2019: General Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WL18, 4th Nov 2018.

1. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

Name an enthusiast who doesn’t, but even I would say their first priority should be getting the park back into a position where it can cope with a crowd.

Alsty likes this.
  2. Ryan B

Ryan B TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix
    It makes sense from that point of view, but towers has a massive monopolising company behind it, and pleasure beach manages to do it for a few hundred people sometimes. It's selfish, but Wednesdays are my days off and I want quiet towers! It was quiet a few years back on these days, and the demand is increasing again. On a weekend last year towers was hell sometimes, and if that's the only time I'm going to be able to visit march - June then it's not worth me getting a annual pass. Still has my favourite rides but if smaller parks that are in a worse position can manage it, surely they can too. Its a shame that they don't alternate it a bit more to give people the chance to go on a certain day but understandable. Even if they opened on a couple more off peak days I'd be happy as it'd give me the opportunity to go, but again that's me being greedy, even though it used to be the norm.

DiogoJ42 and RoyJess like this.
  3. Robert.W

Robert.W TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    I mean, I don’t think it’s greedy at all to expect a theme park to actually be open during the open season. What is greedy is the operator choosing to keep it closed because they prioritise short term profit above literally everything else.

And if they do feel the need to keep the park closed on off peak days during the open season, I at the very least expect that if I do choose to visit during peak times, that they will actually operate the park properly. But quite often they fail to.

It’s a lose, lose situation for guests. There’s only a small chance of a “win”, on the chance that they have a good day operations wise. And when you travel a 10 hour round journey like me, that’s quite a gamble.

At the moment I have no plans to visit in 2019. That may change, but at the moment I just have absolutely zero enthusiasm whatsoever. :( I’m just waiting to see how things go when the season begins.

4. speedy

speedy TowersStreet Member

It could be much worse. My local park (Codona's) is only open weekends outside of school holidays (and I work every weekend :mad:). If it improves the quality of service on the days they're actually open, I don't mind them being closed one or two days a week.

Only thing it has a big impact on AFAIK is multi-park trips, but then theres many parks around the world open all year that one can go to during the off season/near off season

5. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

You have answered your own question there, Towers has a huge monopolising company behind it that prioritises the shareholders dividend. No one is saying they want closed days, just that if Towers has any form of budget increase this year I would expect them to prioritise increasing the quality of the open days over opening on quiet periods.

In an ideal world Roland Mack would buy the place but we just don’t have that sort of luck....

Bert2theSpark and Ryan B like this.
  6. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

What rides do u reckon will be open for the supposid winter weekends

7. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    None, becuase there won't be any winter weekends!

Scott, BarryZola, JB1985 and 4 others like this.
  8. Ethan

Well then what else could it be with the advertising of 'wicker man winters'.

Matt N likes this.
  9. ringo

ringo TowersStreet Member

Probably some video series showing the Wickerman not being satisfied with what it’s been fed and encouraging you to visit the fantastical resort in 2019 to attempt to satisfy it :rolleyes:

WickerManiac, DiogoJ42 and jon81uk like this.
  10. Alsty

Alsty TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Shambhala
    Knowing Alton Towers, probably the name of their special spa treatments this closed season...

skyscraper likes this.
  11. MakoMania

MakoMania TowersStreet Member

What was the quickly deleted Merlin Annual Pass post about 'two extra months' of Wicker Man about then?

12. Ethan

Is it just me that thinks one of the main coasters will be going fairly soon?

13. Spark

Spark TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Just you

14. skyscraper

skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    I think Spinball could be going soon to be honest.

15. Robert.W

Robert.W TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    The issue with Spinball is that Alton Towers wouldn’t be able to build something as big is it in its place should they remove it. So I can see them just holding onto it as long as they can to be honest, even if the council are keen for its removal.

Joel3 likes this.
  16. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Also if Spinball goes it needs to be replaced with another attraction with a 1.2m height restriction. The park already is short on family/ children friendly attractions (not the toddler stuff of CBeebies).

skyscraper likes this.
  17. ihaveaspergers

ihaveaspergers TowersStreet Member

It's removal was listed in a long term development plan but that document was created pre smiler.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

18. ringo

ringo TowersStreet Member

There’s more chance of spinball being moved to the Dungeon area and placed inside a warehouse to create Alton Towers Dungeon! The Ride! :rolleyes:

19. Ben

Ben TS Founding Member

Favourite Ride:
    Your Dad
    funnily enough the Amsterdam Dungeon used to have a coaster. It was terrible.

skyscraper and Matt N like this.
  20. Ryan B

Ryan B TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix
    I'd rather have a couple of flats than spinball to be honest. I do like it, but it isn't worth the queue, and capacity is dire. stick a couple of breakdances there, and I'll be happy. The larger kids have a relatively decent coaster offering with Thirteen, RMT, and Wickerman. They don't have anything apart from enterprise and the blade which is pathetic in its current form.

RicketyCricket likes this.