2020: General Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Danny, 20th Nov 2019.

1. Danscott22

Danscott22 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Falcon's Fury
    Ride close for most things tonight was very mixed in case anyone is wondering - Wicker Man did close at around 7:40 though I think? We tried to get on it at that time and couldn’t - Thirteen I believe closed at around 8:10/8:15 but I know Oblivion for a fact was letting people on until 9 and I think The Smiler was about 8:45.

skyscraper and Ethan like this.
  2. Kraken27

Kraken27 TowersStreet Member

It's all because of the curfew - they need the park empty of guests by 10pm.

Last year, Universal Orlando were actively closing the queue for Hagrids Motorbike Adventure when "the ride had reached capacity for the day" - i.e. the queue was so long the staff would be working for hours after park close. Expect the same on the Jurassic coaster next year!

At lease in "normal times" Towers stick to closing queues at ride close time, then running the queues empty. How I remember working 90mins past ride close on Air back in 2002.

3. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

This comes back to communication once again with Towers. It needs to improve.

It’s not on to close a queue an hour before the advertised time (which is already a reduced time from the headline 9pm). I’ve also seen reports of the app showing the likes of Nemesis and Galactica being closed from 8.30pm but in fact they remained open until 9pm.

Fair enough they have to work to the 10pm curfew, but tell your guests what is going on.

Ethan, Connor98, Swarm Chris and 2 others like this.
  4. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

Agreed they're not making it very clear when rides are closing. I've messaged towers and they say 9, it says 8:30 on the app like what's going on!? So poor communication and yes it definitely has to improve soon as there's no doubt eventually people will get sick and tired of this and just not come anymore

5. Kraken27

It's not as though it's rocket science either...! All they need on the info screens around the park is a new page adding saying something like "In order to comply with the 10pm curfew on the hospitality industry, some ride queue lines may close earlier than 9pm to ensure the theme park is empty by 10pm".

Even if they can't update the app - the above on the info screens around the park would "be better than nothing" - a phrase Towers have liked in the past.

Ethan likes this.
  6. Danscott22

Favourite Ride:
    Falcon's Fury
    Another irritating thing - albeit minor - is no clear instruction on which queue line at the split in Thirteen's new disabled entrance is the wheelchair accessible one! We walked down the left hand side to encounter a big step - to have to turn around and take the right path with the wheelchair accessible ramp! It might sound like I'm being picky, but how hard would it be to have a sign saying "ambulant to the left, wheelchairs to the right"?

7. Matt878787

Matt878787 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    How is the atmosphere today for anyone at the park? Isn’t today what Alton Towers refer to as a ‘Family’ day ;)

Swarm Chris likes this.
  8. Swarm Chris

Swarm Chris TowersStreet Member

I thought their Family Friendly Fun event ended last week. :rolleyes:

imanautie likes this.
  9. Matt878787

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Ahh, I saw them tweet no alcohol served today so assumed it was today.

Ethan and skyscraper like this.
  10. Kraken27

It is normally the first Sunday of Scarefest (in addition to Easter Sunday). They did get caught out a couple of seasons ago when large groups of the guests in question turned up on a different day to the first Sunday of Scarefest.

Matt878787 and skyscraper like this.
  11. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

I think the fact it’s prebook only and today was fully booked may well help them when it comes to no alcohol day.

BarryZola and Matt878787 like this.
  12. Matt878787

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    That’s good to know, it was a nightmare last year with queue jumpers and mouthing off left right and centre. One good thing to come from COVID :)

13. jmc

jmc TowersStreet Member

The atmosphere yesterday was like any normal day, the police eventually left and alcohol was indeed served by mid afternoon.

I am guessing this is down to the pre-booking situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ethan, Matt878787 and Connor98 like this.
  14. djtruefitt

djtruefitt TS Site Team Team Member

Didn’t see any issues at all, there was a larger than normal security presence and the police were around, but I didn’t see any trouble and sure the police left early.

They started selling alcohol in the afternoon as well.

Matt878787, Ethan and skyscraper like this.
  15. Sophie075

Sophie075 TowersStreet Member

Hi all. How do you think the tiers will affect going to Alton towers? I’m supposed to be going on Saturday with someone who is in tier 2 high risk, but I’m in the normal tier 1 medium.

long time lurker first time poster

skyscraper likes this.
  16. MaxPower

MaxPower TowersStreet Member

Unless the area Alton Towers resides in gets placed in a higher tier you wont notice any difference.

Sophie075 and skyscraper like this.
  17. skyscraper

skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Staffordshire Moorlands are in Tier 1, so you should be fine. :)
    I'm in Tier 2 and will be going with close family friends from the same area.

Sophie075 and MaxPower like this.
  18. Alsty

Alsty TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Shambhala
    On account that people in Liverpool (tier 3) can legally leave the area and go to anywhere else in the country, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Since Alton Towers is in Tier 1, once you're in that jurisdiction it's just the usual "rule of 6".

Edit: just read the regulations and a person living in a tier 2 area cannot meet indoors with any other person, even outside of the tier 2 area (and a person in tier 3 area cannot meet indoors or outdoors with any other person, even outside the tier 3 area). In reality nobody will ever question it or check it, but that's technically the law.

Last edited: 14th Oct 2020
    skyscraper and Sophie075 like this.
  19. Danscott22

Favourite Ride:
    Falcon's Fury
    Just another quick recap of my Saturday trip - this time on standout rides.
    Nemesis - back row, so intense, almost blacked out which I’ve never experienced before, truly fantastic and way different to how I’ve complained about Nemesis on my visits in July and September!
    Thirteen - in the dark, remains my favourite coaster to ride in the dark it’s something else!
    The Smiler - three back row rides with RAP- this thing gets better to be honest. The worst inversion is the second one by far, didn’t have to brace on the cobra roll as it wasn’t that bad this time!!
    Oblivion - loose restraint, hands up on the drop, literally I left my seat until we were in the tunnel and I wish it could be like that every time because it was incredible!

Mikw, Matt N and Ethan like this.
  20. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

For anyone planning to attend the passholder weekend, be aware ride close has been reduced from the previously advertised 6pm, to 4pm.

[​IMG]