• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2017: Voletarium

I guess all you can do with these flying theatres is... fly.

The technology doesn't belong to Disney, a ride system is a ride system and manufacturers will seek to sell as many as possible.

I'm not struck with these rides though, but it's certainly well executed ride which will go down very well at EP and the feedback on their Facebook page is already very, very positive.

PortAventura and Futuroscope have also added similar rides this season and they seem to just... fly about over landmarks too!

:D

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Surely you could have some kind of story to it though? You could be flying through space on some kind of mission, a test pilot on a new plane, an alpine adventurer etc. All these concepts seem to lend themselves to some kind of story-arc, potentially with some kind of "peril" to add excitement to the story.

Flying over landmarks is very dull and generic. Especially if it cuts between scenes like Soarin', rather than being one fluent, continuous movie. Not immersive.

Especially if it cuts between scenes like Soarin', rather than being one fluent, continuous movie. Not immersive.
There's one thing I don't like about Voletarium. I found that the transitions between some of the scenes were quite poor, with some being just a very simple fade from A to B. Others are less offensive, using closeups of scenery to jump from one clip to the next, though a more flowing film overall wouldn't go amiss.

I think Europa-Park were keen to film their own stuff. One of Futuroscope's issues is the fact theres some CGI, which takes away a lot of the immersion. The film will change in future.

Ultimately, it's a ride which nobody here (myself included) is, or was, particularly excited about.

I just really like the theming.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

After much anticipation and excitement I finally got to ride Voletarium last week!

I'll get this out there straight away, I really do like this addition to the park. I admit that I am a biased fanboy but it fills a gap in the park's existing ride line-up so very well and is another ride, like Arthur, that the whole family can ride together and just enjoy. Sometimes there is nothing better than a ride that is quite simply enjoyable.

As has already been pointed out the quality of theming here is another step up for EP. Everything from the building (front end especially, you can tell the sides that face the park exterior have been done at a lower cost but that is fine), the queue and the new little area (the Voletarea) complete with food outlet and toilets is just sublime.

The queue line is a clear highlight here though. The details are so fine and it all builds up to the stunningly beautiful main hall at the end. The tapestries here are just something else. There is lots to look at in the queue as you discover how the Eulenstein's researched and developed their own flying machine, the Volatus II. It is however a pity that some of the desgins stuck onto the wall have started to be peeled off by inconsiderate guests.

The ride itself is just so pleasent and enjoyable; it is nothing to write home about but it was never going to be. I felt that on the whole the transitions between each scene worked well and the film was accompanied by a beautiful soundtrack (which will hopefully be released on CD sooner rather than later). The best parts of the film are as you swoop down towards various locations. Smells and mist add an extra dimension to the ride and I do like that you can see the Macks standing at the top of the Bell Rock lighthouse at the end! Plus the EP/Mack Media musical motif fits in perfectly at the very end as you retreat back to the loading bay.

A higher quality projected image would be nice and hopefully EP will look into upgrading the projectors in the near future. You can tell that it was all filmed in a higher quality than they are able to show off at the moment. Plus on one ride I had a problem where a quarter of the projection (the bottom triangle) was not working at all.

I suppose the biggest issue with Voletarium is operations. When they are good then all is fine, the queue moves quickly and it is what you expect from EP. However it is clear that many of the staff are still not used to the batching procuedure and overbatching into the bays was a common occurance. I am sure this will improve over time though. Also one morning only one of the theatres was in operation, when this happens the throughput is just dire and the timed ticket queue length increased substantially.

On the subject of timed tickets, generally speaking these worked very well. Getting the ticket is easy and the wait to board when you arrive in your slot is minimal (sometimes instant). As mentioned the only problem here was when one of the theatres was not in operation. The single rider queue also works well.

EP are still working on finishing some aspects of the ride's external theming. The workers move in after the park closes each night and seem to be there in the mornings also. It is also noticeable that, as we saw during our construction tour, one theatre is further ahead than the other. For example, one has a curtain to obsure the view of the screen before the ride starts whilst the other doesn't. And the ride structure's metal beams are themed in one theatre and not the other.

Top marks overall though, I was suitably impressed.

:)

IMAscore did the music for the First Flight Theory series on YouTube and this is also used at the end of the batching information video. However someone else, I forget their name, has composed the rest of the attraction/area soundtrack, and in true EP stype the little four note motif that Mack Media like to use is right at the end of the film.

I thought the music was done by IMAscore? o_O
IMAscore did the music for the First Flight Theory series on YouTube and this is also used at the end of the batching information video. However someone else, I forget their name, has composed the rest of the attraction/area soundtrack, and in true EP stype the little four note motif that Mack Media like to use is right at the end of the film.

Kolja Erdmann did the film score. :)

9496393d1511778797-2017-neuheit-voletarium-project-v-i-ride-brogent-technologies-europa-park-20171125_091634.jpg

Have just seen on CoasterFriends.de that they have added some large theming objects to the queue.

I was so pleased to ride Voletarium again over new year and see what is now the finished product. It is still such a beautiful ride from the moment that you enter the queue until you leave the shop.

Little bits of theming or final touches that were not complete in July are now as they should be and the quality of the film does appear to be slightly better now than it was then.

Voletarium has also been a huge success for Europa-Park. It is the most well recieved ride in the park with guest satisfaction of 95%, and queues in the rest of the park have been down by an average of 10 minutes throughout 2017 despite record visitor numbers.

I'm delighted for the team behind the ride as it is evident just how much work went in to the project. I can't wait to see what they do with it in the future regarding new or additional films!

The main film soundtrack from Voletarium has been uploaded to YouTube by someone. I've just listened to it again having not ridden the attraction since August, and it really strikes me how bland it is, to me anyway. I've been on the ride 4 or 5 times now and the music is really unmemorable, even after listening to it 5 minutes ago I can't quite remember how it goes. For me, it should have been more like the Adventure Club Of Europe theme, The Mystery Of Existence. Have a listen for yourselves.

I can't be the only one that thinks this, surely? :)

I can't be the only one that thinks this, surely? :)

I don't think you are the only one, I've heard that same comment made by a few people.

I love the ride soundtrack though, it goes perfectly with the ride itself and having been to EP on two occasions now with Voletarium open it has managed to stick in my head.

I know a large proportion of EP’s customers won’t have done Soarin. Inevitably for most enthusiasts though it’s going to be compared to just that.

In that vein, the queue line blows Soarin out of the water. With that being said, having gotten your hopes up with the queue, the ride itself is even more of a disappointment. Despite the technology being 15 years+ newer than Soarin, it’s just not as good. The visuals are worse, the soundtrack is worse, the sound system is worse, the hardware is worse. It’s difficult to comprehend why.

In another non-Disney Park, I think the differences would be less noticeable, but with EP you come to expect such a level of quality that I think the ride itself is a stark letdown. For me at least.

As I say, queue and building are excellent, but the key part of the puzzle - the ride, is the weakest link.