• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2021: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
In addition to the Government H&S, each park has it own internal H&S team where they conduct their own risk assessments and advise the park accordingly, hence why you have different disparity's between the parks

Geographically I agree, in that Altons gardens and Towers will quire a different risk assessment to Thorpes Bridge and open water and Chessingtons Zoo etc etc

But operationally on like situations and processes it shouldn't happen. If there is a risk that one site has identified and is mitigating others should be too, there should be shared learning and consistency. Either something is safe or it is not, the response should always reflect that so be the same everywhere.

@pluk agree - that was mentioned on a post-Smiler analyst call. When they closed their "multi-car roller coasters" after Smiler that was in part to align policies and procedures across the group.

The Post Smiler accident muti car roller coaster closure was a central decision by Merlin due to the nature and seriousness of the accident as well as they were the ones in a lot of deep water. It might have also been called by the Gov H&S

In business, each business premises will have it own internal risk assessment as no two premises will have the same hazards. This will be in addition to their central policies. Risk assessment is required by law where there is more than 5 member of staff working for the company (this might have changed since I was last in business).

Personally, if you ask me, I do feel the difference in re-ride rules are more political than safety

Last edited:
I guess it depends on the ride when it comes to re rides. I can't see how rides like th13teen, wicker man and galactica can be a problem for intensity as those 3 are quite tame really. Oblivion also isn't that intense either and I'd happily go round on that again. The other 3 though are quite intense and I'm always satisfied with the force on them

The Post Smiler accident muti car roller coaster closure was a central decision by Merlin due to the nature and seriousness of the accident as well as they were the ones in a lot of deep water. It might have also been called by the Gov H&S

In business, each business premises will have it own internal risk assessment as no two premises will have the same hazards. This will be in addition to their central policies. Risk assessment is required by law where there is more than 5 member of staff working for the company (this might have changed since I was last in business).

Personally, if you ask me, I do feel the difference in re-ride rules are more political than safety
Also don’t forget in the days after towers reopened on coasters with 2 trains they were waiting till the one going round had stopped behind the station before the one in the station was dispatched.

Also don’t forget in the days after towers reopened on coasters with 2 trains they were waiting till the one going round had stopped behind the station before the one in the station was dispatched.
Good job they don't do that now, the queues would be even worse

With the opening of Duel, The Dungeons, Hex, Sealife, Justin’s House, Furchester Hotel, Gangsta Granny and the David Walliams flats from tomorrow along with all indoor dining - will the park increase the daily capacity now that they will be able to spread guests out onto more attractions?

With the opening of Duel, The Dungeons, Hex, Sealife, Justin’s House, Furchester Hotel, Gangsta Granny and the David Walliams flats from tomorrow along with all indoor dining - will the park increase the daily capacity now that they will be able to spread guests out onto more attractions?
I'd certainly think so - surely an increase in capacity should also in theory see an increase in opening times?

I'd certainly think so - surely an increase in capacity should also in theory see an increase in opening times?

Potentially yes. I guess it’s a balance, more rides open means more staffing and running costs so they will be weighing that up against increased gate takings and the cost of longer opening hours.

So, tomorrow is the day. The following attractions will open for the first time this season:

• Gangsta Granny: The Ride
  • The Alton Towers Dungeon
  • Sharkbait Reef by SEA LIFE
  • Duel: The Haunted House Strikes Back
  • Justin's House Pie-O-Matic Factory
  • Charlie and Lola's Moonsquirters and Green Drops
  • Hex - The Legend of the Towers
  • The Royal Carousel
  • Raj's Bouncy Bottom Burp
  • Flavio's Fabulous Fandango
Plus indoor dining and other shows are able to begin and/or resume.

This, all in all, will add considerable capacity across the park - totalling somewhere in the order of 3,000 additional rides per hour and that is before you start adding in the capacity of the non ride attractions.

With this in mind, I would anticipate the daily capped capacity figure, currently rumoured to be in the order of 11,000 per day, to increase to perhaps 13 or 14,000 per day - a figure much more akin to a typical medium to busy day at Alton Towers. Of course, true 'busy' days are still a fair way off and, until social distancing requirements can depart, will not return due to the limited capacity on rides - especially the chronic capacity woes on attractions such as Th13teen, Gangsta Granny and Wicker Man.

It will be wonderful to see all attractions in the park back open this week.

@AstroDan It's interesting that Justin's House is still closed and marked as "due to gov guidance" on the app. I thought indoor play areas could reopen from today? :confused:

Last edited:
Was just coming to say I'd seen on twitter that Nemesis was down again - and yeah I think it's Funk'n'Fly's second full day of being closed as well. :confused:

I overheard a fellow guest saying staff told them it's routine maintence.

But that doesn’t mean anything. They always say that, it’s the official line and covers all manner of things.

They aren’t going to say ‘it’s closed because we found a massive crack in the footer this morning and need to get it fixed’ (for example) because the Daily Mail will be on the phone before you know it.

But that doesn’t mean anything. They always say that, it’s the official line and covers all manner of things.

They aren’t going to say ‘it’s closed because we found a massive crack in the footer this morning and need to get it fixed’ (for example) because the Daily Mail will be on the phone before you know it.
Well hopefully it's open tommorow

Isn't the official line temporary delay not "routine maintenance"?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.