• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2019: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Some people think theres a class system.

Very rich = VIP card
Rich = fastract
Ok off = online tickets / MAPS
Poor = turn up with washing up liquid coupons.

It pains me to say it, but Merlin have ruined Towers. The magic has long-gone and it's just all up-sell / "how deep is the guests wallet and how much can we get out of it?" experience [whilst driving costs & quality down to the bone].

The only way the rot will stop is for Merlin to face some serious competition. Had EuroDisney [as it was known then] been built near the M42 in Birmingham [it was one of the sites that bidded for the park], do you seriously think Towers would be as it is today? Hell no - it would either be 10x better than it is in terms of guest experience / theming, or closed down. (And EuroDisney - or Disneyland Paris as we now know it - was built well before the Merlin hatchet started to wave at Towers).

It makes me laugh how Alton Towers can have a department called "Product Excellence". I know of people who work there and I know for a fact they have been to Disney in Florida & Paris. They've done Universal / Europa Park / Port Aventura etc - how they can claim Alton Towers has any excellence after visiting these parks is beyond me.

You only have to take a look at the back-stage facilities / staff areas at Alton Towers. Portakabin style buildings are very common - and they are not new either. I know one portakabin that had fungus growing in the floor in it's staff-room use, then went on to be used as a food store the following season. (NB: I am not saying it was not thoroughly expertly cleaned / resealed / passed all EHO tests etc - just stating what I saw one season & reporting on it's use the next).

I know Mickey Mouse never speaks [so as to never offend any guest whose language he may not understand / be able to reply in]. But come on Merlin - you're "second only to Disney" - so show Mickey round Alton Towers... and hear a mouse laugh out loud.

Does anyone know roughly how busy it will be on 20th June. What are the queues like on weekdays?

I’m not a psychic but hasn’t school trip season started now? I imagine it will be busier than normal but not as busy as a weekend.
Saying that we went this time last year on the way back from Blackpool and most rides were 2hr+
So it’s anyones guess really.

I’m not a psychic but hasn’t school trip season started now? I imagine it will be busier than normal but not as busy as a weekend.
Saying that we went this time last year on the way back from Blackpool and most rides were 2hr+
So it’s anyones guess really.
I don't think they've started yet as the past couple of weeks have been quieter apparently. Probs to do with weather tho

GCSE’s and A levels finish around about now, so mid week crowds will likely rise from this week onwards, but it won’t be anything like the crowds when school trip season is at its peak, which will be 2nd and 3rd week of July.

I know Merlin get a lot of flack on here but i'd like to post something postive.

Busy part today, operations very good, ride availability was excelllent despite a massive, torrential, downpour mid afternoon. The kind you get soaked in seconds on, was on The Smiler at the time.

It really was an epic downpour but all rides stayed open throughougt, other than Rita which had about 20 minutes of downtime.

Wickerman, Smiler and Nemesis dispatches were excellent.

Wouldn't it be great if entry was about £15 and you pay for whatever rides you want to go on individually. That's the only way on a busy day to make your money worth it as paying over £50 for 8-10 rides is poor

Don't give them ideas. With a season pass consting £56 it'll always be cheaper than pay per ride.

GCSE’s and A levels finish around about now, so mid week crowds will likely rise from this week onwards, but it won’t be anything like the crowds when school trip season is at its peak, which will be 2nd and 3rd week of July.
GCSE'S finish Wednesday. A Levels the week after.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Mine finish tomorrow!
EDIT: I meant Monday; of course I don't have a weekend exam!

Does anyone know roughly how busy it will be on 20th June. What are the queues like on weekdays?

You should be fine even on a dry day at the moment. Will be quieter if the weather forecast is for rain.

I’m not a psychic but hasn’t school trip season started now?

Nowadays, there seems to be school trips during term week what ever the season. The main manic school trip season is usually the 2 weeks in July (8th) prior to the summer holidays, this is where school trips are at their premium and I would definitely avoid.

Wow bet that was painful
Yes! I had to ride with my hand in front of my eyes! It was dry when i was in the queue but the heavens opened, the first i knew of it was when i left the indoor heartline roll, There was an audible groan from the riders!

Oblivion is bad in the rain if it's on two station operation and you're on the rear shuttle, as it sits nice and exposed outside at the bottom of the lift waiting.

Price for individual rides would be £20 each for the big six and £15 each for all the others.

Don't give merlin ideas on upping profit and killing the park.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk
When I was at Blackpool on the 'opening day' in February, I saw that Icon was a 15 or 16 token ride. Each token was £1. So I guess you're not far off with your suggested prices!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.