• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Why?

And of course they have made it look fantastic for the promotional images. That does not mean to say it will not look good in reality either. Forget about the lighting and smoke for a minute, the theming structure itself looks wonderful! But of course, some people have to moan about every little thing, even if it is good!

:)

I think the reason for the negativity is the temporary smoke and lighting effect should have been a permanent fixture of the ride, during its design, to begin with.

This is nothing high tech - just some fog machines and some LED spot lights.

Merlin will have to start adding a disclaimer like Pleasure Beach :D

2q30s4n.jpg

Oh dear... they could be in for another ASA complaint if they aren't careful...

Do people still genuinely believe that the ASA was the reason Towers pulled the world first stuff?

It was pulled because Merlin told them to.

Pictures look good though, theming structure is pretty epic.

Why does that photo remind me of the home delivery service of a well known pizza company

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Why?

And of course they have made it look fantastic for the promotional images. That does not mean to say it will not look good in reality either. Forget about the lighting and smoke for a minute, the theming structure itself looks wonderful! But of course, some people have to moan about every little thing, even if it is good!

I reckon it will look fantastic when it opens. I more meant it in the sense that someone will complain that it doesn't look exactly like the advert. People have done it before, you'd be surprised!

What matters is that theming structure is magnificent! Really brilliant theming, Towers and MMM should be proud... it's no cheap Marmaliser eyesore!
I agree! The theming structure looks absolutely fantastic! The Marmaliser doesn't look that bad, in my opinion, but this is on a new level! I think we should expect a greater level of theming from Merlin in the future, as this and Tiger Rock have me very optimistic for future theming from MMM!

It looks fantastic.

Wanting permanent smoke and red LEDs is pretty negligible considering the park is not open at dusk, and it makes little sense to add permanent theming fixtures that will be utilised 3 days of a season (and therefore inevitably not work through underuse anyway).

this and Tiger Rock have me very optimistic for future theming from MMM!
This gets said every year though on every single big new ride that has slightly better themery than the last. It's nothing really to do with people's abilities, it's all about money. The industry has decades of learning and plenty of talent waiting to be used to create amazing themed rides. If Merlin wanted to create an amazing themed ride, they could just pay for it.

But I am very glad themed coasters have come this far with Merlin, after such token theming jobs in the past. Wickerman looks like a big step up. The Smiler tried to be, the theme was great, but in the end ended up with bins strapped to trusses and bizarre broken effects for whatever reasons.

Hopefully the financiers are seeing theming budgets as less of a disposable 'nice to have', and we're getting a proper approach to design & landscape on big rides. It really makes the difference when done well.

Can I just show people wide shot of the coaster that has been posted (Yeah I know it was posted earlier but I'm wanna make a point).

Alton-Towers_Wickerman-1.jpg

We can see that tree planted has taken place around the ride area and also Wicker Man's ORP point has even been themed up.

Last edited:
Can I just show people wide shot of the coaster that has been posted (Yeah I know it was posted earlier but I'm wanna make a point).

Alton-Towers_Wickerman-1.jpg

We can see that tree planted has taken place around the ride area and also Wicker Man's ORP point has even been themed up.
That just proves that they have made a real effort with this attraction. Well done Merlin! It's a 10/10 from me on an aesthetic note!

I have to say, I'm mildly disappointed at the big patch of trees on the left side of the picture (by the sound tunnel)

I doubt the trees will get big enough to ad anything meaningful to the ride and i would have much preferred some actual theming there...but, oh well...at least its not pulled a Rita on us, well done towers!

Depends how quick they grow they are newly planted afterall

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.