• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
It's true. People with more money pay for better services than those with less. Whether that be the cars they drive, the holidays they take, the shoes they wear or the type of annual pass they hold.
"Sorry but capitalism exists" can be used to justify pretty much anything. Doesn't make it ok, the point of theme parks surely is to get away from all that, why should someone have to feel they're having a less fun day and that the park cares less about them (they don't, but it's nice not to have it rubbed in) because they don't have the considerable money for a VIP pass?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Basically the first ride of the day is walk on (via the exit or disabled entrance) if it's a major ride then the current time+queue time is written on the RAP card (so if it's 10:30 on oblivion with a queue time of 20 minutes it would be 10:50) and a RAP user (the one with the red wristband) is unable to use another major ride until the time passes. More minor like duel don't have any restrictions ,and can be used whilst waiting for a major ride.
For some people (like me it's the ONLY way Alton is bearable)

On opening day there was some sort of VIP Event meaning there were quite a few of these passholders on park. I'm not particularly offended by the idea of it. However, what was vomit inducing was the attitude of a lot of the people flaunting their passes and mentioning they were "VIPs" at every outlet at every possible time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mmm free bacon cobs :D well worth the £699 pass

"Sorry but capitalism exists" can be used to justify pretty much anything. Doesn't make it ok, the point of theme parks surely is to get away from all that, why should someone have to feel they're having a less fun day and that the park cares less about them (they don't, but it's nice not to have it rubbed in) because they don't have the considerable money for a VIP pass?
But Alton and any other business does exist because of capitalism.

I don't understand why you are drawling the line where you are drawing it. What about all the people who don't have enough money for a day ticket to Alton? Let alone a standard, premium or God forbid a VIP pass... By your logic, the perception would be that the park doesn't "care" about them at all?

People can eat in the Secret Garden, Burger Kitchen or they can bring some sandwiches. Different people can afford different things. That's the way life works.

Last edited:
I guess I can't make it any worse. Everyone already hates me :eek:
ub720QO.jpg
1. Im sure ive seen you on the skyride. 2. Really they couldnt come up with a better looking card? Thats a bit lazy

I'm not sure I'd spend that much on a pass myself, but if you are the type of person to visit a Merlin attraction each weekend, there is probably value to be had there.

I don't have an issue with the existence of the VIP pass, but my experience of the passholders on park is that all of them seem to exhibit DYKWIA (Do You Know Who I Am) behaviour.

It would be hypocritical of me to condemn elite status - it's not too dissimilar from hotel and frequent flyer programs and, just like those, there's a difference between being considerate and showing off.

With the Merlin VIP pass in particular, that it's open to anyone who pays enough money upfront is probably what results in such a high frequency of entitled behaviour. Perhaps if the VIP pass was by invitation only, and included some loyalty/overall spend criteria in its eligibility (instead of an upfront fee), I reckon you'd end up with a more considerate group of passholders.

This group use to be cool man, cool !
We should be uniting on the common enemy here, MERLIN
Don't blame us for buying something if its for sale.
All those who upgrade to a PMAP as they offer better perks... shame on you ! shame!
People wont be happy until we are all the same, but we are not
we are all different
we are all individuals

we are people too

:cool:

I don't have an issue with the existence of the VIP pass, but my experience of the passholders on park is that all of them seem to exhibit DYKWIA (Do You Know Who I Am) behaviour.

It would be hypocritical of me to condemn elite status - it's not too dissimilar from hotel and frequent flyer programs and, just like those, there's a difference between being considerate and showing off.

With the Merlin VIP pass in particular, that it's open to anyone who pays enough money upfront is probably what results in such a high frequency of entitled behaviour. Perhaps if the VIP pass was by invitation only, and included some loyalty/overall spend criteria in its eligibility (instead of an upfront fee), I reckon you'd end up with a more considerate group of passholders.
Why not just rename the pass? something like "platinum"

I agree, calling in the Platinum pass would make much more sense and cause less head aches for everyone!

:)

I'm not convinced it would be quite as strong a proposition.

Well yes, it wouldn't be any good for those with an inferiority complex! ;)

I just think if the name was changed yet the benefits stayed the same you would lose some of the issues that staff have been experiencing since the introduction of the pass. No-one should be able to demand things that they are not obliged to get just because they have paid money to call themsleves a VIP.

:)

But Alton and any other business does exist because of capitalism.

I don't understand why you are drawling the line where you are drawing it. What about all the people who don't have enough money for a day ticket to Alton? Let alone a standard, premium or God forbid a VIP pass... By your logic, the perception would be that the park doesn't "care" about them at all?

People can eat in the Secret Garden, Burger Kitchen or they can bring some sandwiches. Different people can afford different things. That's the way life works.

Existing under capitalism and because of capitalism are two different things, unless you think people would not enjoy amusement rides under any other economic system, but anyway I'm not sure what that has to do with at least pretending to respect your customers.
The price of a day ticket, with vouchers, is a lot more affordable than a VIP pass, and yes, my perception is that of course they don't care about people who can't afford to go, it is capitalism after all. Everyone who walks through the gates should be treated more or less equally, if someone wants to spend more then fine, but the DYKHIA attitude doesn't really belong in a theme park. Like, I sort of sympathise with the argument that's made for fastpass that if people have more money than sense, take them for all they have, but I agree with the criticisms of the pass in this topic. Don't know why disliking the pass has to mean you don't understand economics or whatever. The pass exists, capitalism exists, you can like or dislike either or both, I don't get this point you're making.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.