• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017 Heritage Stuff (The Real TLC)

As you can see from this photo, taken by someone involved with the restoration at the beginning of the project, the difference is pretty dramatic to say the least.

242h3z5.jpg

I've just walked past Pagoda. It looks absolutely mega, brand new, almost!
Finally! Looks excellent. Now to see the actual fountain turned on. And operating to its full power of the water reaching the Skyride :p
Whilst it would be cool to see, I suspect doing so would turn it back into a rather mouldy mess quite quickly.

Looks good. I wonder how long it will last? Modern paint just isn't as durable as the good old toxic stuff.

Wow, great work on both the Pagoda and the conservatories there. Now let's hope that they are kept in this condition and not left to fall into poor state again in another 5-10 years.

:)

So.....

This year we've seen The Swiss Cottage tidied up considerably. The Pergoda Fountain painted and restored, and now the Conservatories have received a full restoration inc all new glass. I'm sure there's been a few other little garden projects going on as well.

It begs the question - are the gardens going to be utilised more in 2018? Why do all this work just to leave them to sit and rot again? At the very least surely the conservatories will be used for something?

I don't think there has been a season without rumours that they're considering making use of the gardens again. Especially now they've got four of its 'landmarks' looking back to their best, at a fair cost, you'd think they'd want to show them off and try and get some of that money back.

I can't imagine adding any infrastructure to prevent 'garden only' guests getting into the rest of the park would anything other than a drop in the ocean in comparison to the money they've spent on restorations in this season alone.

Much, if not all, of the work has been done because they have been obliged to do so through S106 agreements when planning permission has been granted for various projects.

They had to spend £150,000 over 3 years from the opening of The Smiler on heritage and restoration projects and it was agreed that this would be spent on urgent repairs needed in the gardens.

:)

I do wonder if they are going for the gray pound on during season park closed days. With prebook garden tours, with coffee corner open for tea and cake. And the shop for buy your grandkids a present.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

The whole gardens will be fenced off and become and upcharge attraction next year.

It begs the question - are the gardens going to be utilised more in 2018? Why do all this work just to leave them to sit and rot again? At the very least surely the conservatories will be used for something?
If I remember, it's a part of the deal with English Heritage, to relax attraction planning conditions on the estate, to continually invest in restoring the gardens. Much of the gardens didnt get into the state they were in through age and lack of use alone, a lot of parts were deliberately stribbed to sell materials (or vandalised or incorrectly maintained over many years), so the restorations are really about righting the wrongs and keeping the structures from falling apart forever.

They won't necessarily rot again now that they've been restored fully, although obviously the park can't neglect maintaining them. But it's not necessarily because they have a plan in mind to put them back into everyday use.

(Edit) yes what Rob said