• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2019: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Such is the problem, they could keep replacing but when the ride is outdated and noone makes ships to that spec anymore where do you get the parts?
Parts get rare and go up in price or you start patching, either way it gets unsustainable.

Right, but we shouldn't fear doom until HUSS stop supporting the park. Is that likely given how many parks have pirate ships, and how classic they are? Again, unless I'm missing something, none of the parts seem to be too complex to easily manufacture?

And if many parts have been replaced, and problems it had (it had a problem parking a couple of years ago right? Was that fixed?) Solved - I can't imagine it's expensive to keep running until they have a replacement.

I suspect that over the years the maintenance has been the minimum possible and it's now in such a state that a replacement or substantial overhaul is the only way forward. Alton Towers have got form for this... just look at Duel's trommel tunnel.

Right, but we shouldn't fear doom until HUSS stop supporting the park. Is that likely given how many parks have pirate ships, and how classic they are? Again, unless I'm missing something, none of the parts seem to be too complex to easily manufacture?

And if many parts have been replaced, and problems it had (it had a problem parking a couple of years ago right? Was that fixed?) Solved - I can't imagine it's expensive to keep running until they have a replacement.
I could be wrong but doesn't Blade use the 2 wheel hydraulic system that HUSS themselves stopped making in the 1980s? HUSS can only support a discontinued ride system with parts for so long and the park cannot afford to custom make parts, that would be madly expensive.

If this was any other sane theme park (yeah I know this is Alton Towers we're talking about), Blade would have been scrapped 10 seasons ago, with a new modern replacement installed for the following season.

The only reason why it's still there at all, is because they know that Merlin won't approve the addition of a new family thrill flat, or any flat ride at all.

Heave-ho is older than 10 years old as it was 2nd hand from Drayton Manor.

Zodiac at Thorpe Park was also second hand from Drayton Manor.

''Second only to Disney.......'' Buys flat rides (which are relatively cheap in the grand scheme of rides) pre owned from small regional parks.

In fairness though, Draytons enterprise went to Thorpe in the late Tussauds days, still....can't beat a good (justified) Merlin bash on a rainy afternoon.....

Heave-ho is older than 10 years old as it was 2nd hand from Drayton Manor.
Zodiac at Thorpe Park was also second hand from Drayton Manor.

''Second only to Disney.......'' Buys flat rides (which are relatively cheap in the grand scheme of rides) pre owned from small regional parks.

In fairness though, Draytons enterprise went to Thorpe in the late Tussauds days, still....can't beat a good (justified) Merlin bash on a rainy afternoon.....
Pretty sure this is well...not true. I have never heard this before and was a trainer and operator on Heave-Ho! Would love to know the source.

Zodiac definately was from Drayton, but I've never heard this about Heave-Ho either.
(Not that I'm saying I'm an expert or anything. Just been around long enough that I figure I would have heard that by now ;) ).

Last edited:
Zodiac was 1000% from Drayton yeah. Their enterprise only lasted a few seasons before it was removed. Probably due to age, but Thorpes old enterprise was closed and never re opened after that (around 2005) when it did re open as Zodiac, it was Draytons old, but far far newer ride. I worked at Drayton at the time and distinctly remeber it being sold to Thorpe.

Last edited:
Heave-Ho was brand new.

I think the rumour stems from when Thomas Land opened at Drayton, they (allegedly) bought a new rockin' tug for the area and the previous rockin' tug ride (Jolly Roger) was removed. Some enthusiasts at the time believed Towers had bought it second hand, which was not the case.

Yeah Heave Ho was brand new and went through about 3 themes in its first season to rush its open.

It originally had a factory blue base, then someone painted a scene on the bottom then finally it got its £12million wooden base covering from Merlin Studios. The sweetest was when it had Heave Ho written in rocks in the ride area.

I don't know why I know all of this, I just do, also I have a huge soft spot for Heave Ho, again I dont know why...

Thing is any other park would have replaced blade, enterprise, etc years back rather than waste more and more money each season until it costs to much and the ride is then removed (ripsaw) or left to rot (toadstool).

Issue with merlin and towers is they can never seem to justify replacing something like for like, because marketing won’t be able to market it. But then how do you market having no rides? I guess you just call that Towers Loving Care

I bet the amount of money they have spent trying to save their dying rides, by now they could have got new ones which will last for years to come.

Pretty sure they’ve got their money’s worth out of Blade by now. Just bin in and by a new one! If marketing are really bothered, put it elsewhere, give it another a theme and new name and then market it.

Zodiac definately was from Drayton, but I've never heard this about Heave-Ho either.
(Not that I'm saying I'm an expert or anything. Just been around long enough that I figure I would have heard that by now ;) ).
Zodiac was 1000% from Drayton yeah. Their enterprise only lasted a few seasons before it was removed. Probably due to age, but Thorpes old enterprise was closed and never re opened after that (around 2005) when it did re open as Zodiac, it was Draytons old, but far far newer ride. I worked at Drayton at the time and distinctly remeber it being sold to Thorpe.
Apologies, it was the Heave Ho! part I was questioning. I have no idea about Zodiac but the Ho is like family.

Such is the problem, they could keep replacing but when the ride is outdated and noone makes ships to that spec anymore where do you get the parts?
Parts get rare and go up in price or you start patching, either way it gets unsustainable.
I thought one of Huss' big sells was that they provide extremely good after-market supplies?

Interesting little survey just popped up on my Facebook timeline - mainly focussed on the flats (?) maybe they are looking at adding more? And VR on Galactica. I think it’s days are numbered

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.