• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Oh no, Things do not look good for SW8, but they look good for us as the council are forcing the park to show the theming.

Info from TowersTimes:

I think it's a bit stange SW8 can't start but I think it may be due The Smiler incident and not having repeat, the council are trying to make sure the ride can operate in high winds etc.

I don't quite understand what you mean by this?

What you've copied and pasted is generic planning application text 2.0. These are generic planning principles, they are always requested for every single one of Alton's attractions, similarly to the conditions that you would expect to be applied to any new building.

Nothing to do with the Smiler incident, the council have no legal responsibility to check this - Alton could build a massive rollercoaster that simply doesn't function, but the council have no right or responsibility to stop them.

The council asked for pretty much the same details in the planning process for The Smiler (and even then what we got in terms of theming was not what was on the final plans). So nothing at all to worry about.

:)

Plus with The Smiler half the theming that was on the plans never came to reality. :p

I wonder now with closed season if they will get on with demolishing The Flume.

Anyone who has ever bought a house will know that this kind of scary sounding small print is all over the documents your solicitors send you. Loads of exiting stuff about chemical contamination, archaeological surveys, sea levels, land drainage, rendering finish etc...... for a standard 15 year old mid terrace.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Was there this afternoon and I didn't see it!
Nothing more than a bloke with a big pneumatic drill digging a hole by Coasters.
The crane was for lifting the Revolution carriages off the track I think, and has now gone.

The red-tape brigade out in spades again...

I wonder if Europa Park have to deal with this level hoop-jumping and meddling?

What *exactly* is the reason given for needing to see every last scrap of information on this new investment?

Absolutely ludicrous and probably the reason why we can't light a candle to alot of European / American parks because stuff like this scares off investors and investment.

And people wonder why Paramount Park isn't coming to fruition...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think this is anything different from Thirteen. It's in a heavily protected and historic area, it's fair enough they want to know exactly what's going on. Europa is a very different place. SW8 will still be passed, there's nothing to worry about.

This is good!

Theming and build quality is always appalling at Alton Towers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The red-tape brigade out in spades again...

I wonder if Europa Park have to deal with this level hoop-jumping and meddling?

What *exactly* is the reason given for needing to see every last scrap of information on this new investment?

Absolutely ludicrous and probably the reason why we can't light a candle to alot of European / American parks because stuff like this scares off investors and investment.

And people wonder why Paramount Park isn't coming to fruition...

Whoa! Alton Towers, unlike Europa-Park, is located in a very sensitive area. Conservation area? Check. Sites of Biological Importance? Check. Grade I registered park and gardens? Check. Grade II listed building right by the SW8 construction site? Check. This is perfectly normal and Alton Towers know this. I recommend that you take a read of our Alton Towers Planning Restrictions Guide.

Paramount Park is totally irrelevant here also. It is going through a completely different planning process, their main issue seems to be cash/investment.

Yes planning for theme parks is very different here compared to the USA but would we have got the likes of Nemesis and Oblivion without it? Almost certainly not!

Blimey.....just 30 odd pages of discussion on SW8 in 6 months!?

I don't think there has been a Secret Weapon where anticipation from enthusiasts has been so low.

Whoa! Alton Towers, unlike Europa-Park, is located in a very sensitive area. Conservation area? Check. Sites of Biological Importance? Check. Grade I registered park and gardens? Check. Grade II listed building right by the SW8 construction site? Check. This is perfectly normal and Alton Towers know this. I recommend that you take a read of our Alton Towers Planning Restrictions Guide.

Paramount Park is totally irrelevant here also. It is going through a completely different planning process, their main issue seems to be cash/investment.

Yes planning for theme parks is very different here compared to the USA but would we have got the likes of Nemesis and Oblivion without it? Almost certainly not!

Completely and utterly take all points. I think my post is more borne of sheer frustration rather than the true nitty gritty of planning permission and all its intricacies.

Wouldn't want what's happening at Kolmarden to happen here I guess.

It's all about the British planning process. Submit the plans then follow up with final plans, before construction starts. It means that building control can make sure everything is built as the plans say.

But as said it's another nugget for us to see.

Themepark worlwide had a photo of construction equipment on their facebook page. Stating it is there to remove the flume.

If it is starting, then great. But I still can't get too excited for this yet. I'd rather get information regarding the state of play with the closed rides to be honest.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.