• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2023] The Curse at Alton Manor

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Think he means that there is zero suggestion of Duel's retheme being based on a local legend (which is correct). It's almost certainly going to be based around Emily Alton and the dolls house, but we'll all find out when it opens.
Yup, precisely this. There's no link to Duel in the Google search results, because the marketing for this ride has literally only just kicked off with press outlets.

Duel thread: the curse.

A terrifying re-imagining of this Alton Towers attraction based on the popular Towers Street thread in which riders are bombarded with painful over analysing and crazy theories based on zero evidence over and over and over and over…and over. Only for the strong stomached amongst us.

Opening spring: 2023

#thecurse

Haven't we got enough dark and serious rides in this country?
Man, it’s a ghost train. Ghost trains should be scary - people don’t watch paranormal shows and movies for comedic relief or for a bit of social time with the whole family, they watch them to be scared. Having a family friendly attraction out in the middle of nowhere is totally pointless - if they want a family friendly ghost train, gut out the dungeons and build it there… perfect location near Walliams Land for the families. Enroute to Forbidden Valley? No. The only people venturing that way are those wanting to ride Nemesis (not this year) and/or Galactica, which more often than not won’t be families.

Man, it’s a ghost train. Ghost trains should be scary - people don’t watch paranormal shows and movies for comedic relief or for a bit of social time with the whole family, they watch them to be scared. Having a family friendly attraction out in the middle of nowhere is totally pointless - if they want a family friendly ghost train, gut out the dungeons and build it there… perfect location near Walliams Land for the families. Enroute to Forbidden Valley? No. The only people venturing that way are those wanting to ride Nemesis (not this year) and/or Galactica, which more often than not won’t be families.
Im not saying it shouldn't be scary, I'm saying there are other ways to scare guests that aren't too scary where to the point it isn't that enjoyable by most younger people. The original had a good combination of both scary scenes and humorous ones (ridiculous ideas, funny faces, over the top props, etc.) It was scary, but not overall serious about it. DBGT tries to be serious and scary, and guess what, it failed. Though that could be from how it tries too hard to be very scary for older audiences it just ends up failing. I'm hoping this new ride will be aimed more at families.

Man, it’s a ghost train. Ghost trains should be scary - people don’t watch paranormal shows and movies for comedic relief or for a bit of social time with the whole family, they watch them to be scared. Having a family friendly attraction out in the middle of nowhere is totally pointless
The entire point of building the Haunted House in the first place was to be a family attraction, which it was. The idea family friendly means it can't be suspenseful and scary is wrong. That being said, so far there's nothing to suggest it's any more or less frightening than before.

Well isn't all of this very intriguing!

Today's marketing stunt definitely suggests to me that dolls will play some part in the experience. I also think it could provide some additional evidence in favour of that Emily Alton doll's house rumour thrown around a couple of months back...

I also think that "The Curse" could well be part of the name, or at very least a strong element of the theme.

As for the comments about this being scarier; I wouldn't worry about this being some blood and guts horror fest. We've only seen a spooky doll so far; that doesn't necessarily mean that it'll be an extreme horror attraction. "Family-friendly" and "scary" are far from mutually exclusive; many family-friendly rides around the world have a definite element of spookiness to them. Tower of Terror only has a 40" (102cm) height restriction, and that ride has a very spooky ambience to it!

Heck, the original Haunted House was supposedly pretty scary based on the fact that I have numerous relatives who were so scarred by it in the 1990s that they refused to go in it as Duel decades later...

Why is there a girl stood over the whole house then? She's not there in real life
When did they move Corkscrew onto Towers Street so you could see the Towers through the inversion?

Where did Nemesis' crab claws that appear on all the 1994 promotion material go?

Why does the original Nemesis advert suggest that the monster shoots a hole in the rock wall whilst you're riding it?

You can see the current facade's three rooves and the tower on the right hand side.

When did they move Corkscrew onto Towers Street so you could see the Towers through the inversion?

Where did Nemesis' crab claws that appear on all the 1994 promotion material go?

Why does the original Nemesis advert suggest that the monster shoots a hole in the rock wall whilst you're riding it?
There's more than one way to interpret a picture, your opinion isn't the only one. Respect others ideas until we have facts

My only fear for this new ride that all the scares are going to be just dolls and toys instead of unique ghost, apparitions and creatures. Though they might keep the spiders if one of the scenes are going to be redone into the loft like we saw in the peephole.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.