• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: The Curse at Alton Manor

Anyone with a better or nerdier memory than mine able to tell whether the Doom & Sons hearse that is now part of Coach House Confectionary is the old one from Haunted Hollow?

Speaking go hearses.... I know the undertaker has shuffled off, does his hearse still remain - and if so - if the peppers ghost effect still there? that was one of my fav effects!
unfortunately no, it's just the hearse that's there. No effects. The peppers ghost may come back as the ride isn't finished yet.

Anyone with a better or nerdier memory than mine able to tell whether the Doom & Sons hearse that is now part of Coach House Confectionary is the old one from Haunted Hollow?
I always thought that the hearse at Chessington was the old one from Haunted Hollow but I may be totally wrong!

I greatly enjoyed the ride, it was really good fun. This is incredibly refreshing and just the direction the ride needed, bringing back an atmosphere and energy.

It feels very re-rideable thanks to the theme unfolding in a visual and pacey way, also retaining a physical feel to most the effects.

Although some of the digital/screen effects don't feel like they match (probably as expected), the ride is held together VERY well by the timing and sound which really is the big triumph of doing this revamp.

It's so fabulous to see people enjoying the ride again with a non-IP, straight up theatrical style ride. I look forward to seeing it refined and expanded as it goes along.

A 20 year wait over and turned out so positive!

Last edited:
I know it’s probably too early to tell, but is it’s low-ish queue time after the opening day rush due to it being high capacity?

I know it’s probably too early to tell, but is it’s low-ish queue time after the opening day rush due to it being high capacity?

100%. The ride eats queues. We only waited 45 minutes from the entrance yesterday in all areas.

I would expect the queue to hover at 15-20 minutes on medium days this season. It just isn't going to be a problem.

Absolutely. Running full pelt it can probably achieve a higher throughput than Nemesis

Edit: Dan beat me to it :tearsofjoy: point still stands though, it is a queue eater

Would be interesting to know how many people went through Duel per hour on average. Could be on zero minute queue time, but actually be doing 1,500 an hour. Sure it wasn't that high most of the time of course but would still be interesting to know. Queue moved very well yesterday even after it opened at 11 or so. The RAP queue was that big we literally mistook it for the main queue at first.

In terms of the ride, in places it was Valhalla like with a major effect on the blink and periods of nothing going on, but overall it was right to open this for the first day of the season because even with these teething issues, it is a great re-working of the HH, just ten years overdue!

I know this is a nitpick, but something I noticed.

The "Doomed Party" says the party takes place in 1891. The banner at the start says "Happy New Year 1892". However, the narration in the pre-show sets the scene as "The 31st of December, 1892", meaning thwy would be celebrating 1893 as the New Year.

I know it's very minor, but it bothered me

Sent from my SM-A516B using Tapatalk

There are so many questions on what remains from Duel/ HH. So spoiler below with what I can remember is the same or similar:

- The first little lobby is mostly the same, the portraits have dust sheets over them and there is a “house sale poster” in there now.

- The station is mostly untouched, though the busts have dust sheets over them.

- The breaking walls are still there though a better lighting package and enhancements.

- The great hall is mostly the same before you reach the mirror pillars (there are now props around the table and the skeletons of the party attendees but the overall scene is similar.

- trommel remains though it’s been very much improved (for a start it’s working).

- The big spider has remained but restyled

- The screaming heads have new heads but it’s mostly the same effect (the static wall mounted ones have gone).

- The garden scene is mostly intact from a static theming perspective (including the hearse), though all the animated “characters” have been changed. Pillar demon including mechanism completely gone as has the undertaker.

Obviously a lot of the walls from Duel/ HH remain but with a new theme applied on top.

I loved riding this today, just a few thoughts:
-Some effects can work on some rides not on others.
-I loved the Emily riding next to you, I would love to know how this is achieved…but it is slightly delayed behind the car you are in.
-The model of Emily just after the trommel is so realistic, so creepy!
-I appreciated the flashing lights in the body’s in the hall.
-I thought the bird cage swing effect was really good, if you look back Emily is then gone.
-So much to look at, just that one part where there’s a few tight bends in the dark.
-Very impressed!!!!

Thought I'd share my review and some photos from the opening day too 😁

\
  • The whole of Gloomy Wood is looking amazing. It's so lovely to see an area of the park that was previously usually like a ghost town (no pun intended) be so busy and full of life. The new additions on the entrance turrets are really well done and set the scene for the ride. The reopening of the F&B unit is a welcome addition, and the food and drink on offer look great! Nice to see some themed food items, as opposed to generic things, too
  • The queue line for the ride is done brilliantly too. Lots to look at, with a really creepy statue hidden amongst the trees which I actually didn't notice myself until my friend pointed it out. Really hope the themed lighting is here to stay, as even in the daytime, it adds atmosphere to the queue. The smoke effects are very atmospheric too, however I wish they had some more on the other side of the queue, especially near the doll in the woods, just to add some more atmosphere
  • Going into the ride, the pre-show area has had a much-needed refresh, and the pre-show itself is really well done. The UV paint reveal is brilliant, but it's just a shame that the queue moves so quickly that you don't often see it. We only saw it once on our second ride, and that was only due to the fact that the group in front of us stopped to record it
  • Again, the ride itself is a great upgrade on Duel, with so much new theming and set pieces added. The integration of projections is cleverly done, and not too intrusive in my opinion. It was nice to see some of the Duel classics kept, such as the giant spider along with the moving walls at the beginning (which I believe move out a lot more than they used to?) Loved the attic scene and the mirror scene (which worked both times for us, so I can't really comment on it not working 100% of the time). The finale was also unexpected, and the humungous Emily is really really impressive.
  • It's clear that the ride isn't 100% finished, and I hope they can work out the kinks and get it fully finished and polished off soon. The bit after the trommel (which is working again!!) is in complete darkness, with a few voiceovers from Emily. It's so obvious that this is a scene that is still being worked on, so hopefully this is ready before the main season. The first ride we had, the finale didn't trigger properly as our ride car came to a stop, revealing the Emily head without any sort of audio jumpscare. As some have previously mentioned, some of the mechanisms for the moving props are clearly visible, so hopefully this is something that is covered up soon, even if it's just a black cloth over the mechanism
  • I think the grand hall scene could do with some more effects and I think a jumpscare could work really well here. As of now, not much happens apart from some lighting simulating heartbeats in the skeletons' chests', and a projection of Emily being possessed at the end of the corridor. The garden scene could also do with some work in my opinion, as not much happens here. Hopefully this is another scene to be worked on!
  • The gift shop is well themed, however I hope some more TCaAM merchandise is on its way, as there are only a handful of items available (not even a pin badge available yet!)

IMG_8456.JPG
IMG_8460.JPG
IMG_8487.JPG
IMG_8481.JPG
IMG_8500.JPG
IMG_8513.JPG
IMG_8523.JPG
IMG_8537.JPG

I'm not sure if it's already mentioned but did anyone spot dolls clothing walking from the car park to the park?
I could kick myself for not taking pictures but we seen dolls shorts near the monorail entrance also a dress on the footpath next to the disabled parking.
Not sure if placed by AT or the public.