• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I'm in agreement that this isnt a missed opportunity, but can see why people are thinking that. If you wanted a Balder, Wodan or even a lightning rod then this isn't it BUT Alton more pressingly needed a more family friendly coaster which this is, and it looks a very good one which will still be pretty intense and be a lot of fun to ride. For me it's in the gap between family and pure thrill and fits in that gap perfectly. There are lots of positives here, I have a niggling worry about the *theme* being family un-friendly, but we'll wait and see. I'm just as excited about Icon but for different reasons, both will be lots of fun. And for those wishing this was more thrilling I predict thatbthe brief for SW9 will be for a high octane thrill machine.

There's a lot more speculation about SW8 on various forums, Such as CoasterForce and r/rollercoasters, And SW8 gets talked about quite a bit whilst when someone mentions Icon people are like 'Oh I forgot Blackpool's getting a Mack Multi Launch'. Even if most of the talk is negative, It's still a lot more talk than Icon, And fhat's what Merlin want.

Heck, From a GP prospective, A quite a few now know about SW8(Cause it's been on National TV now) whereas Icon is bearly heard of...

It's sounds like Nemesis and The Big One all over again!

All I seem to see on other theme park forums is how pointless and boring this looks and how the Alton fans are hyping it up to be something it isn't.

I still think that there will be more to this ride than meets the eye. Like a secret surprise element.

If on opening day next year I'm right, I will quote this post with gloat, if not I will bury my head in the sand and forget about this post.

There might be some kind of surprise pre-show similar to the way Saw at Thorpe Park has the axes and crossbows after you leave the station.

Still reckon that the large theming element is either a) a mid-ride shop which, of course will be replaced by vending machines half way through the season or b) a giant suction machine to suck up the credit cards and cash of riders to feed the executives' wallets

All I seem to see on other theme park forums is how pointless and boring this looks and how the Alton fans are hyping it up to be something it isn't.
Which "Alton fans" are they reffering to? Because I don't see many of them around here. This thread virtually mirrors Coaster force.

All this negativity. Towers are getting a new coaster. A NEW COASTER !
4 months 6 days to go !
We should be all creaming in our pants.

A new coaster !

I’m excited anyway. :p
So am I!
EDIT: So does that mean the park is definitely opening on 17th March?

Reactions: pj
Sorry for double posting, but as it's closed season now, the next time we will see this ride is in March when it is open to the public. I was just thinking a second ago how different this is as a construction project to The Smiler five years ago in 2012. So I decided to look through the Smiler construction topic, and some of the things I saw included (sorry I couldn't quote these properly. The topic is locked.):
  • "For god's sake this is an £18million investment and all that changes in a month is the hole getting slightly deeper and some more rebar being put in"
  • "This is possibly the dullest coaster construction ever. Even the hardcore geeks must be getting bored by now."
  • "The park are still insisting that it will open in March. They're going to have to have erected the track by mid-January to achieve that, and that's without any weather delays."
By comparison, some of the things people are saying about SW8 include:
  • "By comparison, SW8 is almost DONE!" (In comparison to Valkyria at Liseberg)
  • "Lessons have clearly been learnt from the Smiler."
  • "That wall looks like it has had time and effort put into it,"
Here is the link to the Smiler topic I looked through for anyone who wants to have a look:
https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/secret-weapon-7-discussion.23/
Sorry for resurrecting old topics/posts, by the way. I was just thinking and thought it might be fun to compare opinions then and now!

I actually believe SW8 will be a lot better than we think it will be. I think the only complaint will be the length of the ride, but I think it terms of fun factor it may be on par with nemesis for a short ride.
I don't personally think that length is really a problem unless the ride is 10 seconds long.

Sorry, I hate to be a negative nancy/nitpicker, but SW8 vs. Icon is nothing like 1994 for the UK...

That being said, people have a right to be excited for whatever they find most enticing :)

Blackpool pleasure beach and Alton Towers opened a rollercoaster in the same year as each other in 1994, they are doing so again in 2018. Sounds pretty similar to me.

Though to be fair you have a point... Drayton isn’t opening anything!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.