• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2023] The Curse at Alton Manor

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I for one am pleased to hear John speak so positively and optimisitic about a situation that's been pretty sore for 20 years, and with positive words about his relationship with the fans at the end.

Here's hoping he doesnt see the posts and tweets like "Get a life", "Cry harder", "stop the worship" and the needless negative quips at anyone who appreciates the original work that went into these attractions to make the park what it is.
Took the words right out of my mouth! What he, Sparks, Tussauds, and Rex studios made in the 90s was truly something special! No need for heavy slander and negativity because of an opinion you don't agree with on a specific attraction.

You’ve lost all credibility when you show Disney imagineers budget vs Aldi magic makers.

Technology moves on…. If your budget and experts allow. Merlin don’t have this luxury backed by one of the biggest companies in the world. Their projection mapping is clear to see in both the dungeon and Wickerman rides.

How can you compare this to what they do in Disney?

John does mention “modern technology” in that interview, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there was some projection mapping or something in there somewhere. As I’ve said before, I feel like this type of technology could be really beneficial to the ride if used well.

However, it should hopefully put the minds of those concerned about it becoming a big screen-fest at ease. It does sound as though the ride will not be going too far down the “screens” route from what John said.

I personally found John’s comment about a “clever backstory” really encouraging… I’m glad to hear that it sounds as though the ride will be gaining a greater storytelling element, as I did feel that the lack of that was a weakness of Duel/The Haunted House.

Honestly, I'm much more excited for this now after listening to what he's said. I remember it being discussed a few months ago, the prospect of a substantial part of the existing theming remaining, I really don't think that's going to be the case. Just my opinion, based on everything I've heard since September.

Honestly, I'm much more excited for this now after listening to what he's said. I remember it being discussed a few months ago, the prospect of a substantial part of the existing theming remaining, I really don't think that's going to be the case. Just my opinion, based on everything I've heard since September.
I agree with you. I think we’ll be riding an almost totally new ride in March, and based on what John has said, I am rather looking forward to it!

I personally found John’s comment about a “clever backstory” really encouraging… I’m glad to hear that it sounds as though the ride will be gaining a greater storytelling element, as I did feel that the lack of that was a weakness of Duel/The Haunted House.
The Haunted House didn't really have much of a backstory, but Duel definitely did have one, even though it was not emphasised much. I hope that when it reopens in 2023, there will be more storytelling and ambiance but perhaps less jump scares so it can appeal to a slightly wider age range.

I agree with you. I think we’ll be riding an almost totally new ride in March, and based on what John has said, I am rather looking forward to it!
It'll be nice to have an actual story to be honest. I only ever experienced it as Duel, and John Wardley is absolutely right, the guns do take everything away, as I can genuinely say I never rode Duel without not using the guns, and probably couldn't tell you what 70% of the theming was, as I was too fixated on the targets (or blank walls when they didn't work lol). I want to actually be a little scared on there, so hopefully it delivers.

The Haunted House didn't really have much of a backstory, but Duel definitely did have one, even though it was not emphasised much. I hope that when it reopens in 2023, there will be more storytelling and ambiance but perhaps less jump scares so it can appeal to a slightly wider age range.
Less jumpscares? I can't say I agree with that. In regards to appealing to a wider age range, there's other areas of the park ala Cbeebies Land & Walliams World to entertain that audience - Duel/The Haunted House/Whatever the hell it's set to be named next... is located in an area of the park containing thrill rides, therefore to place a tame ghost train there would not look right.

To me, it needs much more jumpscares - and good ones at that. I think i've only been genuinely spooked by one jumpscare in Duel, the rest I felt were extremely predictable they didn't even make me flinch in the slightest, or were so well lit you could see them from across the room.

I think they should go all in for a really eerie, spooky ghost train. There's not many decent ghost trains in the country, so why not put the new Haunted House on the map?

Less jumpscares? I can't say I agree with that. In regards to appealing to a wider age range, there's other areas of the park ala Cbeebies Land & Walliams World to entertain that audience - Duel/The Haunted House/Whatever the hell it's set to be named next is located in an area of the park containing thrill rides, therefore to place a tame ghost train there would not look right.

To me, it needs much more jumpscares - and good ones at that. I think i've only been genuinely spooked by one jumpscare in Duel, the rest I felt were extremely predictable they didn't even make me flinch in the slightest, or were so well lit you could see them from across the room.

I think they should go all in for a really eerie, spooky ghost train. There's not many decent ghost trains in the country, so why not put the new Haunted House on the map?
It seems like you want more jumpscares and I want more immersion. Your argument on the wider age range has convinced me, but I feel that you have to either go all in on jumpscares or theming. Which one you prefer is subjective. I love horror films and scare mazes, but I would prefer a truly immersive experience over jumpscares if I had a choice.

Why not both?
Are there any rides in real life which contain both storytelling + immersion and scares? Mostly seems to be one or the other. Duel is probably the closest to achieving both, yet it floundered at both because it was trying to do more than one thing.
(I specified 'real life' because this amazing Planet Coaster creation has achieved both with ease! Perhaps you can have both scares and immersion in one package!)
Credit: Pixelated

It seems like you want more jumpscares and I want more immersion.
I think they both come hand in hand to be honest - it's virtually impossible to have good, impactful jumpscares without being immersed first otherwise it's super easy to disassociate yourself from the experience and therefore you're left with the same scenario as Duel - attempted jumpscares that fall flat each time.

I think they both come hand in hand to be honest - it's virtually impossible to have good, impactful jumpscares without being immersed first otherwise it's super easy to disassociate yourself from the experience and therefore you're left with the same scenario as Duel - attempted jumpscares that fall flat each time.
I wouldn't call Terror Castle at Brean immersive, yet it is arguably the scariest haunted house attraction in the UK.

I wouldn't call Terror Castle at Brean immersive, yet it is arguably the scariest haunted house attraction in the UK.
I've never understood this whole 'loud noises = scary' thing that a lot of these ghost trains do. I don't find it scary, I just find it obnoxious and jarring. I think obnoxiously loud noises like the claxons lots of ghost trains use is a cheap and lazy attempt of generating a scare. Granted, it's a lot more effective than Duel's scares and I find myself walking away with a fair few flinches, but it's just lazy.

When people hate on screens they are talking in the context of Merlin's usual execution, surely. I.e., sticking a small poor quality monitor in a picture/window frame.

When people hate on screens they are talking in the context of Merlin's usual execution, surely. I.e., sticking a small poor quality monitor in a picture/window frame.

No we're talking about leaving the house and not being involved in some fancy computer game on wheels. I personally don't go to a theme park to sit in a chair and watch a tv screen. You can do that at home.

HM at Knoebles is probably a really good example of both immersive yet very jumpscary. The set pieces are done well, but the scares are placed and timed really well for them to fit in and not be an irritant when they occur. Yes, it's loud, but not in a bad way.

It opened in 1971 I think, and the park keeps updating it over the years as well while keering a good portion of the original sets and props and keep refreshing them over time or replace them with replicas!

Back onto Duel, Wardleys statement of the ride wanting it brought up to date over the years before it was Duel, and saying the same thing now for this refurb and that its keeping the ethos of the original Haunted House, I wouldn't be surprised if they're only removing the obvious outdated aspects of The original props like the giant spider since it only moves its head while keeping pther aspect of the original ride. I feel like this is a 50/50, both new sets and old will be present in this variant of the ride. Many scenes of the original are still very effective in technical ways and perform decently well in recent years such as the animatronic arms of the former giant fingers, the moving walls in the poltergeist room, the Colums Ghost, the Underaker, the Demons in the grand halls. The only reason they're not effective as scares is because if the horren lighting in Duel and not keeping maintenance constant. There will be new scenes, more than old ones to fit for the new story, but I'm sure John would want a good portion of the original ride that's still in good condition to stay. He obviously knows how much this ride means to people, and how its original style and execution would still work today, it'd be a wasted opportunity to get some of those old sets back into their original, intended purpose yet refreshed, immersive and the sense of feeling alone!

Last edited:
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.