• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Maybe some sort of seat belt could be an answer - i remember going on a Rapids ride in the past, not sure where that featured aircraft style seat belts

We've discussed this before, the rapids rides in Florida that have belts also have steep drops. Most rapids don't have seatbelts as they might slow down escape in the event of a capsize. I think the design of the rafts on the rides with belts might be different to ensure people have time to escape in a capsize.

When did now tv start harassing people at merlin parks?
They were doing it last weekend. Remember when they gave out free Coke Zero whilst the park was selling it for £3 or whatever 20ft away? That was joyful.

Also I got ID twice today at the rapids entrance :) Then they gave me the job of babysitting three 15 years old boy's (that I never met before) on the rapids :rolleyes:
That feels like it makes a mockery of the whole thing...?

With the age restrictions even with an adult present a kid could still stand up at the wrong time and get thrown out almost immediately so the whole adult thing makes zero difference to safety so completely pointless and shows the park are clearly incapable of enforcing remain seated at all times otherwise this would not be in place.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Short of tying people down to the boats how can the park enforce seating policy?

There has to be an element of guests actually following the park rules, and the point is that by at least having an adult (who is hopefully responsible) around to aid the park implement the rules... After all, it's in their own interests that Timmy doesn't get thrown out...

Park truly are damned regardless of what they do... Do nothing and it looks bad on them in the media world, do something and it's 'H&S GONE MAD!'...

They were there a couple of weeks a go and still there today. You can get 50% off Merlin attraction entry with Now TV http://www.nowtv.com/days-out :rolleyes:

They must have some deal with the Murdoch's - the Sun vouchers, Now TV on site plus the 50% off and you get a free Now TV pass with online tickets - although I never got the email they promise to send with the information about how to claim. Doesn't bother me, the less money I give to the Murdoch corporation the better!

Also I got ID twice today at the rapids entrance :) Then they gave me the job of babysitting three 15 years old boy's (that I never met before) on the rapids :rolleyes:

Did they ask you if you wanted to babysit them in the raft? I would refuse personally, because heaven forbid anything happens to them, you could be held responsible as you were the "responsible adult" supervising them

They what now? That is setting a very dangerous precedent and is totally wrong, pretty much asking a guest to take some of the responsibility for the safety of those under 18. And as Rick says it also makes a mockery of the whole policy.

:)

With the age restrictions even with an adult present a kid could still stand up at the wrong time and get thrown out almost immediately so the whole adult thing makes zero difference to safety so completely pointless and shows the park are clearly incapable of enforcing remain seated at all times otherwise this would not be in place.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
They "could" still stand up with an adult present, yes, but the likelihood is reduced with an adult there. Plus it's much easier to hold an adult fully responsible. The park is accountable and is rightly putting measures in place to hold guests responsible for their own actions.

The alternative to this is the mindset that sees the fencing off of little piles of rocks and putting OTS restraints on everything to "enforce" safety.

Did they ask you if you wanted to babysit them in the raft? I would refuse personally, because heaven forbid anything happens to them, you could be held responsible as you were the "responsible adult" supervising them

They what now? That is setting a very dangerous precedent and is totally wrong, pretty much asking a guest to take some of the responsibility for the safety of those under 18. And as Rick says it also makes a mockery of the whole policy.

I personally don't mind sharing a boat and they were asking others if they were willing to share with strnagers so that anyone under the age of 18 can ride. My only concern was, if any of these under 18 decides to stand up and fall in, will I be held responsible as I'm the one who is over the age of 18?

DDpazymWAAAXv6h

Installed new sprinkler on the smiler track

Does anyone know what that could be for?

My guess would be to cool, clean or lubricate something.

Got to be to cool the running gear of the trains as it isn't really spraying on the track.

I ask the ride ops yesterday and yes they are to cool the wheels down

I personally don't mind sharing a boat and they were asking others if they were willing to share with strnagers so that anyone under the age of 18 can ride. My only concern was, if any of these under 18 decides to stand up and fall in, will I be held responsible as I'm the one who is over the age of 18?

And that is the big problem with them doing this. It is very very murky water. Technically you would not be responsible no however I am sure you would be involved in legal proceedings one way or another. It is just wrong of Alton Towers to ask guests to take extra responsibilty, even if in legal terms it means nothing.

And that is the big problem with them doing this. It is very very murky water. Technically you would not be responsible no however I am sure you would be involved in legal proceedings one way or another. It is just wrong of Alton Towers to ask guests to take extra responsibilty, even if in legal terms it means nothing.

It's kids parents I'd be worried about. Guarantee they'd try to sue the responsible adult in the boat at the time, whoever they were - because of course their little Jonny would not have been at fault and never have done anything wrong.

Public backlash would also be a concern *if* a child did fall out and you were the adult. I can imagine it in the Daily Fail "the person responsible for letting our child die". I can't imagine it would do the adult in the boat well mentally too, as they've been given the responsibility to ensure someone elses safety.

It's nice they're trying not to upset loads of younger guests, however it should not be down to a stranger to ensure little ones don't break the rules.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.