• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: The Curse at Alton Manor

Curse is an excellent ride and currently one of the few things that helps differentiate Alton Towers to the grown adult from just coasters.

I think it’s not a case that it was last year’s shiny new toy and now it’s just left to break, I think they’re still trying to improve it both in terms of reliability and added effects but I guess it’s very technically demanding.
They've actually made it less reliable than Duel which was pretty much a ride that was 30 years old but for a few pop up zombies.

I don't know why but when I went on the curse during half term I could actually see the 2nd head (I have only seen the back of it every time idk if it's just the cars I go on)

Most of Duel's effects (and Alty Mans) were leftovers from Haunted House.

There was a stark difference between the old and new effects. Mostly static.
Yeah, there does seem to be a lot more static effects and props in Curse, though I never understood why they turned the spinning wheel on the Hearse off. That area just seems so lifeless now without any movement. The lightning bolt effect is nice though.

Was at the park the past two days and only 1 effect (very minor I didn't even notice until about 5 rides in) didn't work.
Edit: should've mentioned what it was lol, it was the laser before the fireplace

Last edited:
I’m assuming it’s quite a temperamental effect as since it opened I’ve had some rides where it’s worked and some where it hasn’t; I doubt they’ve just turned it off. I do agree though that it certainly adds something to that area as when it’s off it feels like such a dead spot.

Regardless of whether or not the rotating wheel is working, I still think the hearse scene is one of the few genuine downgrades from Duel/HH to Curse. Both the lightning effect and Emily popping up look pretty cheap compared to how it used to be.

Last edited:
Regardless of whether or not the rotating wheel is working, I still think the hearse scene is one of the few genuine downgrades from Duel/HH to Curse. Both the lighting effect and Emily popping up look pretty cheap compared to how it used to be.
I don't mind the lightning effect, but Emily popping up was just completely unnecessary and looks really cheap. They could've reused the mechanism the old ghost used as they flew out, it just looked more convincing personally, and the Undertaker could've been some undead Toymaker giving Emily the dolls if they just redressed him.

I don't mind the lightning effect, but Emily popping up was just completely unnecessary and looks really cheap. They could've reused the mechanism the old ghost used as they flew out, it just looked more convincing personally, and the Undertaker could've been some undead Toymaker giving Emily the dolls if they just redressed him.
It's not even to the correct scale that bothers me the most. It looks like the size of a squirrel popping up out of an adult coffin.

Bet the original effect is still there just turned off.

It's not even to the correct scale that bothers me the most. It looks like the size of a squirrel popping up out of an adult coffin.

Bet the original effect is still there just turned off.
The original effect was my favourite in the ride.

If she popped up as she was lying down in the coffin she should be about half way down or more as she is a child. I think she is positioned right at the top of the coffin and the scale is off too.

Regardless of whether or not the rotating wheel is working, I still think the hearse scene is one of the few genuine downgrades from Duel/HH to Curse. Both the lightning effect and Emily popping up look pretty cheap compared to how it used to be.
Is the hissing. Makes me cringe every time to be honest.

Another notable downgrade for me is where the cackling man used to be right after the undertaker. It was always a nice effect with that mainac-like laugh, a good prop as well with the very expressive face, and looked lots better in its early years before it became bald 🤣

Now it's just a bunch of sacks and sticks glued together that doesn't make a sound effect (I think). If it does have one, it's really quiet.