• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
But the Discovery Pass also gets you into four other theme parks, a castle and numerous other attractions. Can't really compare to a single park pass.
For those who can easily visit on weekdays I still think Discovery is a fantastic price.
Ah you see the problem there is that I only visit towers🤣. I bought that pass because I wasn't willing to pay £30 more for the same park just with scarefest added on. But now they've introduced this cheaper one it seemed like a good option

Ah you see the problem there is that I only visit towers🤣. I bought that pass because I wasn't willing to pay £30 more for the same park just with scarefest added on. But now they've introduced this cheaper one it seemed like a good option
Well technically gold compared to discovery adds a lot more dates, its not just scarefest as discovery excludes the whole of August and almost all Saturdays.
But yes the Silver pass also has a lot of the school holiday exclusions and the single park one is only £10 more than discovery.

If you are mainly a weekday visitor though Discovery is still a great deal if you might go to the other attractions.

If you are mainly a weekday visitor though Discovery is still a great deal if you might go to the other attractions.
I do visit a lot so I'm happy with the pass still. I'll only go to scarefest maybe once a year anyway. Last season I went at least 25 times on the off peak dates. Off peak if you can visit then is truly amazing because sometimes it feels like you've got the park to yourself when it's really quiet. The only negative is I just abused the rides to an extent where I got bored so I don't think I'll visit as much this year as I do actually need to enjoy it, that's the purpose of going to these places

I do visit a lot so I'm happy with the pass still. I'll only go to scarefest maybe once a year anyway. Last season I went at least 25 times on the off peak dates. Off peak if you can visit then is truly amazing because sometimes it feels like you've got the park to yourself when it's really quiet. The only negative is I just abused the rides to an extent where I got bored so I don't think I'll visit as much this year as I do actually need to enjoy it, that's the purpose of going to these places
Yeah I'm hoping to go on an off-peak day this season. Not had the chance before, and it will be nice to be able to ride everything as much as I like without the queues. Only downside of course is the 4pm closes, but that's a small price to pay in my opinion.

Yeah I'm hoping to go on an off-peak day this season. Not had the chance before, and it will be nice to be able to ride everything as much as I like without the queues. Only downside of course is the 4pm closes, but that's a small price to pay in my opinion.
On a proper off peak day, I wouldn’t worry about a 4pm closure.

I’ve had plenty of true off peak midweek visits with a 4pm closure and I’ve had time for a sit down lunch, plenty of re-rides and come half 3 and 16 rides later, a 4pm close seems perfectly reasonable.

Just got to watch out for those pesky school & college coachloads turning up on off-peak days like last year. Ruined many a traditional off-peak day. Hopefully that was just a legacy of cancelled trips that should have happened during Covid. I have a feeling that Towers may have actually started offering lower priced packages to colleges etc at off-peak times or something though. But yes, hopefully quite a few quiet days will be forthcoming.

Just got to watch out for those pesky school & college coachloads turning up on off-peak days like last year. Ruined many a traditional off-peak day. Hopefully that was just a legacy of cancelled trips that should have happened during Covid. I have a feeling that Towers may have actually started offering lower priced packages to colleges etc at off-peak times or something though. But yes, hopefully quite a few quiet days will be forthcoming.
Yeah that's unfortunately a risk of going on a term time weekday. It's like a lottery as to whether there'll be coaches or not.

Yeah that's unfortunately a risk of going on a term time weekday. It's like a lottery as to whether there'll be coaches or not.
Just go in March, start of April or start of October. Those were the quietest times I found. May and September some quiet times too but more coaches than normal last year. Obviously the no go months are June and July for school trips. Especially the last 2 weeks before summer holidays it was packed

Just go in March, start of April or start of October. Those were the quietest times I found. May and September some quiet times too but more coaches than normal last year. Obviously the no go months are June and July for school trips. Especially the last 2 weeks before summer holidays it was packed
Has ever been thus...
Avoid also the first sunny days after rain, and the week before scarefest starts is just about perfect.

The story regarding the YouTube video from last week has made its way to the local news, with a statement from the park, wonder if this will actually lead to any charges being brought.

A spokesperson for Alton Towers Resort, part of Merlin Entertainments Group, said: “In 2018 Merlin Entertainments Group was granted a High Court injunction against all unauthorised access to all our sites across England and Wales. By illegally trespassing ‘Out of Society’ have risked their own lives, but also endangered our visitors, employees and our property and we take that extremely seriously.

“They now face a significant fine, imprisonment and seizure of their assets. We immediately started an internal investigation and are working closely with the Police. Further action will be taken. “

Since when was trespassing illegal.
As stated, in 2018 Merlin Entertainments Group was granted a High Court injunction against all unauthorised access to all our sites across England and Wales.

By having that in place, they have entered without authorisation and it is trespass.

Lots of discussion as to how enforceable the injunction is a few pages back

I don't want to go through it all again, but unless Merlin can prove, clearly, in court, that this group has evidential links to Ally Law's mob of idiots, then the injunction cannot be used against them, sadly.

I don't want to go through it all again, but unless Merlin can prove, clearly, in court, that this group has evidential links to Ally Law's mob of idiots, then the injunction cannot be used against them, sadly.

What about the bolded, taken from their website:

Following several instances of repeated and reckless trespass at some of its properties, Merlin Entertainments Group were granted an injunction at the High Court of Justice in London on 10th August 2018.

In respect of it properties within England and Wales, the injunction applies to the three named individuals on the Court Order, together with those who trespassed with them but remain unidentified, as well as any person that may attempt to trespass in the future.

That is the precise part that has not been tested in law, and means basically anybody...which is what makes it unenforceable.
You cannot take out an injunction against anybody..."persons unknown" is used differently under other criminal law, mainly against squatters.
You would also have to prove that the "offender" was aware of the injunction...how would they do that exactly?
For that point to be enforced, individuals would have to recieve previous warnings...Laws group have, this group haven't.
This group broke no laws, Towers own security was very poor, the group weren't even invited to leave at any time!
There will be zero police action, probably legal warning letters regarding future conduct.

That is the precise part that has not been tested in law, and means basically anybody...which is what makes it unenforceable.
You cannot take out an injunction against anybody..."persons unknown" is used differently under other criminal law, mainly against squatters.
You would also have to prove that the "offender" was aware of the injunction...how would they do that exactly?

I have no idea. That’s one for Merlin’s lawyers. They are currently talking the talk. Let’s see if they attempt to walk the walk and test it in court.

It was one of the urban explorer site legal topics that covered it in length, at the time of the injunction first being served.
Even though it was of dubious legality, the section was allowed to remain as a warning to other associates of Law, but it cannot be used against random trespassers without giving them reasonable prior notice.
Single postings of the notice outside main entrances and on websites is not sufficient...even if it looks good.

I know people on here have mentioned the security, or lack of, but it's embarrassing that supposedly 2nd to Disney in the world Merlin is so easily accessible. Whilst no one condones their actions, they've just proven that merlins security for such a large organisation is beyond a joke. These guys were screaming and shouting, playing music and flashing torches and yet no one noticed? Seems to me like whoever was working on security that night needs to be sacked

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.