2020: General Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Danny, 20th Nov 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ringo

ringo TowersStreet Member

They would know right now what rides / attractions will be closed due to Winter Maintenance so why can’t they just list what won’t be available?

Skyscraper and AT86 like this.
  2. imanautie

imanautie TowersStreet Member

Because they are still arranging the schedules? That or typical reluctance to say what's closed in advance

Skyscraper likes this.
  3. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Because that might stop people buying tickets ;)

I imagine the likes of Battle Galleons and the Rapids will be closed. They may well be using maintenance as a bit of a smokescreen for some attractions where they know demand will be low and they can save some running costs.

ThisGuy, jon81uk, Ethan and 2 others like this.
  4. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

Because wicker man is likely to be one of the attractions and that's one of the biggest draws to the park so they don't want to advertise it when it will result in poor turnout of guests

5. Skyscraper

Skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    I won't be surprised if WM is closed anyway as it will probably be too cold for it to operate. Same for Thirteen too.

6. Connor98

Connor98 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Hyperion
    I’m not sure what Wickerman’s minimum operating temperature is, I think Th13teen is 4c. I remember Th13teen having to close early on previous scarefests due to the cold, but the only time I ever remember wickerman suffering from it, is it’s opening ceremony. Hopefully it can stick it out.

Skyscraper likes this.
  7. Steve74

Steve74 TowersStreet Member

And I suspect that was more to do with ice and snow on the tracks, brakes, sensors and walkways rather than low ambient temperature. Don't forget that the operation of rides also has to take into account the evacuation of rides in the event of an emergency and the safety of guests and staff as they evacuate. That's why the Sky Ride closes at dusk - not just because there are no lights in the gondolas but because of it being too dark in the event of an emergency that required rescuing from a gondola in the middle of the cable over the gardens. Scary enough in daylight for guests and rescuers but in the dark?! :eek:

Ethan, Connor98 and Skyscraper like this.
  8. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

Does anyone know what the queue at capacity is for wicker man and the smiler

9. John

John TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    WM is unlikely to hit capacity as there is so much queue line for it that they never run out of space - it'll hold at least 90min. Smiler maxes out at around an hour, assuming people are standing where they're supposed to and the ride is running reasonably efficiently

Skyscraper and Ethan like this.
  10. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

An update regarding ride availability on the extra weekend of 14/15th Nov.

[​IMG]

Interesting that they would choose to close the Dungeon, an indoor attraction during this time of year. Perhaps demand hasn’t been high.

Skyscraper and Swarm Chris like this.
  11. Swarm Chris

Swarm Chris TowersStreet Member

I'm glad they closed the Dungeon, I'd hate to do that on a wet and windy day. o_O

I love the wording of throwing terms and conditions around. No sorry for any disappointment, just go straight to the legal department.

RoyJess and AT86 like this.
  12. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    That seems fair enough. Thirteen would struggle in colder temperatures anyway, and the water rides aren't likely to be in demand mid-November. The Dungeons will be down to the number of staff/actors required to operate it I imagine.

13. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Or the Dungeons has reached the end of the road and is being ripped out for a new family friendly dark ride boat attraction!

Yeah yeah, wishful thinking I know.

Skyscraper, James, Ethan and 2 others like this.
  14. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Dungeon has high staffing costs. If they don't get enough guests it isn't worth opening it. Also with the park closed on the weekdays there is no point keeping the actor staff on all week just for one more weekend.

15. Swarm Chris

They've got to have actors in limbo between Scarefest and Christmas roles. Should run a special adlib Dungeon for one weekend.

16. jon81uk

Does the Dungeon open for Christmas?

17. Swarm Chris

Nope. I meant the actors waiting to be Elves, brought in to cover Dungeon roles. :D

Edit: as a fair few are normally scare actors anyway.

18. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

That’s sort of the point of actors right? ;)

They can be a Plague Doctor one minute, Santa’s Elves the next and then a Princess for Half Term.

No need to keep recruiting people for each event.

19. jon81uk

Some of the roles will be different of cause. a 6ft6 tall guy would make a great torturer or plague doctor but is way too tall to play an elf. But yes I expect the non-Dungeons ents team move around a lot, Traffic Patrol, Alton Ancestors etc. It would be reasonable that Dungeons is managed separately though?

Skyscraper likes this.
  20. Has anyone actually been able to book for these dates with their pass?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.