• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: The Curse at Alton Manor

Does anyone know what the jump scare right after the grand hall scene when the lights flash is? it's too dark to tell. My guess is that it's the spirit that's possessed Emily but who knows it's quite hard to see at the moment
Grand Hall Effects
The flash at the end of the grand hall where the Emily projection is is just a flash, there's nothing there other than the projection. When you then the corner there is a demon above you (which is the spirit that has possessed Emily)

Im loving this rare phase where we don't actually know exactly what everything we're seeing in the ride. There really is enough that you have to go round again to notice more. Takes me back to my first years discovering the ride. What a joy! Especially after the sad final years of Duel where everything was so exposed there was no mystery left.

This attraction does give me some decent optimism for Projwct Horizon.

This attraction proves Merlin are getting back into their stride, quite well too.

This refurbishment could have gone either way considering Merlins past. Thankfully it went the right way, but not only that, better than most of us probably could have hoped for.

What a fantastic attraction. This sits in so well with the lineup. Attractions like this and Wickerman feel like Alton Towers are asserting their authority as the market leader. Onwards and upwards. Things are looking very bright at the moment.

Last edited:
Am I the only person that's confused to when you're actually shrunk? It's stated by Emily that she shrinks you in the final scene, but before that we see giant dolls and props like scissors in the garden, Emily's giant hand in the giant's lair, human sized dolls in the hall of spiders, etc. So when are we actually shrunk down? It's not very linear in its narrative.

Am I the only person that's confused to when you're actually shrunk? It's stated by Emily that she shrinks you in the final scene, but before that we see giant dolls and props like scissors in the garden, Emily's giant hand in the giant's lair, human sized dolls in the hall of spiders, etc. So when are we actually shrunk down? It's not very linear in its narrative.

It’s a ghost train, I don’t think it has to be perfectly linear, but I think the whole point is Emily shape shifts (if you actually catch the beginning of the spider shadow scene it’s Emily who turns into the spider). So she grows bigger and smaller throughout the ride and then shrinks you when you reach the dolls house.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s a ghost train, I don’t think it has to be perfectly linear, but I think the whole point is Emily shape shifts (if you actually catch the beginning of the spider shadow scene it’s Emily who turns into the spider). So she grows bigger and smaller throughout the ride and then shrinks you when you reach the dolls house.
Huh, i never say the shadow of her morphing work for me. I don't really thin it explains itself well. I think the scene would've worked if it wasn't so story/backstory driven. The whole garden redo still doesnt make any sense still, and I think it would've worked better without the toys and dolls that were human sized.

Can’t say I noticed any part where she morphs into a spider!

Hence why this why requires many many re-rides!!

Rode this yesterday, pretty enjoyable ride over all even if there are some rough spots which need to be patched up. I don't think it's a particularly controversial statement to claim that the dark area after Emily says "hide and seek" needs something in it, and the mirror scene could do with something to draw riders' attention toward the mirror. The dining room scene could do with a big final scare (indeed maybe reusing the demon mechanism for something, if it's still there), and the hand illusion near the finale looks.... bad.

However, overall, I'm pretty impressed. Some of the scenes are lit outstandingly well (the mirror corridor comes to mind, it's very pretty when working properly) and the trommel is as good as it has ever been. A lot of the effects are cool, namely the mirror corridor and some of the UV stuff. I think with a few timing adjustments, additions, and changes, this will be a great ride.

Overall, thank you Merlin, very cool!

Rode this yesterday, pretty enjoyable ride over all even if there are some rough spots which need to be patched up. I don't think it's a particularly controversial statement to claim that the dark area after Emily says "hide and seek" needs something in it, and the mirror scene could do with something to draw riders' attention toward the mirror. The dining room scene could do with a big final scare (indeed maybe reusing the demon mechanism for something, if it's still there), and the hand illusion near the finale looks.... bad.

However, overall, I'm pretty impressed. Some of the scenes are lit outstandingly well (the mirror corridor comes to mind, it's very pretty when working properly) and the trommel is as good as it has ever been. A lot of the effects are cool, namely the mirror corridor and some of the UV stuff. I think with a few timing adjustments, additions, and changes, this will be a great ride.

Overall, thank you Merlin, very cool!
I'm glad you enjoyed it! It definitely needs work done to it. In terms of the dining hall, I think the mechanism for the demon that jumped out is unfortunately removed, but I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue for Merlin to rebuild it, that and Donald Owen (the original prop maker of the demon) is still alive and makes props independently, so it'd be pretty easy for him to make another prop for it, that being the same demon or something new. I agree that the hand illusion at the final isn't that effective personally, it would've worked better as an a giant hand prop jumping out. It's good to see the trommel working again, but it's a little disappointing that the giant face that would eat you is replaced with a standard looking fireplace.

Last edited:
I like that the ride is a weird and warped so you don't really know what size you are and it's disorientating.
The only place where that doesn't really work is the ending where
she tries to grab you, because there isn't really the set to make you feel like you're inside a doll house at that point.

It's something fans might be irked by if they knew the concept, but I think younger kids would go along with it.

I rode Alton Manor twice on Saturday. My expectation levels have changed over the past few months and after hearing a couple of bits and bobs on Friday evening I did lower them again. However, I was really impressed!

I cannot believe how much work they have done in such a short space of time, huge kudos to all who have worked on this project. It really is a triumph! And it is only going to get better over the coming weeks and months, which is a great news.

The mix of theming, physical effects and projected effects felt pretty spot on.

Also I love what they have done with Gloomy Wood, it looks brilliant! I hope the roaming entertainment is kept for the season, and that all of the exterior lighting and effects are present at Scarefest.

Best and most surprising thing though:

They got the trommel working!!!

I just really hope now that Alton Towers/Merlin allow for a decent ongoing maintenance budget for the ride. As someone said previously, without this then the ride could be a sorry state of affairs in just a few years time. It would be such a shame if this were to happen, as right now it is easily the best dark ride in the UK.

Can't wait to ride it again!

@Trooper Looper

Not surprised you're disappointed tbh mate. Your enthusiasm for the project has been admirable but perhaps you expected too much?
Yeah, you're most likely right, I probably had my expectations too High... its a good ride, don't get me wrong, but it's simply not my cup of tea personally. Just a bit too dark in tone, overly aggressive music, and very serious for my taste. Could've add a bit of humour to the ride experience personally.

But the area though, I wouldn't change a thing aside from the window and the facades paint!! It's fantastic!!

Last edited:
its a good ride, don't get me wrong, but it's simply not my cup of tea personally. Just a bit too dark in tone, overly aggressive music, and very serious for my taste. Could've add a bit of humour to the ride experience personally.
Having done it, I don't think it was sinister, the music certainly didn't feel aggressive, and it didn't take itself that seriously at all. It was a lot more spooky and playful than that. I think if you put away your reservations you may like that.

I personally wouldn’t want humour in a ride about a girl killing her parents and becoming evil, it would take away from it for me.
I don't remember it being about a girl killing her parents? Or at least that's not the tone.

Surely it's more supernatural than dark. It's depicted that some kind of supernatural power posesses her and the house, then
we go on a wild trip through her spooky supernatural games.
Sinister and spooky yes but not serious I thought. I agree similar to the Phantom Manor in terms of the level of horror it goes for. I liked that about it and it is a family ride after all.

Having done it, I don't think it was sinister, the music certainly didn't feel aggressive, and it didn't take itself that seriously at all. It was a lot more spooky and playful than that. I think if you put away your reservations you may like that.
I did on my second go, I tried so hard to enjoy it but for some reason I didn't feel anything from it for the most part outside the trommel area and the car with her in following you.