2021: General Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skyscraper, 2nd Nov 2020.

1. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    It’s entirely down to personal opinion, really; I’m not a fan of Colossus at all (scores 2/10 for me) and I’m not the hugest on Saw either (scores 5/10 for me), so Thorpe’s coaster selection will naturally fall down for me because of those, even though I love Swarm, really like Inferno, and also quite like Stealth. Do also bear in mind that this is every coaster in the park, so Thorpe’s average rating is dragged down somewhat for me by Flying Fish and Walking Dead not being rated as highly by myself as the likes of Towers’ RMT.

JAperson and Skyscraper like this.
  2. andeyhart

andeyhart TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Definitely can't cosign on this. Towers, I think, has one of the best coaster line ups (if not the best) in Europe. If your take your subjective view out of it for a second and just evaulate whats on offer at Towers:
    B&M Invert - first of its kind in Europe.
    B&M Dive - World first.
    B&M Flyer - first of its kind in Europe (I think).
    Intamin Launch.
    Intamin Drop Coaster - possibly first of its kind (not sure)
    Maurhe Spinning Coaster.
    Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster - Still holds record for most inversions on Earth.
    Wooden Coaster - 1st built in UK for decades.

Thorpe just doesn't quite compete with that.

Ally, jon81uk, Ethan and 1 other person like this.
  3. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    I think Towers is helped massively by the fact that it just has a little bit more than Thorpe (7 major coasters compared to Thorpe’s 5), and I also think that their sideline coasters are of a higher quality; I really quite like RMT, and would rate it considerably higher than either of Flying Fish or Walking Dead (admittedly, I’ve only ridden TWD once, back in 2014 when it was known as X), and while I’m not the biggest fan of Spinball myself, I would rate it more highly than both of the aforementioned filler coasters at Thorpe.

If Thorpe had the same number of major coasters as Towers and had some stronger sideliners, I certainly think that the two would be quite closely matched in terms of coaster lineup myself.

Ethan likes this.
  4. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    I would play the card that this is the product you would have purchased if it was available at the time. If you can speak to someone pragmatic, you might be ok.

Matt.GC, jon81uk, Ethan and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

Can I clarify when I said I'd argue thorpes is better I meant in terms of overall quality per ride. Towers have more to offer and better filler rides so overall its lineup is definitely better. But the coasters on the lower end of the lineup for thorpe imo is better. Saw and colossus are better rides to have as weaker coasters than galactica and rita for example

JAperson and Matt N like this.
  6. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Update in terms of the annual passes.

D4n, Matt N and BarryZola like this.
  7. BarryZola

BarryZola TowersStreet Member

Would, if possible, like free parking, shop/food/beverage discount and no blackout dates. Not sure if they'll offer a Platinum annual pass or not but that would probably be required for what I mentioned. Personally I would probably pay up to about £180 for something like that.

8. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

I believe the equivalently named ‘Gold’ Merlin pass only blocks out the busy Halloween weekend and Fireworks dates. It would make sense to align this ‘Gold’ Alton Towers pass in terms of blockout dates and perks. But let’s see if that is the case!

jon81uk likes this.
  9. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Do we suspect that there may be a Platinum ATAP option that has no blackout dates, like the MAP?

JAperson likes this.
  10. JAperson

JAperson TowersStreet Member

I doubt that would be the case otherwise wouldn't there be signs for both?

Matt N likes this.
  11. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

But otherwise why call it the gold pass? It could just be the Alton Towers Annual Pass.

My guess, is that gold sales will start this year, with blackouts for fireworks and the busiest Scarefest dates. Then platinum sales start at the beginning of next season with no blocked dates and free parking.

JAperson likes this.
  12. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    So you can upsell to MAP Gold if someone queries about Resort Gold, presumably.

JAperson likes this.
  13. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

But if they are both gold it doesn't sound like an upsell.

JAperson likes this.
  14. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

The upswell would be Merlin gold gets you entry into 32 attractions, with the same perks and blackout dates.

15. NuttySquirrel

NuttySquirrel TowersStreet Member

Yes it seems logical that an Alton Towers Gold pass would give you all the same perks as the Gold MAP (same blackout dates, free parking, passholder discount), only for just the one park and thus cheaper. By the same logic, it should also be possible to buy a Platinum AT-only.

But as we've seen, not everything that Merlin do is logical, so there may be no correlation at all...

jon81uk likes this.
  16. NuttySquirrel

NuttySquirrel TowersStreet Member

17. s_g_k

s_g_k TowersStreet Member

Congo River Rapids has been down for a number of days now - anyone know what the issue might be?

Tom likes this.
  18. Danscott22

Danscott22 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    They're open now

Matt N and s_g_k like this.
  19. George Williams

George Williams TowersStreet Member

Judging from people I have spoken to onsite today a 5pm close is not really good enough with the numbers they have in, hearing that it's quite chaotic today

20. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    There's probably a fine line, what would be OK on a 17:00 close is thrown into chaos with any ride availability issues, something that Alton is very familiar with these days.