• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2019: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Shame you didn't see the gardens about thirty years ago, compared to how they used to be, they are now an absolute disgrace.
Renovation work on some of the structures has been good (though Merlin were obliged to do so), but the actual gardens have been neglected very badly, especially under Merlin.
A large mass of ramble, bracken and St John's Wort has choked out literally hundreds of top quality specimen Azaleas, Camelias and alpine plants.
You can barely get to the stepping stones, and the ponds have been in desperate need of a proper dredging and clearing for about twenty years.
No wonder people don't stroll the gardens any more, they used to be stunning.

Gardens don't make money - they cost money, so end of Merlin's interest in the gardens.

The renovation works on the Conservatories / Pagoda Fountain / Prospect Tower have all been done to a high standard, which they had to be due to the listed building status. However, the work was only done as part of Section 106 agreements (where Merlin agree to heritage restoration in return for new planning permission elsewhere - normally for a new ride). Would they have spent the money without a Section 106 agreement being forced on them? I suspect not.

Gardens don't make money - they cost money, so end of Merlin's interest in the gardens.

The renovation works on the Conservatories / Pagoda Fountain / Prospect Tower have all been done to a high standard, which they had to be due to the listed building status. However, the work was only done as part of Section 106 agreements (where Merlin agree to heritage restoration in return for new planning permission elsewhere - normally for a new ride). Would they have spent the money without a Section 106 agreement being forced on them? I suspect not.
Only if they could make it into an upcharge...

Yep think I just reached stage 3/4 only did one visit to towers in April and the other merlin parks in the UK. Then my florida happend and I have no desire to visit any merlin RTP this year again. Off to Sweden for Lisiberg and kolmården. Hope to do Europa and PA either this or next year and already planning our next Orlando trip for the 2022 of 23 season

Would rather do one Euro trip a year or a Disney trip every couple of years than multipe merlin parks multiple times a year (not having a Merlin AP will save enough for that)
You're one of the lucky ones who can pick and choose where they go around the world to visit theme parks. Many people don't have that choice.

You're one of the lucky ones who can pick and choose where they go around the world to visit theme parks. Many people don't have that choice.
You can get to Phantasialand and Liseberg for under £50 return flights pretty easily in fairness.

Sure Disney/USA parks is never an easy option, but for many people it's often cheaper to fly to a decent European theme park than drive to Alton Towers.

You can get to Phantasialand and Liseberg for under £50 return flights pretty easily in fairness.

Sure Disney/USA parks is never an easy option, but for many people it's often cheaper to fly to a decent European theme park than drive to Alton Towers.

Orlando for us wasn't nearly as expensive as we expected. Our flights were under 250 each and accommodation no more expensive than travel lodge. We parked at springs and walked to the hotels for the bus so saved £300 in parking fees and brought our own food everywhere. It was only the tickets that were particularly expensive we felt the rest was as cheep as a budget break anywhere in the UK and less than a trip to centerparks or similar

Lisiberg I'm getting free entry to as I'm going with a group of enthusiasts from PBE and flights we're under £50 return. Staying in hostels for £20 a night and will be bringing pot noodles for sustenance!

Getting to an airport and staying over before flights etc costs way in excess of the flights for phantasia land etc for me.

Like the £15 each way flights to colne earlier in the year with Ryan air from London, I’d pay 20 times that getting to the airport and back

5​
Getting to an airport and staying over before flights etc costs way in excess of the flights for phantasia land etc for me.

Like the £15 each way flights to colne earlier in the year with Ryan air from London, I’d pay 20 times that getting to the airport and back
I am fairly lucky as I know some free parking spots by where I used to live in London So get the tube to Heathrow or train to Gatwick. Would have been over £200 to park for my 2 weeks in florida otherwise

Be careful doing that, last person that decided to use our street as free Gatwick Parking came back to find their car had been lifted from the place they parked it and carefully placed back down round the corner on double yellows, with about 15 tickets on the windscreen.

People don't take kindly to having their houses blocked in round here.

Be careful doing that, last person that decided to use our street as free Gatwick Parking came back to find their car had been lifted from the place they parked it and carefully placed back down round the corner on double yellows, with about 15 tickets on the windscreen.

People don't take kindly to having their houses blocked in round here.

:eek: lol....

As long as someone pays their road tax, they are legally allowed to park anywhere they like as long as they comply with any parking restrictions and highway the code (ie not blocking any driveway, parking on yellow lines, on a bend, near a junction, on a brow of a hill, etc....)

On a public road, residents do not have the rights to stop people parking outside their house or to move any cars without permission (TWOC is a criminal offence)

The only way to stop people from using your road as a free car park, and that is to get the council to implement a resident permit parking scheme.

Discussion seems to be drifting away from Alton Towers somewhat. Back on topic please!

I've just looked at my airport parking booking for Luton in a couple of weeks time (11 days, official on-airport Mid-Term carpark) - £61.99.

To go straight back on-topic, the above works out at £5.64 per day... so all of a sudden Alton Towers £6 parking fee does not seem unreasonable, given that like theme parks, airports are not exactly known for being cheap places to visit / use.

The difference is my car is way safer at an airport car park, with security patrols, CCTV, fencing, ticket exit barriers with ANPR (you need the correct entry ticket to leave).

I've just looked at my airport parking booking for Luton in a couple of weeks time (11 days, official on-airport Mid-Term carpark) - £61.99.

To go straight back on-topic, the above works out at £5.64 per day... so all of a sudden Alton Towers £6 parking fee does not seem unreasonable, given that like theme parks, airports are not exactly known for being cheap places to visit / use.

The difference is my car is way safer at an airport car park, with security patrols, CCTV, fencing, ticket exit barriers with ANPR (you need the correct entry ticket to leave).
Also land price.... Land in London near the airports is pretty costly whilst a tarmacked feild in Staffordshire is not

On the subject of Alton Towers' new #MemeYourScream promotion, it seems that photo points are returning around the park, as they did during the Big Six Challenge. Here's one that TowersTimes saw outside Galactica:

mErLiNs mAgIcaL aLtOn ToWeRs FeNCe

It will have swear words and cocks scratched onto it like the galactica Bridge within a few days

For certain as the next 2-3 weeks are school trips season - the sign does not stand a chance. If it's up to the normal Leek Signs standard it'll have bits snapped off it too and look a right mess.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.