• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2022: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
For reference, The Retrosquad was leaked 5th March and announced 30th March, two weeks before the season started. Whilst my hopes are also fading, it's still possible for them to surprise us (so long as no employees take photos again).

For reference, The Retrosquad was leaked 5th March and announced 30th March, two weeks before the season started. Whilst my hopes are also fading, it's still possible for them to surprise us (so long as no employees take photos again).
That’s a really good point actually, I’d forgotten the time frames from last season. Fingers crossed for something!

The map on the app still shows the old Retrosquad but with their names removed. It’s most likely they haven’t got round to updating the app yet but maybe it means something else in that they’re keeping the graphics for a new set of temporary rides.

Do we think the level of investment in entertainment (ie shows, events etc) will be as great or greater than last year? Or do we think last year was as good as it was because it was the 40th/41st celebrations?

I hope they build on what they did last year; there really is no reason not to. We know the stage will remain for the next 3 or 4 years, so they're committed to doing something!

Do we think the level of investment in entertainment (ie shows, events etc) will be as great or greater than last year? Or do we think last year was as good as it was because it was the 40th/41st celebrations?

I hope they build on what they did last year; there really is no reason not to. We know the stage will remain for the next 3 or 4 years, so they're committed to doing something!

Recruitment wise they have been advertising various roles across the hotels and theme park for shows and special events, so hopefully the increased entertainment will continue for 2022.

I think (and hope) ents will continue to be a big thing for the parks now, they have learnt that people will sit on the lawns and watch a show, and also spend money whilst there, you only have to look how popular Oktoberfest was for towers, and the amount of people sat there eating and drinking after ride close.

It’s funny how for years Merlin entertainments have actually cut back and had no entertainment, and now all the parks do.

I think entertainment wise we'll continue to see a lot of it around the park. I'd like to eventually see a permanent indoor stage show however that isn't happening this year.
The events, being as popular as they were, will likely continue, I imagine at the very least we'll get Oktoberfest however I do think we are likely to see more. Oktoberfest is great for the park as it allows what used to be a quiet time for the park after the summer holidays to become busier. It's a win win for them and the customer.

For years people on this forum have said there was a market for entertainment but it's only recently that the Merlin parks have taken the plunge and found it was an overwhelming success. If only they would listen to this forum on other issues such as the food and beverage offering.

The significant stepping up of entertainment and special events at Merlin’s UK parks coincides very closely to the company going private in late 2019.

The way that spending on shows and events is categorised in accounting meant that the public Merlin avoided it, because the entire cost came off the balance sheet in one hit, whereas the spending on new attractions didn’t. This shift is definitely one of the benefits them being a private business again.

Went past today, signs of some incredibly brightly painted structures inside and probably a playground going in somewhere in the mix as there was a new slide outside.

Went past today, signs of some incredibly brightly painted structures inside and probably a playground going in somewhere in the mix as there was a new slide outside.
Did you spot these around cbeebies land or somewhere else?

Anyone had update of Congo river rapids or any new rides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We haven’t heard anything about Congo, sadly.

But in terms of new attractions; we have got 3 new CBeebies attractions coming this year, if that’s of any interest to you! And Nemesis is also getting fully retracked at some point in the not-too-distant future (although that isn’t necessarily 2022)!

In terms of CRR, (and the other closed rides at the end of the 2021 season), you'd think they'd all be now fixed and ready for opening days, 5 weeks on Saturday.

Thorpe Park announced earlier that Mardi Gras and Carnival are 2 new events this year along with the return of Oktoberfest and Fright nights. Hopefully Towers will announce something soon

I like how Thorpe are running MardiGras and Carnival for the whole length with no “off” days. I assume it’s just limited entertainment midweek and more of a weekend but still a good move!
Hope Towers follow suit.

I like how Thorpe are running MardiGras and Carnival for the whole length with no “off” days. I assume it’s just limited entertainment midweek and more of a weekend but still a good move!
Hope Towers follow suit.
In fairness to Towers they did the same last year - they had no off days during MardiGras or Oktoberfest - by "off days" I presume you mean closed days? I think weekdays during each event had less entertainment than the weekend, which to a certain degree you can expect, especially as for MardiGras it was their first time doing it

Hope Towers follow suit.

I do hope they limit the stage shows during weekdays/quiet days at Alton Towers, purely for the sanity of the entertainers. Felt so sorry for them on a Friday during Oktoberfest with only 1 table of people to interact with. Keep the roaming entertainers, but limit the main stage shows.

I do hope they advertise the show times a lot better this year, since it was tucked away next to main stage from what I could find. Am looking forward to visiting on a "busy" weekend during the events this year to see the entertainment & atmosphere.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.