2020: General Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Danny, 20th Nov 2019.

1. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    To be fair, I do not think Islander was slating anyone. Merely pointing out that disucssion about how long a queue is at any given time is not overly interesting to everyone, which I would tend to agree with. But that is just a personal opinion, if other's enjoy it then that's fine also!

MattyH, RoyJess, Islander and 4 others like this.
  2. Danscott22

Danscott22 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Falcon's Fury
    If I can manage to get access to the forum tomorrow I’ll be sure to try and give updates on how busy it is/my opinion on the atmosphere etc. Really looking forward to it!

skyscraper and Matt878787 like this.
  3. Matt878787

Matt878787 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Booked to go next Friday, that’s if Derbyshire & Staffordshire aren’t ‘locked down’ by then. Lord I hate that term.

Is the Welcome inn open in the day during Oktoberfest? When I visited the day before it started it was closed when I was in that area early afternoon.

4. Josh

Josh TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    The indoor part of The Welcom-Inn is closed all the time, but the new "Wunderbar" where Courtyard BBQ used to be tends to open at some point between 12 and 2, and closes at the same time as the rest of the Octoberfest stuff.

I was on park yesterday and the queues were massively overestimated, managed to get 13 rides done (14 including Skyride :p) and still spent a good 3-4 hours on the lawns enjoying the atmosphere with a few beers :D longest I queued was 25 mins for Hex.

Matt878787 likes this.
  5. Danscott22

Favourite Ride:
    Falcon's Fury
    Final hour on park queues really haven’t been bad, can confirm Enterprise is dead and Thirteen has also been closed since about 2 with the entrance now blocked off.

Swarm Chris and skyscraper like this.
  6. John

John TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Enterprise was open at some point today, so not completely dead

Ethan, Tom and Connor98 like this.
  7. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

Weird and convenient how th13teen always closes at 4 during later opening hour days. It's as if they use the temperature as an excuse to cut back

8. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    That's exactly what they've done in the last few seasons and it's really annoying.

Ethan likes this.
  9. Mikw

Mikw TowersStreet Member

Really good day on park today.

Thought the worst when the walk from the car park to the gates took almost an hour, but this was down to well observed social distanicing really.

Once inside it didn't seem that busy, ride queues overestimated significantly, Oblivion being 60 minutes, but on in 20, Most other rides similar.

Oktoberfest was really lovely, many picnic tables, well spaced and a great atmosphere. Very chilled today. Good job all round.

10. Danscott22

Favourite Ride:
    Falcon's Fury
    Enterprise had its entrance completely gated off, the app said 45 minutes for about 2 hours but I can assure you it was closed. Will do Oktoberfest thoughts tomorrow but unpopular opinions time. The Smiler reigns supreme and is the best ride on park by a landslide now. Oblivion has snuck back into second, it needs more love. Thirteen and Galactica are both severely underrated. Rita actually isn’t as bad as everyone makes out, no headbanging today, just smooth and enjoyable actually. Front row Wicker Man is garbage and really does nothing for me. As for Nemesis, if it closed tomorrow I wouldn’t care. Showing it’s age, so, so rough today! Like really painful actually. We managed 17 attractions (re rides included) in total, great ops.

Mikw, Matt N and Ethan like this.
  11. John

John TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Enterprise was running at 10.30ish, though the app said it was closed at the time.

12. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

For its age it's a very smooth ride imo. No headbanging, jolts or particularly bad moments at all really. It's definitely smoother than the smiler but yet a fair bit older

13. Alsty

Alsty TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Shambhala
    I had a smooth ride on Nemesis yesterday morning. Maybe one train is better than the other?

Ethan, AT86 and AstroDan like this.
  14. Cheese

Cheese TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix, Liseberg
    On our ride on Nemesis yesterday there was a bit of shake through the wheelset, most noticeably dropping into the bottom of the pit for the loop. It happens occasionally and I could tell we'd get it as soon as we left the station. I suspect it's specific to individual cars, maybe even certain sides, depending on when wheels have been changed etc. rather than there being any pattern to it - we're back on park today and I think we'll be unlucky not to get a smooth ride.

AstroDan likes this.
  15. Danscott22

Favourite Ride:
    Falcon's Fury
    I had 2 rides on Nemesis and both were horrible. There is headbanging, quite a lot of it actually. The Smiler’s jolty inversions weren’t even that bad yesterday and the rest of it was smooth. Also had 2 rides on it and it definitely isn’t rough.

16. Swarm Chris

Swarm Chris TowersStreet Member

Have Towers lost their divisional director? Some indication that Merlin might have sent the Resort Theme Parks General Manager back in the interim.

17. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    The last I heard was that Alton Towers had a lady called Emma Catterall as the Divisional Director, as she was the person who talked about the park’s new measures on BBC News. Very odd if she’s gone already, as I don’t think she’s been there long from what I can tell.

By comparison, her predecessor Ian Crabbe lasted for quite a few years, as far as I can tell. The job of Divisional Director at Alton Towers is seemingly quite stable, as I’ve only known of 2 in all the years I’ve been an enthusiast, whereas I can remember umpteen different divisional directors that Thorpe has had.

Swarm Chris likes this.
  18. Danscott22

Favourite Ride:
    Falcon's Fury
    Also forgot to mention, we were on and off Thirteen and Rita by 10:02 yesterday as Thirteen actually opened at 9:45.

19. Swarm Chris

Swarm Chris TowersStreet Member

The reason I ask is that her LinkedIn profile suggests that position ended in August 2020. Meanwhile Ian Crabbe was doing some visitor meetings with an MP that would have probably normally been handled by the divisional director.

For sure, management changes at Towers are a rare thing, unlike the revolving door at Thorpe Park.

Matt N likes this.
  20. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    To confirm:

Emma is no longer DD.

Ian is head of RTP and also Alton Towers

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

imanautie, MattyH, MaxPower and 6 others like this.