• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Alton Towers Dungeon

But the thing is, though; Sharkbait Reef, another Merlin midway import, is still going strong after 12 years, with no signs that it’s going anywhere any time soon, so I wasn’t sure if Towers/Merlin had a similar lifespan in mind for the Dungeons.

Besides the up charge and it using a ride system, I don’t really see much of a difference between the Dungeons and Sharkbait Reef (other than that they’re different kinds of midway attraction, of course), so I wondered whether Merlin might consider the Dungeons as something to stick around long-term, in a similar vein to Sharkbait Reef.

I would imagine that the lifespan of each attraction is based on many variables. Just because Sealife and Dungeons are both midways it doesn’t mean that they will have the same strategy or lifespan.

The likelihood is that the building will either remain as a Dungeons attraction or be re-purposed as part of TWODW. When and if this happens is likely to come down to many factors, if the Dungeons is considered popular and is bringing in enough revenue to satisfy its costs it could stay. However if they feel they can make more money overall by introducing a new ride and believe that will attract more guests into the park that will put more money in the till than the Dungeons is currently doing, then they will go that way instead.

Personally I would have thought the Walliams ride would be a more attractive proposition to guests than Dungeons. It would be unique, it’s a well known brand and appeals to a wider audience than the Dungeons. Plus the merchandise revenue would be much more lucrative as guests want a souvenir to take home.

The Dungeons cost what, £7.50 - and for that the park needs to provide a 45min experience. I bet they could easily flog a Walliams toy, plush, mug etc for more than that with very little cost attached.

Whilst Sharkbait Reef is technically a midway, its not an upcharge attraction and the theming was done to a much better standard It also fits in well with the area.. The dungeons were a last minute decision to try and fill a gap.

If £1m is all the Dungeons contributed in a year, I would imagine it hasn't made any money. Wouldn't the fit out alone have cost around that number? Then you have the payroll costs of the actors which must cost a fair few bucks.

I never thought a Dungeon at Towers was a bad idea, it's the location is terrible.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

I think it would get even less interest if not open inside the park during opening hours. I do however feel that it should be open on a night for hotel guests - maybe with more extreme shows - but in that sense its location is poor admittedly.

Dungeons really should have gone inside the Towers, or at least done to make you think it is (so enter through Towers but move to a warehouse). Doesn’t need a ride just a good walk through like Warwick Castle Dungeon.

I've always thought that the resort activities and second gate side of things is underused at Towers. I'm sure there is some reasoning behind it but Extraordinary Golf and the Water Park usually close shortly after, the same time or even sometime before the park on longer opening days. I've stayed before on 5pm close days and found nothing to do with the kids after park close. A couple of hours in the water park after a day in the park or a round of golf if the weather is good would be great.

Imagine winter events where you could have EG, the water park, spa, a cinema, the dungeons and RCR as activities to choose from. It would be worth a stay over with so much to do.

Either way, the dungeon is currently in one of the worst locations possible at the moment. By the hotels, Gloomy Wood or around the Towers somewhere are all far better locations. The towers ruins themselves practically lend themselves to the idea of a Dungeon lurking within.

I think literally at this point just retheme it into David Walliams or get rid of all the Dungeon scenes and just call it like "The Black River" or something and have it as a dark ride anyone can go on. It'd make more sense to retheme it to DW but I wouldn't be mad at the prospect of it staying as the Black River, the ride is done, it's pretty good to be honest and would fit into The Towers theme. But staying as the Dungeon, they surely can't be making much money from it.

I'm hoping this is the last season of the Dungeon here and it's either moved or removed. I did enjoy it and I think it has a place at the resort, just not where it is. I'd prefer it moved to either the resort side and operated as an evening attraction or moved somewhere else within the park and opened on peak days.

This building now desperately needs to be turned into a Walliams dark ride and the area reconnected as it was originally built. Look how out of place this façade and the fence in front of the the theatre now looks the "new" area is open.

In an interesting move Alton Towers appear to have increased the price of Dungeons entry.

It is now £8 in advance (was £5), and £10 on the day (was £7.50).

For those that have visited lately what has the demand been like for this attraction this year? Has TWODW opening increased interest due to more passing traffic in that area of the park?

In an interesting move Alton Towers appear to have increased the price of Dungeons entry.

It is now £8 in advance (was £5), and £10 on the day (was £7.50).

For those that have visited lately what has the demand been like for this attraction this year? Has TWODW opening increased interest due to more passing traffic in that area of the park?
I did it a couple of weeks back and it was dead. We were in with two other groups of three, although I think it was a Wednesday and school was still in session I believe.