• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2019: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
It would be nice if the park acknowledged that the summer holiday period is easily busy enough to warrant 6:30 / 7pm ride closures, that period of the season was rammed this year.

But I suspect they'll stick with 6 and only extend when the park is at breaking point as with this year. At this point I personally wouldn't begrudge the likes of Sub Terra and the 4D cinema remaining "closed" but being ready to open when the park has days like this as well (as a "surprise addition" something as shoddy as importing the Angry Birds 4D film from Thorpe and showing it in the Ice Age themed building could be gotten away with and would help with park capacity issues). There were days this summer when the park literally couldn't cope and I'd love to see if they plan on attempting to rectify that in any way.

It would be nice if the park acknowledged that the summer holiday period is easily busy enough to warrant 6:30 / 7pm ride closures, that period of the season was rammed this year.

But I suspect they'll stick with 6 and only extend when the park is at breaking point as with this year. At this point I personally wouldn't begrudge the likes of Sub Terra and the 4D cinema remaining "closed" but being ready to open when the park has days like this as well (as a "surprise addition" something as shoddy as importing the Angry Birds 4D film from Thorpe and showing it in the Ice Age themed building could be gotten away with and would help with park capacity issues). There were days this summer when the park literally couldn't cope and I'd love to see if they plan on attempting to rectify that in any way.
There's been weekends 2018 season where I've done towers Saturday and Thorpe Sunday and Thorpe had better queues!

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

I'm glad I didn't get tempted by the Black Friday season pass offer with Towers being closed pretty much every off peak Wednesday in 2019, I just don't have to will to go anymore during peak times and wait ages for The Smiler and Th13teen due to how they are now operated with the bag faff, that along with the loss of single riders queues have really altered the day experience :(

Still Alton's loss will be BPB's gain with more visits in 2019 and more Icon rides :)

Wonder if it means something that the park now uses a proper social media management software, no more partial tweets!

I really hope they are planning something like the TWD:TR Midnight event Thorpe had, I'd be happy to pay £70 for a taxi to the park from my house for i!t!

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ooh! It would be very exciting if they could open Wicker Man during the park's Christmas event or sometime during the closed season, but I must admit that I'd be a tad surprised if they were willing to open it during the winter if it didn't open on opening weekend, as surely the temperatures would be too low?

Anything is possible, though; I'm feeling optimistic that we may see winter openings of Wicker Man!

The weather in March was much worse than the weather now.
December is usually the mildest month of every winter...heat retention from land and sea have a big effect.
I'd pay a little visit if the price was right.

Why would wicker man open during winter? If they were gonna do that then it would already be open as Christmas event started couple of weeks ago

They used to open selected thrill rides for "Winter Weekends" in the early to mid 00s.

Typically, Forbidden Valley would open November and December weekends up to Christmas. Then, January there'd be nothing - but then X Sector would open February and March weekends up to main season.

Annual pass holders were admitted. It also boosted hotel sales.

It's a pity ATR has gone backwards in terms of that kind of thing in the past 15 years.

They can't even afford to open the park on some midweek days in the actual open season any more apparently, so would be strange to open up in the cold specially for some enthusiasts to jizz over one ride. Maybe if you were forced into purchasing hotel rooms for the privilege to make it worth their while, but still seems strange.

They can't even afford to open the park on some midweek days in the actual open season any more apparently, so would be strange to open up in the cold specially for some enthusiasts to jizz over one ride. Maybe if you were forced into purchasing hotel rooms for the privilege to make it worth their while, but still seems strange.

True, but getting people in mid-week outside of peak season is hard (hence why quite a few parks around the world have mid season closed days). So it wouldn’t surprise me if Towers think a better idea is to use some budget to trial weekend events in the winter.

All we can say for certain at the moment is the budget has increased for 2019, now it could have been a small increase hence they have only been able to reduce the number of closed days slightly. Or it’s been a bigger increase but Towers have decided to spend the budget on other things (winter opening, longer days, return of baggage holds). Until the next season starts we really won’t know which it is.

Personally I think longer weekend opening in the summer would be the preference over having off-peak weekdays in September open. September has always been a quiet time for a lot of theme parks, so it makes sense to concentrate your efforts on weekends rather than weekdays.

I kind of agree. I wouldn't mind them closing for a couple of days midweek off-peak if they then ran the park properly on the days it was open. By that I mean opening all rides on time, opening all the F&B units, having entertainments, sensible ride close times etc.

This season we had off-peak closures but then at the weekends they still ran the park on a shoestring budget and that was really noticeable.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.