• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2023] The Curse at Alton Manor

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Is there any chance that the original idea of having the giant spider 'drop' could be implemented reliably and to great effect with current technology and within Merlin's budget for the refurb?

I quite like how Merlin animated the spiders on the Jumanji ride, maybe something similar where they drop down (a spray of water would add too the affect) maybe some projections on the walls of creepy crawlies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Double post sorry, but wanted to share this video on here. I think this update video pretty much confirms that the Hall of Spiders and the entire Trommel scene before you enter it is being scrapped.

What makes you say that @Trooper Looper? I couldn’t make out what theming Shawn was zooming in on in the video.

The copious amount of skips would suggest, however, that a lot of theming is being removed. What I’ve seen so far reinforces my suspicion that we will be riding a pretty different ride to either of the previous iterations in 2023.

Last edited:
I would love the swamp finale to be brought back, but it is unlikely because I don't think that Towers will recreate a scene that was in a previous attraction.

I would love the swamp finale to be brought back, but it is unlikely because I don't think that Towers will recreate a scene that was in a previous attraction.
Well, you never know, as many ideas for the swamp finale were scrapped shortly after opening because they didn't have the tech at the time or the mechanisms weren't reliable.

Also, just to point out, we've seen many set pieces being stripped, and a few accounts of the zombies, but no apparitions or pre 2003 props have been sighted, and they're huge! Wouldn't it jave been easier if they removed the Giabt spider first before all the Columns in the scene since props are easily mobile and are made to be taken apart for maintenance? Why go through all the effort of removing the scenery first when there placed there permanently when the props are easier to take care of? Maybe they're keeping a majority of the figures and props, but are enhancing the scenery around them with new additions in place of old ones.

Wee question I have to ask, what year was the last, dare I say, botched refurb of Duel again? 2017 or 2018?

Also, just to point out, we've seen many set pieces being stripped, and a few accounts of the zombies, but no apparitions or pre 2003 props have been sighted, and they're huge! Wouldn't it jave been easier if they removed the Giabt spider first before all the Columns in the scene since props are easily mobile and are made to be taken apart for maintenance? Why go through all the effort of removing the scenery first when there placed there permanently when the props are easier to take care of? Maybe they're keeping a majority of the figures and props, but are enhancing the scenery around them with new additions in place of old ones.
The props may have simply been removed without someone sighting them. Influencers will not be watching the Duel building 24/7, so what we’ve had photographed is very unlikely to be the extent of what has been removed. The props could simply have snuck under the radar!

If anything, I’d have expected them to keep set pieces over props. The props are likely to be knackered after 30 years of use, and are/were arguably showing their age a bit, whereas some of the set design within the ride was actually very detailed and could be very useful within a new attraction.

With everything we’ve seen, it is my personal suspicion that not much, if any, internal stuff from 1992 or 2003 will remain.
Wee question I have to ask, what year was the last, dare I say, botched refurb of Duel again? 2017 or 2018?
The TLC refurb happened for the 2018 season. This was certainly when the Simon Allen soundtrack was introduced, and I seem to remember the other more recent changes coinciding with that.

They did play with it a bit more even after that, however. For instance, the indoor queue was changed for 2021 as a result of the criticism levelled at Duel’s disabled access situation in 2020.

Any chance of being able to move from one thread to another without having the same video being posted in both? It's a bit overkill. Bit spammy.
Sorry. I thought it would be appropriate to upload it with the appropriate thread. I'll make sure not to repeat that again :)

To follow with the posts from above, the Trommel set pieces is still out in the open, heck, pretty much everything is still out there since they started gutting it. It wouldn't be hard to notice a giant Spider prop on the ground with its legs cut off from a drone views.

I still think some aspect of the HH will survive inside. Why would they repair the Hearse Ghost pepper effect for this year if the ride wouldn't even be open until late September, an unpopular ride with nearly no queue ever to go with that.

Thinking about the soundtrack, do you think that the 2018 Simon Allen version will be retained?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.