• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2023] The Curse at Alton Manor

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
They could be gutted, but they also might not be gutted. John Wardley is involved with this project, I highly doubt he'd want to see, heck, participate in the demolishing of his own piece of work. Remember when he reacted to Imperial Leathers Bubblewoks redo, he was so upset about it that he was told if he ridden it, he'd be in tears, so he probably hasn't rode it since. He didn't even come to Bubbleworks last day. He's incredibly passionate about his rides no matter their age, but doesn't want to be involved with anything regarding his rides with a negative result to him personally. He'd most likely do the same if Duel was being gutted completely, but he hasn't, he's been participating from what we know so far. Counting the potential chances that Him holding a book of unused ideas was true and actually happened early this year on the ride, he'll probably be wanting to utilise them in this version of The ride along with the coexisting scenes in there currently. It's his House, he mpsy likely knows what's best for the ride.

In terms of @Matt N 'Scenes are 30 years old and are rather worn down, and technology has progressed since then.' I completely understand the first half, but the 'technology has progressed' I don't think you're quite understanding the Haunted House's original intention in terms of execution.

The ride was originally intended to have a simple design technically wise, that's why John wanted it to be a "High Quality Fun Fair Ghost Train." The only things that were technically impressive in the ride was the ride system, the Ghost corridor scare, and the superb lighting Done by John and Rex Studios. Outside of those aspects, John and Keith both wanted to mostly use simple mechanics, illusions, and animatronics. Bubbleworks, a ride both designed by them only opened 2 years prior, and it was quite a bit more advanced. It had water effects, fully working human shaped animatroncis that could move their legs, arms, heads, eyes, mouth etc, and it was a lot more consistent throughout the ride. There was movement everywhere, even in the slightest of small details within the ride.

The Haunted House pretty much had the same budget as Bubbleworks and they could've easily been made more advanced, but they didn't. Most People love the ride because of its simplicity, its clever use of illusions and tricks, its charm, and Character, even when it was a former shadow of itself as Duel. The reason its been getting a widespread negative reputation in the last 3 years us because of its low maintenance and TLC.

If John Burton was intending to rip out Most of the HH scenes, I doubt he'd ask JW for help on the project. Why have John Wardley involved if it isn't anything related to the Original Haunted House in terms of restoration and more ideas. Why advertise Emily Altons phrase 'This is my House' and 'Possessed, I want to play.' If the ride won't even be remotely similar inside next season. It can't be the Haunted House by not being The Haunted House. By that definition, All that'll be left is Emily Alton, and it's name 'The Haunted House.' It's like trying to tell someone that the dish you were given is a ham sandwich when it's clearly corned beef and not ham, it just doesn't cut it. They're both good in different ways, but it's not what People really asked for outside of young roller coaster enthusiasts mostly. Most people just want the guns gone and the ride looking to be looking in a good state from what I've seen on social media.

I could be wrong, I could be right, but for now no one knows, but the likelihood of them Ripping out all of The Haunted House scenes is pretty low with JW being on board, and the only bits we've seen being dumped put are from when it was made into Duel.

There's an entry near the rides station, located in the Poltergeist Room. Its a double fire exit door, they could've easily ripped out the moving walls in there in no time long ago, but they've decided to start with the much larger and more complex Zombie final with all the props, the catwalks near the roof, the great amount of Targets and Wiring. Why start there when they could've started with a smaller, easier to access scene to rip out of right by a double door fire exit? With the gates shut to the facade outside, most people won't even notice them removing it. I know the final has the main garage doors at the back to be accessed by, but getting rid of the more simple and accessible scenes first would've been logical and would save time. Though I am sure a couple of the HH scenes will most likely be going.

All we can do now is wait...
Mentioning John's involvement as being some sort of indication that the ride won't be updated properly really is clutching at straws. I'm sure if Merlin came to him with a wheelbarrow full of cash to replace anything he's ever built that's coming up to it's sell by date he wouldn't hesitate to design something bigger, better and more modern. A significant upgrade to a 30 year old ride is completely different to slapping Imperial Leather stickers on Bubbleworks.

Although I'm sure they'll be some reused assets, Easter eggs to the past, some familiar faces, a similar concept and (although I hope not) even perhaps a revert back to the old name, it wouldn't make business sense not to spend as much of their budget on trying to make the ride as new and fresh (and marketable) as they possibly can. I'm sure the question John was asked was "help us build a great haunted house" rather than "help us rebuild the old Haunted House".

You've kind of proved my point in this post. Whilst your affection for the original HH is commendable, as someone who rode it many times to someone who never has, let it go man. Let it go. For the love of God let it go.

Clutching at straws is all we have here.
It is all inside a big tin shed, you won't know until next spring at the earliest.
Indeed, let it go, the fog of speculative words, all complete guesswork, is spamming up this topic completely.
Think twice, post once sometimes, to misquote Howlin' Wolf.

The ride will never be the same as it was on 1992, definitely. Some of the scenes have aged really badly and NEED gutting, such as the Giants lair. I was just saying with John Involved, he'd definitely want to give the ride the refurb it deserves, so I can see a lot of new and old elements of the ride in its next form with a more theatrical execution next year.

I fully agree with you that having a budget that supposedly big, a few scenes, original or not, will be definitely scrapped and replaced with new ones, I just doubt that they'll have enough to fully replace every single scene in the ride for changes sake. Im sure if they are intending to rip out 90% of the ride, I'm sure we'd seen more evidence by now in the form of scraps and broken down props.

The thing is right now, no matter what side of the discussion you're on, we just don't know outside of a few dodgy photos, a few teasers, and a phone number. We just simply don't know. Only the staff at the park really know. It could just go back to the Haunted House, but it could also go to changed a full on modern Ghost Train. To be frank, the ideal situation would be a bit of both, for both sides of the spectrum on this discussion. Have some new scenes in there, have some old Haunted House scenes refurbed back to their former glory. Everyone's happy, yay! But I even doubt that'll probably not happen unfortunately :(

Last edited:
Im sure if they are intending to rip out 90% of the ride, I'm sure we'd seen more evidence by now in the form of scraps and broken down props.
One thing I’d say there is that enthusiasts surely aren’t watching the area behind Duel 24/7, so there could have been (and probably has been) a lot more removal than has been seen on social media. I’d be very surprised if the particular removal being caught by that person on Twitter a few days back was the only removal to have occurred in the ride.

You’re right in saying that we really don’t know, so I could be completely wrong here, but there is one key piece of evidence that leads me to believe that this overhaul may be the biggest the ride has ever had by some margin, and that is that it closed in September rather than at the end of the season. Surely if it was a minor touch up, the closed season would have been a more than sufficient time frame?

It will be scarier purely on the basis you don’t have a gun.

I think Wardley always said one of his issues with Duel is that any element of fear is massively reduced from a different psychological perspective when you’re armed with a gun.

You’re obviously also far less focussed on details etc because you’re constantly trying to hit targets.

Even with the blaster it still was, even in its later life, still scary for little ones if my nieces were anything to go by, God knows how things might have been if they didn't have a blaster.

If we are getting some old scenes back such as the giant scene, likely they will be different with updated effects though I'm aware JW wanted new scenes added in seasonly when it first opened to keep it fresh or if technology wasn't quite there yet. Given by now surely we can do things far more effectively compared to then now surely they can do things now though given how many lost concepts for HH never made it in the final ride, I wouldn't be surprised of JW thinks of this as finally the chance to bring those lost concepts to life so it might be a Hail Mary moment for him knowing this could be the only chance he ever gets with the HH to do this.

I agree that the blasters going could certainly make the ride different in tone, and I think it could have more of a tangible effect than you’d probably expect.

I never tried Duel without the blasters, but I can imagine that the experience would probably be pretty different without them; I certainly think that the ride could be more scary without the blasters, because the fact that you aren’t hyper focused upon trying to shoot targets could draw your attention to the ambience and atmosphere of the scene, as well as each individual scare.

I also think that the ride could be different without the blasters because from having seen POVs of the HH, the ride did appear to have a distinctly different tone to Duel; where Duel, with the fast-paced soundtrack and the brighter lighting, had a feeling of constant energy and action throughout, the HH looked a lot more ambient, and surprisingly still and eerie in certain scenes.

I must admit that I do look forward to that kind of ambience hopefully returning in the ride’s new incarnation.

Can we all just agree that the best scenes in Duel/The HH are The Grand Hall, Trommel (when it works), The Hall of Spider, The Screaning Heads, and The Garden.

Only the grand hall and trommel would work for me if both was updated. I like the idea of spider scene but it’s always been poorly executed even in it’s prime HH days. I know controversial but I would be happy for them to replace the gothic gardens too. Sorry just my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, I’d agree with the Grand Hall and the Sinister Garden being two of the strongest scenes, and I also think that the Skeleton Corridor is quite good as well. I think the Trommel could also be a good scene if it worked.

In terms of the ones I’m less keen on; controversially, I’m not personally that keen on the Screaming Heads scene, and I’m also not that keen on the bats scene after the Trommel.

In essence, my favourite HH scenes are/were the ones with more detailed set design, and my least favourite ones were the ones where the scene just consisted of plain black walls and props on sticks.

The screaming heads and bats scenes were great, but unfortunately they were poorly executed in recent years and the effect was totally spoilt.

I’d be happy to see both these scenes retained and brought back to their former glory.

The trommel was a good illusion when it worked, but even though as a kid I experienced the original haunted house, I honestly can’t remember the trommel ever operating.

and my least favourite ones were the ones where the scene just consisted of plain black walls
and I also think that the Skeleton Corridor is quite good as well.
Eh? All thats left of the corridor is plain black walls. A skeleton and a vampire dummy that barely move

I like the idea of spider scene but it’s always been poorly executed even in it’s prime HH days.

Bizarrely it lasted about 2 years being good until it was all moved around and most the scenery removed in the mid 90s

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.