• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2020: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I can confirm that Towers don't allow one solo person on their rides.

I walked on to Nemesis the other week and there were no other riders, one of the crew got on and joined me (socially distanced) so i could have my ride.

I walked on to Nemesis the other week and there were no other riders, one of the crew got on and joined me (socially distanced) so i could have my ride.

It's been like that for a good few years for the main coasters.

A nice excuse for them to ride anyway :p

Irony here being that for safety Towers decide guests can never ride alone and instead allow ride staff to ride. Whilst at Thorpe, staff would never be allowed to ride like that and the guest would be sent out alone (the exception being Walking Dead, where the preference is for actors and then staff on changeover).

Go and ride it, I'm sure that you will love it and wonder what the fuss is all about. You never know, it may become your favourite ride ;)
I second that! I've posted about my friend who never does upside down rides before.

He just says "I'm not going on that, it goes upside down". Well, for some reason, he started asking me questions about nemesis last Saturday when we there, "Will i be sick on it? Could i manage it?". He then, out of the blue, decided to go on it after years of saying he never would!

First thing he did afterwards? Went on it again.

Then asked if i thought he'd managed The Smiler. I just said "if you can do Nemesis you can do anything really".

So he did The Smiler with me, and seemed to enjoy it.

When I worked at Towers (started in 1998) sole riders were never allowed way back then. It's for safety reasons so that if the rider claims they saw / heard something that seemed wrong with the ride, there is another person to ask to try and corroborate the other riders version of events.

Riding a ride in uniform during park-open hours was/is not allowed - but it did occasionally happen. One day we had a disabled guest come up the Nemesis exit & her minder made it clear they could not ride due to a medical condition, but the disabled guest really wanted to ride. We just dropped the bay-loader onto the platform to cover me on exit position and I rode with the disabled guest.

Then asked if i thought he'd managed The Smiler. I just said "if you can do Nemesis you can do anything really".
People seem to think that the smiler is the most thrilling ride at towers cus of how many inversions it's got. They're wrong though as Nemesis is by far the most forceful intense ride so if you can do that then you can do any of the others

I think it depends what type of intensity you can take, and as @imanautie said, it’s all extremely subjective; there’s no real right or wrong here.

Personally, I’d say that The Smiler feels more intense than Nemesis to me; it’s taken at an incredibly fast pace throughout, and those inversions do pack huge g-forces. There’s no real breathing room anywhere in the ride, and it’s an awful lot to take in; I’m always left with a slight feeling of nausea and head spinning afterwards.

By comparison, I think Nemesis perhaps offers a more raw type of g-force, where the bits where it is forceful are a very strong, sustained force, but it does have its more dead areas as well (the turnarounds do offer some breathing room after hard-hitting elements like the helix and the loop, as the ride does struggle to maintain its pace through these to me).

As I say, though, this is entirely subjective, and opinions on this will vary between people!

I am also of the belief that intensity isn’t everything when it comes to how much I enjoy a ride; Wicker Man is by far my favourite ride at Alton Towers (or at least was last time I rode; I’m slightly worried by all these new reports of the first drop being rough), even though it’s not the most intense of coasters!

I don’t think anyone is “wrong” on what they think the most thrilling ride is, it’s a matter of opinion. And my opinion happens to be that The Smiler is the most thrilling ride, doesn’t matter if people disagree with that.

Didn't notice the first drop of Wicker Man being any rougher than usual on my last ride last week. This is coming from someone who finds The Smiler really rough in a few places. Wicker Man seemed relatively smooth as usual. Nothing to worry about there.

Galactica, Thirteen, The Smiler and Wicker Man are all closed. Wicker Man is yet to open today, The Smiler’s is to do with capacity but the other 2 have been done for quite a bit.

Irony here being that for safety Towers decide guests can never ride alone and instead allow ride staff to ride. Whilst at Thorpe, staff would never be allowed to ride like that and the guest would be sent out alone (the exception being Walking Dead, where the preference is for actors and then staff on changeover).
I’ve been on a ride at Thorpe with an engineer before.

Dear me reliability is woeful today at towers. I feel bad for the guests experiencing this calamity of a day. Galactica and th13teen up and down like yoyos, wicker man down all day and smiler always closing due to capacity! Terrible day I imagine for many

Eeesh. Not a good day today.

bLrqgLf.jpg

So if you want to go on a thrill ride you can currently choose Galactica, Nemesis, Rita or Spinball Whizzer. Great value for money that is.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.