• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2022]: Josefina's Imperial Magic Journey

Is it a cash flow thing though if they’ve just had another record attendance year?

Whilst I’m glad it’s not cancelled, I am slightly confused as to the reasons for the postponement. It’d be easy to blame covid, but the station was planned whilst covid was known, as too were all those other major projects which would be a resource draw.

I wonder whether it’s more a people resource problem, than a financial resource one. Are there enough people available to project manage all those projects at once?

Or maybe it’s just a confluence of all different issues coming together at once - between the covid tail being longer than expected, staff recruitment still being tricky, high existing expenditure, delays with Voltron, the tricky logistics of building in such a central location and all of the other demands from those other projects Dan mentions…

Glad the initial panic was misinformed and it will happen eventually

Understandably these have been tough years for the industry with a lot out of their control; however it still leaves a somewhat bitter taste - they've delivered half a project & then spent most of 2022 marketing concepts for the 2023 arrival of the second half only for them to suddenly disappear without comment until now.

Hopefully the wait isn't too long (although with Croatia debuting next year; it's probably more likely 2025 we see this finished); and who knows maybe the extra time will allow for more improvements in the long run- JkZ had a decent amount of criticism* especially with build material ageing poorly and quickly over the season, and perceived "cheapness" of parts. As seen with CanCan EP take feedback seriously and when something isn't up to their own standards try to rectify as best they can.
*not counting silly complaints about the theme choice or nostalgics crying for the old ride back

Is it a cash flow thing though if they’ve just had another record attendance year?

Record numbers are somewhat irrelevant, they will contribute to turnover, but not always profit. Depends on what expenses and other money sapping things they have going on in the background I guess.

Last edited:
I was thinking about this. Currently this is ongoing:
  • Croatia / Voltron development (£10s of millions)
  • Staff accommodation (£millions)
  • Rulantica expansion (£millions)
  • Power Supply developments £10s of millions)
Agree that they've overstretched themselves.

I reckon they regret what's happened – it isn't ideal to be delaying public-facing projects for infrastructure stuff.

But EP are masters at playing the long game. In a few years time when the next inevitable energy crisis hits, every other park across Europe will be scrambling around trying to deal with their energy bills quadrupling overnight, while EP will have dealt with the problem completely. And at that point, the Josefina station will seem insignificant.

Sam makes a very good point regarding energy, and the same can be said for investing in staff accommodation. They realise that they cannot get all of the staff they need from the local area and the best way to attract staff from further afield, including other countries, is to offer them an attractive accommodation proposal.

Despite the record guest numbers in 2022, staffing has probably been the one thing that has held the park and the hotels back. They know this and are addressing it.

Agree that they've overstretched themselves.

I reckon they regret what's happened – it isn't ideal to be delaying public-facing projects for infrastructure stuff.

But EP are masters at playing the long game. In a few years time when the next inevitable energy crisis hits, every other park across Europe will be scrambling around trying to deal with their energy bills quadrupling overnight, while EP will have dealt with the problem completely. And at that point, the Josefina station will seem insignificant.
Worth noting that lots of major parks have taken steps regarding energy bills etc, they are just not as closely followed as Europa on here. But then most parks are also delaying projects so kind of the same deal I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam
So the budget for phase 2 looks to have disappeared into rebuilding parts of Josefinas phase 1 which were heavily criticised.
IMG_6321.png

Parts of the fake topiary structures in the ride have been removed; and Universal Rocks are at work rebuilding them as 'real stone'.
Source

That should hopefully give them a good budget to make it look so much better? It really wasn't a fan of the topiarys and absurd-looking turfed areas sticking out like a sore thumb.

I wish they'd been able to leave this project until money permitted the whole shebang. I think this is the first project at Europa I've properly followed which has been quite underwhelming and fails to live up to the expectations presented elsewhere in the park.

The park is open for a Swiss supermarket buy out today giving a first look at the new new Josefinas. The entire central gardens section the boats pass through has been completely rebuilt, the new boats are in service. No changes in the tunnel/dark ride section or station (despite the planning permission they'd filed for a smaller 1 floor station).
FrfecdmXgAEy2u6

FrfecdkWYAALTpn

FrfecdoWcAAQlOK

FrfecdnWwAABKIy

Source

Breaking up those hedges does make it look significantly better. Especially now that most of them don't look like they are just growing out of the water.

Can someone just clarify what phase 2 was meant to include i.e. what has been delayed that people are disappointed at? I think the rides looking good.

Is the dark ride part staying the same or is that meant to be the next phase?

Can someone just clarify what phase 2 was meant to include i.e. what has been delayed that people are disappointed at? I think the rides looking good.

Is the dark ride part staying the same or is that meant to be the next phase?
They announced from the start this as 2 phases - the first being what we got in 2022; and in 2023 the rest of the African area (Food Station/Toilets opposite) would be removed, the whole area themed to fit Austria, new Josefinas station & queue with a new restaurant (replacing Food Station) above including slides, and new boats.

Instead now this year we got the new boats, and half of phase 1 rebuilt because it was subpar. With the park saying at the most recent fan q&a they consider the ride finished now (so basically don't expect any of that promised but now cancelled stuff anytime soon)

1647768476843.png
1647768503524.png
1647768535499.png
Big new eatery with lake views about the ride's queue. Also, slides! The tables on the new boats suggest you might be able to have a meal on the ride?!

(photos from EPFans.info, obviously!)

I imagine it possible one day they could revisit the plans in a couple of years; but either way this has been a poorly executed project with a lot promised, done cheaply and now seemingly to fix mistakes the budget for finishing it has vanished.

I trust Europa to get it finished or carry on improvement - even with a delay, they aren't merlin, they'll not let things rot or rest of negative feedback.

For all its worth I went on it twice last year and rather enjoyed it! I love the idea of taking a drink on! When it was the jungle raft I chatted with my friend it would a perfect ride to have a cocktail in hand!

However the dark ride section just feels temporary - just an artificial plant tunnel... It would be great if they put in a Merlins quest type dark ride section!