• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I think I've figured out what the theming structure is. It looks like black ash burnt wood. Witch tells me it appears they will represent the wood is burning. Fire may be used as a fake effect here to give the illusion your going through burnt buildings/rubble.

If I remember rightly there was a mention months ago that John wardle had change the original plans to make the coarser fair more intersting/scary than originally planned. Also I remember mention of the two things people would never put together: wood and fire on a coaster. Like Darren's brown ghost train, could all be a illusion of the train/tracks are on fire. However still would cancel out a dragoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Few more things I've noticed whilst comparing the site to plans,

The new building that popped up half way up the site is (kind of obviously) a queue line "Kiosk", which has some bents and therefore the track going very close to it (as pictured below) as will the queue line (literally hugging the path of the track). Also noticed on the plans that it states that part of the track that goes past the kiosk will have 1.4m high sound screens on either side of the track as will the bents that went up at the bottom of the site.

sam_1191.jpg

Forgive me if this is a silly question, but what do you think the kiosk will sell? (Or could it be the baggage hold?)

Forgive me if this is a silly question, but what do you think the kiosk will sell? (Or could it be the baggage hold?)

Too far away to be baggage hold, seems silly to give your bags in on the opposite side of the ride to the exit. Will probably just be the usual drinks / sweets kiosk until it's replaced by two vending machines in a few years time.

I'm not really sure if this will end up a instant hit or a massive flop. The plans show something I'm not very excited about but the more I keep seeing being built the more I'm getting impatient that it's not 2018 already

My thoughts are still on course that it will end up being a decent family coaster that could have been better. I'm still open to be proven wrong. I've seen little evidence so far though.

My thoughts are still on course that it will end up being a decent family coaster that could have been better. I'm still open to be proven wrong. I've seen little evidence so far though.

Let's be honest most coasters in the world could be better. Only a very small few come to mind that I would say is perfect and that's personal preference. All I'm hoping for is a smooth coaster that has a little air and a decent speed. Some theming that doesn't rot/break in the first week would also be a plus point

Bad News
IMG_3378.jpg

Credit TPG

Just in terms of this photo being bad news due to lack of banking meaning no speed, one thing to always bare in mind with GCI coasters is that they often have no banking, or banking that would be seen as 'poor' on a steel coaster. It's what makes them what they are and causes them to ride with the abnormal forces that they have.

Heck... they often bank the wrong way on purpose. I certainly wouldn't write it off just yet, it's still an incredibly exciting project! :D

To be honest, part of me is just not happy that there isn't a massive Wickerman standing tall in the middle of North Staffordshire ;)

Just in terms of this photo being bad news due to lack of banking meaning no speed, one thing to always bare in mind with GCI coasters is that they often have no banking, or banking that would be seen as 'poor' on a steel coaster. It's what makes them what they are and causes them to ride with the abnormal forces that they have.

Heck... they often bank the wrong way on purpose. I certainly wouldn't write it off just yet, it's still an incredibly exciting project! :D
And remember that The helix going back through the "wickerman" was heavily banked before it was covered up and that is later on in the track circuit.

If this just turns out as a good family coaster, I don't think that's such a bad thing? The park has got a decent line up of thrill rides, so a family coaster is a decent addition to the line up. The next step beyond this will be new indoor rides/attractions.

On one hand, I know it's foolish to expect this to deviate from the plans and turn into some surprising world beater of a coaster. I've been told so by @Rob before.

On the other hand, foreseen chants of "how can you write it off at such an early stage!?" and "reserve your judgement until you've actually ridden it" ring through my ears if I were to say this looks disappointing.

Definitely looks like it will be a thoroughly enjoyable and welcome addition to the park, I have no doubt. But it's still the itsy bitsy, teeny weeny GCI from the original plans that we've known about for quite some time........

Thanks everyone for posting the updates; theirs nothing quite like watch a SW being constructed. :)

Real quick question though, why are the supports called 'bents?'

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for posting the updates; theirs nothing quote like watch a SW being constructed. :)

Not sure the reason why but I found a book some months ago explaining the design of wooden coasters in some good detail.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=OzZHAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA14&lpg=PA14&dq=wooden+coaster+bents&source=bl&ots=VuAcQuErUu&sig=VyEg9tc4tpEKER2dRQKiXsJ2XFg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiu6eufl8XVAhWHJcAKHdw6CzYQ6AEISzAI#v=onepage&q=wooden coaster bents&f=false

it does describe what a bent is, but not the reason behind why they are called that so not sure if it helps your question. :D

Thanks everyone for posting the updates; theirs nothing quite like watch a SW being constructed. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bent_(structural)

The term bent is probably an archaic past tense of the verb to bind, referring to the way the timbers of a bent are joined together. The Dutch word is bint (past participle gebint),[1] the Frisian is bynt, and the German is bind. Compare this with the term bend for a class of knots.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.