• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Ticket prices have increased at the gate :(
Adult was £52.80 now £54.00
Kids was £46.80 now £48.00
Parking is still £6 for now but it will probably increase soon to £7 like Thorpe.

Who actually pays gate price these days though? It's such a shame that the price IS going up and the ride count down however most people either you pay online and it's £32 (I think) or you get some Kellogg's/Cadbury 2 for 1. Only the un-organised pay gate.

I actually went ahead and bought an Annual Pass for the first time. Pretty Sweet Deal IMO. I'm sure I'll use it at the very least for Scarefest and then SW8 opening day/week.

Based on what I've seen at Chessington and Thorpe, a lot more pay gate price than we think.

I'll never forget what my neighbour did, took their kids to Thorpe, paid gate price (£200) then only once they were in did they realise the kids could only go on Flying Fish and X because of their height, and they themselves were too scared to go on anything else, whilst she had thrown several kellogs boxes in the recycling that morning with 2-4-1 vouchers on. I won't tell you what they do for a lliving other than to say pre-planning and research is a key part of it...

Online price and 2 4 1, are brilliant. Actually pay those prices that park almost seems worth it. The on the gate price is just sheer greed. But that's big business for you! Charge the stupid. Even my rugby league side does it. 3 games for £45. Or £20 on the gate. I.e playing well supported away teams. Get them to pay £2 more then normal.

Im sure they'll be a few pay on the gate for all manner of reasons. Just makes a cheeky trip out of the question.

Last edited:
Groups of 3 often struggle!
Half price entry offers aren't common, I got a soap dispenser offer just for the half price single entry.
Non geek mates often ask how to get the 3rd person in their group in cheap...
I tell them to take me for free on a second 2.4.1.

I'd much rather they got rid of 2for1 and just dropped the gate price to £32 (current online price). Maybe then drop the online one slightly more £28.8 maybe so 10% off).
But of course having the name of your theme parks splashed all over cereal packets is good advertising I guess so I don't think it will change any time soon.

More mid-season price increases, wow. This is the type of thing I wouldn't mind being picked up by the media and them getting a tonne of bad press for how expensive it is to take your family to a Alton Towers.

I know next to no-one pays it but £54 is a joke. I pray for the day that Towers have a total re-think of their pricing structure and the offers that are available.

:)

Also while £54 is a joke it can also be rationalised.

You get a whole seven hour day of entertainment, more in summer and at ScareFest/Fireworks (obviously how much of the seven hours is in rides/shows/exhibitions and how much is in queue is dependant on season too).
£54 divided by 7 is £7.71 an hour.
online price of £32 means on £4.57 an hour.

Cinema is approx £10 (depending where you are, I can pay £12 or more in London, other cities might be much lower) for up to two and a half hours of film. So £4 an hour

Go Ape is £35 for adults. It takes 2-3 hours to do the high ropes there, so £17.50-£11.66 an hour.

A music concert, can be £35 all the way up to £100 or even more, for 3 hours or so. so £11.66 - £33.33 an hour.

So as much as I am against the £54 price, the £32 online price probably is good value.

But is the park WORTH £54?

This is half the issue, is that people are getting in for cheap because of the numerous BOGOFs, BUT they still expect the quality of a product that is apparently worth £50 of cash... There is very little chance that any Merlin park in their current states can be considered to be worth £50+...

Most expensive on the gate ticket Europe wise is still Phantasialand at €45 correct? (discounting Disney, because Disney prices ARE obscene at the best of times)

Personally, I think they should re-introduce the off peak tickets to encourage people to visit during the week when the schools are back in. Why would someone pay £54 during the week when many rides dont open until 10:30 and the park closes at 4.

The gate price is the monetary figure that the park values the experience to be. A day out for £54 per person is certainly not worth queueing hours for Smiler in a dirty puddled cage, major rides with scenery & FX falling apart or half painted, much the park overgrown, many food outlets closed and whole sections of the park closed off (without any truthful explanation why).

This is the problem in my opinion. Compare the quality of other parks abroad in Europe that value themselves similarly to the quality of product at Alton Towers.

If you paid that much for a show only for much to be broken and a "most people wont notice" approach to funding FX maintenance, it'd be a rip off! But with theme parks I guess the public buy into the branding and continue to think they're getting the best product when they arent anymore.

And the fact that geographically people believe its their only option for big coasters and the like.

Last edited:
Its nice that you can say well its £7.71 an hour. Lets be honest its better then working in a job that pays £7.71 and hour. Thats a fact. Simple. But as some better Alton Towers enthusiasts then have said before the product is not as good as else where.

As mentioned in my previous statement you could support a local (or national) sporting team. That is now above £20 for 80/90 mins. Depending on what is your sport, of choice. For top sporting events such as The Premier league. You can spend upto and more then £54 for 90 mins of a watching very nice men, earning alot of money whilst not trying. This is not, as a professional Yorkshire man speaking, not value for money.

Lets look at Alton, becuase hey. Thats why we are all here. First of all as coaster people look at what we get. Nemesis, Oblivion, Air (refuse the new name sorry) The smiler, Rita (becuase hey we have to include that, its a rule for some reason) and Thirteen.Thats 6 coasters. £9 a ride. Not good. Add Spinball, Duel, Hex to that mix you are down to £6 per ride. If you add all the other (ahem) attractions the price per ride does come down. But wait, we'll have to queue, eat, wee, poo etc whilst on park so the chances of getting these are reduced. In conclusion. Hell no alton towers is not worth that price. Along with the fuel, Hotels (both on and off site) then your looking at less of day out. and more of a small holiday!

Value for money has gone in our society. Weep people. Into a expensive box of tissue.

I use my season ticket roughly weekly, more so off peak, and use it as a sort of club and pub membership, with rides attached.
Today I had a bad wet morning at work, so gave up and went for beer and coasters. My mood improved with each ride, more so with the two (reasonably priced) beers I had, in good company of strangers, and very friendly ride and senior staff.
The usual dozen rides in about three hours.
With my very cheap season pass, I know my rides work out at a little more than 20p each, and are good for my mental and physical health. Done it for many years, even with a bad back.
I'm not doing Merlin this year, but my Towers pass last year still gave me stunning value for money, and quality coasters at well under a quid each.
Value for money is still out there folks, if you seek it out.

The majority of visitors are families, or to a lesser extent groups of young adults who won't all have passes and visit more than once a year. If you're saying to get value for money you need to go by yourself several times a year, then that kind of proves a point that it's really not?

The real question is - should the park improve its quality and offering to match how it values itself, or lower its prices to recognise what its worth? We'd never get the latter because it isn't economical and would mean a stagnated park.

I do think the park should be raised to a much higher standard in its quality & offering - which Merlin can afford, but they send several times that much capital to building new legolands every year for the sake of "catching Disney" instead. But then again, so long as people widely buy into the promotion and pay high prices, then the company doesn't see any demand to be different, unfortunately. Would you get the same attitude toward the big European parks?

Last edited:
Some of you guys don't know how lucky you are. Our yearly visit includes flights from Belfast and back and car hire on top of the accommodation/park entry.

I don't care though, I love the place even with it's faults and just wish we could go more often but the additional cost of flights etc means one visit a year is all we can manage.

Anyway, 6am flight for us on Thursday for 3 days, staying at splash landings and I can't wait !!!

Im not saying anyone should stop enjoying something they love, but would it not be far better value to go to somewhere like Europa or Phantasialand if it involves a lot of travel either way? Where you're pretty much guaranteed a better offering anyway.

I wouldnt see the park's poor value as "faults" to be made peace with like its some kind of loving relationship! (Though Im sure all fans including me when I was younger have loved the park a bit too sentimentally in the past!).

It's a product that you're paying for, run by a huge multinational. Surely if the product is valued high but turns out to fall well below that value, there's reason to try and influence a change?

I know next to no-one pays it but £54 is a joke. I pray for the day that Towers have a total re-think of their pricing structure and the offers that are available.
I am really torn on this and that rarely happens with anything. £27 for a day at the park with a half price/BOGOF voucher is a steal, but it doesn't feel that way if the gate price is £27 and you pay that.

I think keeping the gate price high is the best option in terms of providing a perception of value and for giving you room to provide a discount, if the market conditions mean that you need to, or that it is desirable. This will become more important going forward, when ticket prices are part of a short break combined price.

If you do pay gate price, then you're an idiot. If you want one day at Magic Kingdom, that will set you back an eye watering $130+ tax.

I wonder how many people pay on the gate for Disney (at full price), it's not exactly a place you go to on a whim...

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.