• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2019: Rulantica

I love this image, the scale of the water park is brilliant.

For anyone who is interested, visit Europa Park in Bing Maps, and switch between Aerial and Bird Eye view. Aerial is more update than Google, Bird Eye is before Atlantica was built.

http://binged.it/1eIhxVu

Ian

That's quite a distance from the hotels. I wonder if there will be any for of transport link?

DiogoJ42 said:
That's quite a distance from the hotels. I wonder if there will be any for of transport link?

One would presume so.

Long term, I can see a Monorail link.

Roland Mack has announced in an interview (translated by Bianca) that they hope to open the waterpark year-round. :)

Confirms what I already suspected - that a significant part of it must be indoors. :)

A number of sources have reported that EP have trademarked the name 'Rulantica' for an unknown purpose.

An epfans.ch'er has pointed out that it could be the name of the waterpark, being a portmanteau of Rust and Atlantica. Others have speculated that it may be the name for a new show, a rebranded old show, or the rumoured 'village' extension to Portugal. :)

I don't know why but I can't see the waterpark being called Rulantica. It just doesn't seem to sound right!

:)

Rulantica! It does sound like a name!

Say it in a loud, dramatic voice!

RUL-ANTICA!

I think there is something I can not quite put my finger on, but I like it.

Is it wrong that I am more excited to see how this develops than anything else currently?

Ian

Some fantastic investigate work by former Efteling fansite The Five Senses.

Firstly, Roland has confirmed to the Frankfurter Neue Presse that the water park will include two new hotels as part of the complex. This will see the park and its seven hotels leapfrog DIsneyland Paris as the European theme park resort with the most hotels. :)

The above article also reports that the park is already having its most successful season opening ever. "We have almost a million visitors," says Mack. "The best start to the season ever."

On the German copyright website, there is an application from the park for the name Rulantica. It then lists a whole host of uses for the name, which "give a strong indication that it is a hotel name" according to The Five Senses. "Mainly categories bed, alcoholic beverages (eds. read as cocktail bars) and even toothpaste and shaving kit indicate stay accommodation."

Looopings meanwhile has quoted Michael Mack as saying that he wants the waterpark open by 2016, presumably to pre-empt Phantasialand's effort. :)

Also, check out this cool video that a creative company shot of Hotel Colosseo's recent catwalk show.

Wow this really is going to be a major new development. I guess it would make sense to open phase 1 of the waterpark in 2016 along with the first hotel and then open the second hotel at the same time was the waterpark completion. This really will be a whole new complex and it's very exciting. It makes you wonder what they might have up their sleeves for the theme park in the coming years.

It's also great to hear that they have had their most successul start to a season ever. It actually demonstrates the huge difference between Atlon Towers and Europa Park. In 2013 The Smiler was delayed and before it opened Alton Towers was absolutely dead. This year Arthur at EP has been delayed yet they've had more visitors than ever before. Remarkable!

A public planning consultation and exhibition is taking place on July 8th and 9th in Rust and Ringsheim respectively.

From the local press (translated):
Expanding the Europa-Park to the west with a water park is on everyone's lips. Details of the plans have so far remained classified - at least for the general public. That should change now. In two information sessions - on 8 July in Rust and July 9 in Ringsheim - the Mack family, planning offices, specialized agencies of the region and the administration union tourism service-Leisure (ZVT) will bring out some of the previously well-kept secrets of the "new" Europa-Park development.

I wonder if these detailed plans will make their way on to the park after this 2 day display is complete.

I am sure I am not the only one who is getting excited to see what they have planned.

Ian

The water park has now been announced. Info from local press:

general facts:
- in development for 3 years now, but the idea has been around for 10 years
- at 30 ha (74 acres), it will be the biggest in Europe, and one of the biggest in the world
- inspired by international parks such as "Siam Park" (Tenerife) and "Great Wolf Lodge" (Wisconsin), but also local parks
- polls have shown the guests want slides, not more saunas/spas
- there will be a lazy river, slides of every kind and lots of them, water playground, waterfalls, surf simulator
- no Olympic sized pool
- between 400,000 and 600,000 visitors a year expected
- construction will take 18 to 24 months
- cost of €100m+ and no state subsidies

indoor area:
- divided into themed areas
- generic tropical theme not wanted
- will be open year-round
- will have a restaurant
- up to 5,000 guests a day inside

outdoor area:
- wave pool, beach area, slides, gardens
- open from June to September
- up to 3,000 guests outside

other facts:
- the park will be built on the other side of town, a bus line will connect the current park and the hotels
- guests currently stay an average of 1.2 nights, the park hopes to raise this to 1.8 nights
- a 6th hotel is in planning stages, will be built right after the waterpark

Last edited by a moderator:
Just sounds fantastic! You just know that Europa will pull this off beautifully too... VERY exciting stuff.

18-24 months? Start now, Roland!

Maelstrom: edited your post to better translations :)

Awesome news.

Last edited:
That sounds fantastic! Not too sure on the idea of having to hop on a bus to get there, although if a hotel is built up that way as well I'd imagine a more permanent transport link will eventually be included.

They've ruled out a monorail for now. Due to environmental impact. And anyway, look at WDW!

I have one issue....

This could mean that the park will start advertising in this country (least I think that's the way they're going). They might want to make it a widely known top European destination (although we know it is)

Can you imagine the place over run with Brits :(

Just speculating...

This sounds really good! Like Rob, I'm not sure about a bus service but I'm sure they'll either make it work really well or that it's just temporary until they can sort something else out!

I have one issue....

This could mean that the park will start advertising in this country (least I think that's the way they're going). They might want to make it a widely known top European destination (although we know it is)

Can you imagine the place over run with Brits :(

Just speculating...

I reckon they'll start advertising more on the continent before they even start to think about advertising here. Didn't someone say they don't advertise that far afield because the hotels are already run to capacity? Hopefully the 6th hotel will be bigger than any of the others and will help counteract that!

A lot of photos have been posted to chris-space of the presentation. This one, showing the plan of the new park, is the most interesting one to me:

HIi0vHM.jpg