• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I'm going to give them a pass on this worlds first claim for the team being.

Perhaps they are going to integrate the fire in a way that has never been done before?

Would anyone else like to get John Wardley in a pub, get him a dozen pints of John Smith's finest and see what he REALLY thinks of this (and Galactica)?

Actually, that's a great idea. Towerstimes, next time you do an interview with JW, make sure it's in the Velvet Coaster at Blackpool and ply him with copius amounts of alcohol first.

Best interview... ever!

Last edited:
How to destroy a theme park in a few simple steps...

Problem - for god knows how many years they've tell us that they can't build wooden coasters due to the public's perception of them.

Solution - just build a coaster, don't tell anyone what it's made of. Get the green light from management.

Marketing hype - tell everyone it's made of wood. Now go a step further and draw attention to how fire is a big feature of the ride. Do all of this on the back of one of the worst rollercoaster incidents in recent times.

Oh, and don't forget to completely mismarket the ride - target thrill seekers when your ride is for families, learning non of the lessons from Th13teen. That's sure to ramp up the disappointment for the few people who turn up to ride it.

I cannot fathom how this project ever got the green light, unless Merlin are determined to bury Towers completely. Almost certain that's what they want.

That being said, for me personally the theming of the ride does look great, and less people visiting the park will make for happier queueing. I just hope it's not a boring coaster.

I'm a fair bit behind you and Diogo in the negative stakes, but I like to think that I hold my own, sometimes. However, I think they've done OK with this venture as far as gaining publicity goes. I'm not happy about the length of the ride, but it looks damn good in the plot they made for it. There's only one way to find out how it will ride. It's not the mega coaster that many of us wanted at this point, but it looks like being a good family thrill ride.

Would anyone else like to get John Wardley in a pub, get him a dozen pints of John Smith's finest and see what he REALLY thinks of this (and Galactica)?

Actually, that's a great idea. Towerstimes, next time you do an interview with JW, make sure it's in the Velvet Coaster at Blackpool and ply him with copius amounts of alcohol first.

Best interview... ever!
Way back at the TT@10 event, I was gutted that I never had the chance to ask him "off the record" (IE: not in the official Q&A),
"So tell me John, do you look at Chessington and weep?"

I could expand that question to cover far too many rides / parks now. :cry:

I'm going to give them a pass on this worlds first claim for the team being.

Perhaps they are going to integrate the fire in a way that has never been done before?

Best interview... ever!
A MILLION apologies, I meant Towersstreet.

Please forgive me!

OK, so now I have stopped laughing about their stupid worlds first tags...

I really, really like the images and promotional stuff attached to the ride. It's very satisfying to look at.

So much so, I made it my phone wallpaper!

:)

Aside from the horrendous worlds first claim, I like it also!

In the backstage article about the promo work the artist appears to be signing a pile of poster prints, so perhaps this may well be some sort of early limited merch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love Wardley's work... but it seems that when people bemoan Galactica they forget that Air was not a masterpiece and furthermore forget than Alton had some dubious marketing for that ride too. It featured as much, or less creativity than most rides in a Six Flags park.

This is a great step forward. There are some creative people at the park and in Merlin as a whole.

Aside from the horrendous worlds first claim, I like it also!

In the backstage article about the promo work the artist appears to be signing a pile of poster prints, so perhaps this may well be some sort of early limited merch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It will be limited to the number that Merlin can sell.

I love Wardley's work... but it seems that when people bemoan Galactica they forget that Air was not a masterpiece and furthermore forget than Alton had some dubious marketing for that ride too. It featured as much, or less creativity than most rides in a Six Flags park.

This is a great step forward. There are some creative people at the park and in Merlin as a whole.

Excuse me. This was superb:

I agree Galactica was not his best work (in Sesame Street style, the best was brought to you by the letter N and the numbers 1,9,9,4), but it was an incredibly ambitious project with genuinely new technology.

It was always clear from the off that higher, bigger, longer versions would be built, but JW cleverly set out to make you feel you could fly and within the limits that AT has, I think he achieved that.

Galactica was merely an ungodly disecration of all that was good about the ride.

Oops back on topic... I think Wickerman will be merely good, whereas Nemmie is truly GREAT!

Kind of like...

Carol Vorderman - can do sums quickly in her head on an edited, recorded TV programme - Good

Albert Einsten - Oh god, where do I start - ,Great

Last edited:
At least Wicker Man will bring the much-needed crowds to Mutiny Bay, which is usually very quiet. That said, both MB and WM's queue will probably both be packed, as most people will no doubt head there first (even after the opening day) due to MB's postion right next to the park entrance.

At least Wicker Man will bring the much-needed crowds to Mutiny Bay, which is usually very quiet. That said, both MB and WM's queue will probably both be packed, as most people will no doubt head there first (even after the opening day) due to MB's postion right next to the park entrance.
That’s fine with me. As long as they don’t make it as far as Nemmy I’ll be a happy bunny.

New, longer video out from towers:

Sounds very Hex-esque, in a good way! When Bradley Wynne says that they thought about the story and the theming, I do wonder whether they thought about the area at all, or whether they went off on a wonderful creative tangent.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.