2020: General Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Danny, 20th Nov 2019.

1. Connor98

Connor98 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Hyperion
    On park today, very very warm here. Queue now building for the rapids as expected. Everything seems to be running very fast today too in this heat!

2. Danscott22

Danscott22 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Falcon's Fury
    What are the queues like across the board?

3. Connor98

Favourite Ride:
    Hyperion
    Pretty good, most rides are either near enough walk on or about 20 mins, octoberfest area has just opened too so I'm expecting them to drop even more... For example wickermans queue has been hovering around the queue line shop all day. I've been lucky again with another quiet day on park

Danscott22 likes this.
  4. TPC

TPC TowersStreet Member

What are queues like to enter the park in the morning (for a weekday and probably at 9:30am)?

5. monkeyboy

monkeyboy TowersStreet Member

Anyone got any spare annual pass day tickets for any weekend up till end of season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

How come Galactica is so popular today in comparison to the other rides. Bit random

7. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    If you are at the park and looking at the queues: yes that is unusual
    If you are looking at the app: the queue times are probably inaccurate

ringo likes this.
  8. Swarm Chris

Swarm Chris TowersStreet Member

We entered at about 10:10 on Monday, people only started to slow and bunch as heading into the entrance plaza where they were pre-checking tickets. We queued less than a minute for the temperature/security/ticketing trio.

9. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

It was down for a while this morning. Could have reopened on reduced number of trains so queues are longer.

ringo likes this.
  10. ringo

ringo TowersStreet Member

How are you defining “popular”, If you are going by queue times is it on one station? Are operations slow? Even a stoppage or cleanup will cause the queue to build.

11. D4n

D4n TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    I accidentally booked two for October 18th and only need one of them. You're welcome to the other (don't think either has a barcode anyway mind you :tearsofjoy:)

12. Connor98

Favourite Ride:
    Hyperion
    No queues even on the busier days at that time (on the days I've been that is) but I'm always in the park by 10 at latest, so it's hard for me to say if they build up later or not.

TPC likes this.
  13. Danscott22

Favourite Ride:
    Falcon's Fury
    Have both stations on Galactica been on at the same time at any point this year?

14. Connor98

Favourite Ride:
    Hyperion
    Yes, during the summer they were.

15. Swarm Chris

Swarm Chris TowersStreet Member

Was on two on Monday, but seemed to stop a few times in the afternoon for reasons other than cleaning.

Connor98 likes this.
  16. Connor98

Favourite Ride:
    Hyperion
    I could be wrong, but it guess it's maybe down to sensors on the brake run overheating, that causes them to drop to one craft/one station, I know it's happened in the past so it's possible that happened today.

Swarm Chris and skyscraper like this.
  17. skyscraper

skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    I rode it once when one station was down due to the heat, but they used two trains. Think I've also ridden it with two stations and two trains. I like it like that as it means I don't have to wait on the brake run. :p

Connor98 likes this.
  18. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    Whilst it's good for us, it doesn't make financial sense for the park so you won't get it often.

skyscraper likes this.
  19. Kraken27

Kraken27 TowersStreet Member

The sensors on the brake run (and indeed all round the ride) that detect the position / speed of the trains are proximity switches. These are the green "blocks" you see bolted onto the track / the cross-ties. They detect the presence of metal, i.e. a train / train wheels within a certain distance of the switch (normally a few millimetres). Heat should not affect these at all.

There are some photocells on the brake run at about two thirds height between the floor and track. These are to detect that the brake sections are physically clear of obstructions below track level. Again, heat should not affect these, as both the transmitters and detectors are well shielded. The worst enemy for the photocells is very heavy rain or fog, as these can break the beam.

The only reason I can think of why Galactica would go down due to heat is if it us running too fast. There are proxy switches at various points around the track circuit, so the PLC knows pretty much exactly how fast the train is going to his the brakes & sets them accordingly. If the train overspeeds in the service brake it may trip a sensor.

It shouldn't in theory though, as after the service brakes are the safety brakes (the safety brake section is the same length as the service brakes (i.e. just over a trains length). If the train is overspeeding through the service brakes then overshooting the safety brakes (even if by a few centimetres) then the ride should not be open.

skyscraper, Swarm Chris and Connor98 like this.
  20. Danscott22

Favourite Ride:
    Falcon's Fury
    Yeah Galactica always seems to struggle in the heat. Don’t think Thirteen typically does too well either.

skyscraper, Ethan and Connor98 like this.