• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Here is a quote taken from the Merlin Annual Passholders group FB page, I mentioned this a few posts ago and also on my last visit to the Towers during the fireworks, the sealife staff were also expressing concerns about the vibrations from the actual rollercoaster running once that it has been built, something that the management team never considered, hence the sealife might be moved permanently to another part of the resort

Speaking to Katie in Sealife Saturday they are concerned with the vibrations from all the construction vehicles and they installing microphones in some of the tanks to measure it incase it causes stress to the fish......she said if it's a problem then it all might be relocated into the Alton Towers hotel as it's all a mobile unit. And also a sneaky clue as to the theming of the new ride which is nothing to do with pirates

Work hasn't officially started until the first picture of a guy leaning on a shovel.

Hope the contractors involved in the M1 Sheffield Junction 36 "road improvements" aren't involved. Miles and miles of cones for nearly two years causing huge traffic jams, and no sign of anything being done.

They make TG Cruise look like a model of Japanese efficiency.

Incidentally, does anyone know if Merlin are using TG Cruise for SW8 after The Smiler debacle (though admittedly it may have been more to the dreadful wet closed season during construction)?

I would be very surprised if they ever used TG Cruse again as groundwork on The Smiler was poor. Interestingly there is no regocnition on their website that they were involved in The Smiler.

Good to see that work on removing The Flume has finally begun.

:)

Surely research into vibrations would have been undertaken in planning?

As it is temporary vibration from the diggers etc during construction and it will only affect the park (shouldn't extend outside of the park area) I don't think the planners would care.

If there was something causing vibration in the village then I'm sure the planners would stop it though!

I was thinking more like the concerns of the vibrations when the coaster is running.

There must be something in it to make the sealife staff concerned.

My post above was aimed more at internal issues not the wider area.

Surely research into vibrations would have been undertaken in planning? (Merlin tho??).

No the management are not experts in keeping marine life so did not stop to consider the implications on the sealife :rolleyes:

I was thinking more like the concerns of the vibrations when the coaster is running.

There must be something in it to make the sealife staff concerned.

Yes that is correct, It's the sealife staff that have been voicing their concerns about the vibrations, not only during the construction, but also when the coaster is running. It is the sealife staff that are putting forward to the management about the possibility of moving the sealife. Where they will relocate it to I don't know, I can't see any where else on the park that will be suitable as well as away from any other rollercoaster, and if it was to be moved off site even near the Hotels, I can't see this being practical for visitors (apart from the hotel guest).

Don't be silly they won't move the sea life centre, they will just close it under the tlc scheme. It would save on the fishes wages ;)

That is my concern, we could see the sealife closed in 2017 or for good :(

No the management are not experts in keeping marine life so did not stop to consider the implications on the sealife :rolleyes:

Well, technical they are not. However they have staff that are experts. I bet their have had their input into the planning process.

New for 2017...........no new rides but more closures. Most exciting the worlds first!!!! Theme park with no operating rides.

All under guise of tlc ;)

According to TowersTimes new documents have been submitted to the council outlining more details about the development. Manufacturer will be GCI, and the ride will have a budget of £15 million. There will also be an indoor section (I'm pretty sure most of us spotted that on the plans months ago?).

There will be a 58 week construction period followed by 11 weeks of testing and staff training.

I couldn't find any new documents on the planning application (unless I was looking in the wrong place), but some little interesting bits of info. If this will cost £15 million however, there must be a launch system or element of some description, it won't require any major ground works and it's a small layout, so there must be more to it (and Merlin need that gimmick/USP).

If this will cost £15 million however, there must be a launch system or element of some description, it won't require any major ground works and it's a small layout, so there must be more to it (and Merlin need that gimmick/USP).

Perhaps it will just have a lot of good theming..........

Yeah coming to think of it probably a gimmick.

Credit to Ross Smith on Twitter who is working on the ride (rosssmithsmkl)

CyitHSAXUAIq9wr.jpg

CyitIjvWQAAgYUI.jpg

CyitJZnWIAAoC96.jpg

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.