• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I’ve removed a number of posts relating to a vlog on the Nemesis retrack which features updates which have already been posted and discussed at length.

As a reminder, the first post in this topic points you to the dedicated topics for large projects going on at towers. This includes a dedicated Nemesis topic.

Additionally, we clearly laid out the rules for posting videos in Guest Services a while back. I’d encourage everyone to read it again to ensure they’re familiar with what we’re asking of everyone who contributes here. In short, we are a discussion forum not a link dump - if people want to watch YouTube videos they know where to find them. Videos on TowersStreet should be used to assist you in making your own views and discussion to a topic.

Finally, if you see something that you feel goes against the rules we have in place on the forum - report it rather than reply yourself as it’s seen as backseat moderating. The team can then review it and decide where to go from there, instead of take discussion further off topic. Thanks all :)

I really like that Merlin still promote Mutiny Bay after 15 YEARS of its debut now with the Pirate Takeover for this year!

Still their best area they've made IMO. Really well done, nice little rides, like the additional theming, and love the ambient music! They didn't have to add an animatronic Parrot, but they did, and it really does add to it!

I really like that Merlin still promote Mutiny Bay after 15 YEARS of its debut now with the Pirate Takeover for this year!

Still their best area they've made IMO. Really well done, nice little rides, like the additional theming, and love the ambient music! They didn't have to add an animatronic Parrot, but they did, and it really does add to it!

Your positivity is charming, however I am guessing you never visited when it was Merrie England. Perhaps have a look at some past pictures and you will see that really Mutiny Bay is just that with some minor Pirate tweaks. To be honest I always thought of it as a bit of a downgrade as it went from being a fairly bright area to everything being brown. Merlin haven’t truly created a new area at all since owning the park.

I will concede that the old theme was a bit dated and Battle Galleons was certainly an improvement on what was there prior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Wild Asia in Chessington was probably the best fully redeveloped area I can think of.
Wild Asia is a good area and probably is the only good Merlin area I can think of.

Last edited:
I've just noticed a job listing appear on LinkedIn for a seemingly new position; Continuous Improvement Lead. Two of the points of the role include:
  • Continually look for ways to improve efficiency across the resort delivering hard & soft benefits
  • To successfully project manage all CI productivity CAPEX installations across the resort
No idea what this Continuous Improvement concept refers to, but hopefully it implies they wish to install frontline individuals with the power to make small, effective changes given there's a capex budget behind it.

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but there's a nice interview piece posted here with Mark Fisher as he retires.

It's great because it's local journalism doing just that, but also a great aspirational story of someone who started out in a character costume at Alton and is retiring as a Merlin exec. Sounds like his successor has walked a similar path.

It looks as though we've had another Alton Towers break-in by an influencer... interestingly, they seemingly weren't caught this time:

These folks broke into multiple rides, including having a "party" on top of Oblivion. They also went into what look like multiple scare mazes.

I often have many questions when I see this type of video.

One main one, though, is; if you did break into a theme park successfully, surely uploading a video of your exploits, where your voices are heard and your faces are seen numerous times, onto YouTube is not the wisest idea if you don't want to get punished?

I could be completely wrong here, but if you post a video onto YouTube of you breaking into a theme park where your voice and face are shown numerous times, aren't you essentially shouting from the rooftops that you've committed a crime, thus making yourself more likely to get caught?

Even putting that aside, that kind of thing is incredibly risky. They could have been seriously injured or possibly even killed had that gone wrong.

It looks as though we've had another Alton Towers break-in by an influencer... interestingly, they seemingly weren't caught this time:

These folks broke into multiple rides, including having a "party" on top of Oblivion. They also went into what look like multiple scare mazes.

I often have many questions when I see this type of video.

One main one, though, is; if you did break into a theme park successfully, surely uploading a video of your exploits, where your voices are heard and your faces are seen numerous times, onto YouTube is not the wisest idea if you don't want to get punished?

I could be completely wrong here, but if you post a video onto YouTube of you breaking into a theme park where your voice and face are shown numerous times, aren't you essentially shouting from the rooftops that you've committed a crime, thus making yourself more likely to get caught?

Even putting that aside, that kind of thing is incredibly risky. They could have been seriously injured or possibly even killed had that gone wrong.

These videos are often really interesting, but the people in them are usually utter idiots and do totally irresponsible things.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.