• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2021: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
They benefited me when i was going through an "episode" and lost my job, was very good for my general mental health.How is that not a benefit to me?

I had many joyful days there on quiet days.

Everything costs more these days, even joy it seems, which sucks the joy out of it if you can't escape as much as you used to be able to.

The cheap "lead in passes" caused a two class system...
I have the money, so I can push in with paid fasttrack.
I don't have the money, so instead of queueing for twenty minutes, which is acceptable, I have to let a thousand people ride before me, because they have paid an extra fifty quid to push in.

The problem was nothing like as bad when passes were more expensive.
Cheap passes caused massive capacity issues as well.
Booking should be easier when there aren't a million discounted pass holders.

As the wording states ‘come back for an entire year’ then it will be the return of annual passes, not season passes.
Have to admit that I had no idea Towers did Annual Passes, only Season Passes. :oops:
When were Towers-specific Annual Passes originally stopped?

Have to admit that I had no idea Towers did Annual Passes, only Season Passes. :oops:
When were Towers-specific Annual Passes originally stopped?

Yeah annual passes were sold for many years. They were stoped in 2018 when they were replaced with the season passes.

Just had a quick look at the website via archive.org and it shows that they were priced at £120 in 2017.

c54LSxn.jpg

pLXgBTj.jpg

Last edited:
Have to say I am a bit annoyed considering I've just bought a Merlin discovery pass primarily so I can go to towers. Yes I can go quite often on weekdays so the pass is decent value at £89. However, this doesn't include events such as scarefest, which I imagine the annual pass will

Have to say I am a bit annoyed considering I've just bought a Merlin discovery pass primarily so I can go to towers. Yes I can go quite often on weekdays so the pass is decent value at £89. However, this doesn't include events such as scarefest, which I imagine the annual pass will
Typical, what are the chances of that. Never mind I suppose next year you can switch over. Bad luck mate.

Why not try some of the other UK Merlin parks using your new MAP, if they're within easy reach?

For instance, Thorpe is a fairly easy drive (mostly motorway), and has some great rides!

Why not try some of the other UK Merlin parks using your new MAP, if they're within easy reach?

For instance, Thorpe is a fairly easy drive (mostly motorway), and has some great rides!
It does indeed. I have been before but I have to say it really didn't have the same feeling that towers has. There's something about towers that is magical and I just can't put my finger on it.

It does indeed. I have been before but I have to say it really didn't have the same feeling that towers has. There's something about towers that is magical and I just can't put my finger on it.
I have to say I’d agree that Towers has a certain something; I can’t put my finger on what, but Towers has always had an aura about it for me that no other UK park has! I don’t know about anyone else, but Towers is certainly my own favourite UK park!

I’ll admit that I probably like Thorpe a fair bit more than the majority, however; while it isn’t quite Alton Towers for me, I do still have a real soft spot for the place, and I think there’s a lot to like about it from my standpoint. I’ve never quite understood why people rag on it so much, as most seem to absolutely despise Thorpe with a passion; Thorpe Park has almost become a dirty phrase among British enthusiasts!

It might be worth popping into the Box Office next time you are at the park to see if they have the option for you to upgrade to an Alton Towers pass.

They have allowed this in previous years e.g paying the difference in price to upgrade from an attraction specific pass to a Merlin one, so it’s worth asking at least.

I have to say I’d agree that Towers has a certain something; I can’t put my finger on what, but Towers has always had an aura about it for me that no other UK park has! I don’t know about anyone else, but Towers is certainly my own favourite UK park!

I’ll admit that I probably like Thorpe a fair bit more than the majority, however; while it isn’t quite Alton Towers for me, I do still have a real soft spot for the place, and I think there’s a lot to like about it from my standpoint. I’ve never quite understood why people rag on it so much, as most seem to absolutely despise Thorpe with a passion; Thorpe Park has almost become a dirty phrase among British enthusiasts!
I'd argue thorpe have a better coaster lineup. Yes they have a couple less coasters but there's more quality there. At towers, I'd argue Galactica, th13teen and Rita are just meh. Whereas the only coaster I'd put in that category at thorpe is colossus. Saw is solid and probably similar level to Oblivion. Inferno, stealth and swarm are all high quality and about the same as wicker man. However, I'd say smiler, Nemesis and icon have a tier of their own as they're all absolutely class

I'd argue thorpe have a better coaster lineup. Yes they have a couple less coasters but there's more quality there. At towers, I'd argue Galactica, th13teen and Rita are just meh. Whereas the only coaster I'd put in that category at thorpe is colossus. Saw is solid and probably similar level to Oblivion. Inferno, stealth and swarm are all high quality and about the same as wicker man. However, I'd say smiler, Nemesis and icon have a tier of their own as they're all absolutely class
If I consult my spreadsheet, Alton Towers actually comes out as having a stronger coaster lineup in terms of quality than Thorpe for me; the average rating out of 10 for an Alton Towers coaster in my ranking is 6.9, while the average rating out of 10 for a Thorpe Park coaster in my ranking is 5.857142857.

The thing I’ll say about Thorpe is that I think it is held back by having a less expansive major ride lineup than the likes of Alton Towers and Blackpool Pleasure Beach. As someone who isn’t generally a huge lover of flat rides, I find there isn’t as much to do at Thorpe as there is at the other 2 big parks in the UK. I think Thorpe possibly excels more in the department of filler than Alton Towers, though, as they have a lot of flat rides and a fair few water rides too!

It might be worth popping into the Box Office next time you are at the park to see if they have the option for you to upgrade to an Alton Towers pass.

They have allowed this in previous years e.g paying the difference in price to upgrade from an attraction specific pass to a Merlin one, so it’s worth asking at least.
That is a good idea and I definitely will ask. I didn't even know you could do this. It would be good if it was allowed as it would allow me to go to scarefest more than once and make the most of those night rides. Thank you for informing me

If I consult my spreadsheet, Alton Towers actually comes out as having a stronger coaster lineup in terms of quality than Thorpe for me; the average rating out of 10 for an Alton Towers coaster in my ranking is 6.9, while the average rating out of 10 for a Thorpe Park coaster in my ranking is 5.857142857.

The thing I’ll say about Thorpe is that I think it is held back by having a less expansive major ride lineup than the likes of Alton Towers and Blackpool Pleasure Beach. As someone who isn’t generally a huge lover of flat rides, I find there isn’t as much to do at Thorpe as there is at the other 2 big parks in the UK. I think Thorpe possibly excels more in the department of filler than Alton Towers, though, as they have a lot of flat rides and a fair few water rides too!
Ye Towers definitely has a better lineup doesn't it! I think I'm conning myself by even think thorpe is better
Edit: sorry for double posting

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.