this weekend it doesn't appear to have been a particularly Stella one for Towers, queues where decidedly average despite 20+ heat and school holidays.

Does make you worry that the Smiler effect is never going to go away.

I believe the gate figures tbis weekend have actually been alright.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It was busy today the smiler was 40 mins wait when I went on and was 70mins earlier in day nemesis had a queue as well as river rapids (30 mins ) and runaway mine train (30mins) air car park in use too

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

My only concern is when the crowds pick up in summer is there enough for guests to do with depleted line up?

This is where flat rides etc could have come in handy (potentially) to thin out some queues. I expect to see an increase in visitors this year anyway, but if we get some decent weather for prolonged periods (unlikely, I know) then the place should be very well visited. Hopefully they'll cope with the crowds if they do materialise......

You doubt crowds will pick up or the line up will improve? Interesting point I noticed on wait times was the new zoom ride was on zero mins so that's very popular

I doubt the line-up's going to improve. They could always open Sub-Terra again to help a bit, but I honestly don't know if they'll bother.

I believe the gate figures tbis weekend have actually been alright.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ride times must have been way out then, only looked a couple of times but galactica never went above 10minutes.

I think the Smiler effect is over exaggerated, although of course the Merlin board will still wheel it out as an excuse to shareholders to mask their strategic failings. I've long said that Smiler story was practically dead way before many of us on here perceived it to be.

People aren't going because of decreases in the ride lineup, laughable opening hours and outrageous hotel prices. All self inflicted. Towers is seen as poor value for money, especially when all you have to do is wait another year and SW8 will be open.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Hotel wanted (out of curiosity) £370-390 for a single night this Saturday for two adults... Granted a suite but even then...

That's without any tickets or anything on top...

So looking at over £450 for the whole thing, where's the value for money gone?

Hotel wanted (out of curiosity) £370-390 for a single night this Saturday for two adults... Granted a suite but even then...

That's without any tickets or anything on top...

So looking at over £450 for the whole thing, where's the value for money gone?

A suite has always been that sort of price and even for a standard room at ATH I have never seen a Saturday night for under £170 (in the last 15 years anyway). I don't think Saturday night accommodation at ATH has ever offered great value for money. If you had four people in the room then I guess £170 doesn't seem too bad for location etc, but Saturdays have always been the worst value.

I think the Smiler effect is over exaggerated, although of course the Merlin board will still wheel it out as an excuse to shareholders to mask their strategic failings. I've long said that Smiler story was practically dead way before many of us on here perceived it to be.

People aren't going because of decreases in the ride lineup, laughable opening hours and outrageous hotel prices. All self inflicted. Towers is seen as poor value for money, especially when all you have to do is wait another year and SW8 will be open.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

It's a mixture of both. I've still heard many people when I've mentioned Alton Towers this year saying they wouldn't go to that death trap.

It's a mixture of both. I've still heard many people when I've mentioned Alton Towers this year saying they wouldn't go to that death trap.
Yes it is I agree. I wouldn't suggest otherwise, of course it is indeed having an impact still.

But that impact isn't as big as you may think, the story was all but dead this time last year bar a last few desperate attempts by the odd news outlet to keep it going. I would also argue that many of those who now hold Towers in contempt after the crash are the kind of people who where unlikely to visit anyway.

As far as planning on visiting in 2017 or not - most people I speak to, or people I see posting on social media are talking about value related things such as the ride lineup, pricing, hotel pricing and operating hours. On top of that there's a lot of "I'll go when that new ride opens next year".

I asked 7 friends if they wanted to go to Alton last weekend. They all said they'll never go back after the crash so ended up going alone!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.