• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
You're right on both fronts. In this current economic climate (and for the foreseeable future with Brexit) people haven't got that money to spend. So those prices are ridiculous especially as you have to pay in full and pay for cancellation insurance! ! Maybe nr London people will pay these prices at legoland, chessington and Thorpe but up this way no way! !! Suggestion to all buy a MAP for £130 go whenever the weather is good 5 or 6 times a year with a packed lunch and go to harvester or hungry horse in Stoke on way home. No need to spend money there works out at £20 a visit.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Absolutely right the removal of the deposit facility is a killer in these times.

We have a family MAP so most of our visits there we don't spend a penny (picnic from utox Tesco and a flask of coffee from the premier inn!). If the hotels were slightly more reasonable I'd definitely stay more. Around £125 a room would be about reasonable I'd say. It's also a bit of a cheek the water park isn't included in splash landings stays.

Totally agree. Its crazy to removal the deposit system. If you think about it, the cost for a family staying 2 or 3 nights with tickets etc is pretty much what they would pay for a package holiday, yet you can pay for a package holiday with a deposit and the remainder closer to the date. If Towers brought this back then I would be more inclined to book a stay. With regards the hotel prices, we all know its over priced, but if people could pay a deposit, I am sure some of us would accept this inflated price because we have more time to save and pay for it.

If the stays cost £100, maybe a little more for CBEEBIES they would fill All the rooms (X) so that is 100X and more people would be on park more inclined to spend money as they don't feel ripped off

If the stays cost £100, maybe a little more for CBEEBIES they would fill All the rooms (X) so that is 100X and more people would be on park more inclined to spend money as they don't feel ripped off

But that would mean the need to employ more staff, which would cost a lot more.

First rule of business, why make £1 each on a hundred people when you can make £10 each off twenty and it costs you 80% less in staffing costs (extreme example I know but when you runthis type of business, stack em high and flog them cheap doesn't work).

Around £125 a room would be about reasonable I'd say

Admittedly there is only two of us, but I've never paid more than £125 for ATH or Splash, and I wouldn't pay more than that anyway.

Also for those who want a deposit system, would you pay more for it (similar to Travelodge charging more for refundable bookings). For example if a room is £140 now with advance purchase no cancel rate, but £155 with the flexible deposit rate (pay £15 now and £140 later maybe cancellation allowed up to two weeks before) would you still use the deposit system? Personally I'd rather just pay the full cheaper price upfront.

Whatever model these business guys are using at present it's clearly not working otherwise I wouldn't keep getting emails this offer letters that promotion code. Just charge a sensible price and you can have 100% room occupancy straight away! without having to pay for markerting and promotionalsl Where are all these extra staff needed I'm sure the present number of staff that was there at half term should be able to cope with the work load . Although a few could improve their customer service skills! !!

I find it's best to make use of the 50% hotel offers that float around at the start of the year. The Sun do this although there were 50% offers elsewhere this year, and even one from Towers directly.

A deposit system would be nice. I pay for most holidays this way, and it's frustrating when it comes to Towers asking for it upfront, when the hotels are pretty expensive (without the offers mentioned above).

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Cheap ticket prices to encourage volume to the park to, paid for by stingy park operations. Park is used as an anchor for accommodation, where margin is not compromised. That's the business strategy.

If they've got empty rooms, but the full ones are sold at the right price, who cares? Yet the park is different as it's a pile 'em high game.

Whatever model these business guys are using at present it's clearly not working otherwise I wouldn't keep getting emails this offer letters that promotion code. Just charge a sensible price and you can have 100% room occupancy straight away! without having to pay for markerting and promotionalsl Where are all these extra staff needed I'm sure the present number of staff that was there at half term should be able to cope with the work load . Although a few could improve their customer service skills! !!

(the numbers are made up and may not reflect reality)

Extra staff is a simple thing, if you have 100 rooms with guests you need four housekeeping staff to clean them, extra waiting staff to bring food out at dinner and clear breakfast plates, more bartenders, more reception staff. As in @IanSR 's example you only have 20 rooms, but make the same profit on the higher price on them you don't need as many waiting staff in restaurants, you would only need one housekeeper to clean 20 rooms etc. There are easy cost savings to be made.

So its not that they need more staff than they had, its that by keeping Splash closed and forcing guests to pay more for ATH or CBeebies they can do more with the staff they have instead of opening more rooms at discounted prices and spending a lot on staff.

Also its often been proven that setting a high price then discounting it can work. For example a £20 t-shirt half price at £10 seems better than a £10 tee, you assume it will be better quality as it was a higher price.

More staff you say ? No they just come into your room before check out to start cleaning, make you wait a rediculous amount of time at the bar and never take enough booking for the restaurant so it's never at capacity :rolleyes:

Has the 2nd park entrance been used this year?(the one by Galactica)
I haven't seen it used since last year!

Ohh I should have put this in quick questions... Sorry.

Last edited:
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.