• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: The Curse at Alton Manor

The pedantic fine detailers could always post up minor closures in the queuetimes topic to satisfy a desperate need to share information from afar needlessly.
I share your pain.

Has anyone got any 'I'd have done this' thoughts on the new ride

A thought I had with the ball room is they should have had the chairs and tables start levitating as you pass through and maybe replace the demon mechanism with a dinning table - as though it's been thrown at you by Emilies Poltergeist energy! and maybe have chairs come sliding at you from both sides etc

Just imagine, gangsta granny ride vehicles for this ride. It would benefit from being able to face you in the direction they want you. It’s a win for us, a win for them. As we get to see every effect to scare us and they don’t necessarily need as much theming.

For example when Emily is in the mirrors riding the ride, you have to look to your right at the right time to make sure you don’t miss it. Because your allowed to look else where that effect could be wasted

Has anyone got any 'I'd have done this' thoughts on the new ride

A thought I had with the ball room is they should have had the chairs and tables start levitating as you pass through and maybe replace the demon mechanism with a dinning table - as though it's been thrown at you by Emilies Poltergeist energy! and maybe have chairs come sliding at you from both sides etc
Yep. The grand halls needs some extra work I think, more practical stuff, personally it's rebuild the mechanisms for the a behind the mirror and add a new prop on there, it's a much effective scare than Emily at the end of the hallway. Maybe make it a darker in there as well. Imagine a large floating figure of Emily jumping out at you where the demon used to be. Though inching the demon would work as well as it could be an explan of who possessed her, have the screen on, and add the Flying demon with the illusion that it emerging from her before repossessing her body once again as the room goes into darkness.

I think the new trommel entrance could've been loads better instead of a fireplace, it could've been a miraculous looming wood carved face with those disco balls back as well. The clock at the end is great. There was a picture of Emily's parents discovering the old trommel face, so it would've been cool if it inspired them to give their fireplace a similar but more menacing face.

Let's all agree that everyone wants something in the giant's lair place, hopefully not static walls.

As for the heads, just bring the "Nnnyyyeeeaaahhh!" Back, maybe a bit distorted or in a deeper tone and add an extra head in there. There seems to be only 2 flying heads in there now compared to the three it used to have.

Apologies for my earlier question. Currently I'm unable to afford a pass so I can't just visit the park several times, I'm only going to ride curse so I appreciate it's a gamble, I was just wondering if anyone had any Intel on the ride being down, as it looks like it's been down most of the day. I'll just take my chances, again sorry for the queue line question...

Keeping it closed for a few hours in the morning during quieter days wouldn't be such a bad idea. It's not like it's a ride that suffers with unbearable queues, and it wouldn't impact on guests' day out, as they can still experience the ride.

I know a few people have mentioned not seeing certain effects if you're looking in the opposite direction. I actually think that's a good thing. It at least gives a re-rideability value, as you can go on the ride another time and notice effects that you missed previously.

I almost think they should close it till noon daily until it's refined. Gives them more time!

Sent from my Doro Phone using Tapatalk

The number of parks that do this on the continent is impressive.

Remember waiting at Hansa for the painter to pack his tools away after he'd added a fresh coat in the morning.

Thats a good point and something I had thought about when I went home after the weekend.... when will these make these additional changes if the park is open every day. I hope Alton dont give up now on it and just stick with what they have - if it means the ride being closed some mornings then so be it and they can finish it sooner. I am genuinely excited by the thought of this ride being completely finished.

I likely won't be at the park until next year though I might have a slight chance of going this year if I get lucky but regardless I do suspect that when I do ride it at last it'll look different from what it is now. I have checked out the POV footage as I might as well see what it is as it won't be for a while until I do experience it so I'll put my thoughts down soon when I have more time to write it all out.

I'm not a fan of rotating ride vehicles and am glad they aren't in the ride.

Regarding the availability, the app said closed twice when we've done it today. Underneath it is still HH/Duel which was fairly reliable.

Time for adjustments? With 4pm closes, I wouldn't be surprised if creatives started later and finished later. Pure guesswork though.

I have checked out the POV footage as I might as well see what it is as it won't be for a while
Ive known many people do this with dark rides, I don't understand it unless you're not planning to go. There's no immediate need to go on the ride and watching someone's hustled ugly GoPro footage only steals half the fun of first time going on a dark ride (to me).

I say this because after really liking the Curse, the odd POV clips I saw afterwards made it look rubbish! Completely skew impression, so just bear in mind I guess.

Ive known many people do this with dark rides, I don't understand it unless you're not planning to go. There's no immediate need to go on the ride and watching someone's hustled ugly GoPro footage only steals half the fun of first time going on a dark ride (to me).

As a dark ride fanatic I just can't help it - I managed until Sat eve to watch the POV..... I never have very good self control. I'm going in April - which isn't far, but my curiosity and need to digest it design wise always gets the better of me!...and it never really spoils it for me... I watched the POV of symbolica and still cried/had my breathe taken away when I rode it!

It helps that I have poor working memory so often forget by the time I actually ride it and of course its always different in real life anyway so I'm never disappointed.

I've held out on watching Hagrids and Tokyo Disney's beauty and the beast though! So depends what it is!

I like scoring things out of 10, although there are lots of sub metrics for a ride of this nature - the brand, theme, story, soundtrack, attention to detail, frights, re-rideability, etc.

I'll give it a 6.5 / 10. My girlfriend gave it a 6.

I'll be v interested to see what other friends and family think, as I think that's the litmus test, the general public.

I'll try to post a more thorough review later.

Last edited:
I almost think they should close it till noon daily until it's refined. Gives them more time!

Sent from my Doro Phone using Tapatalk

Back when Charlie & the Chocolate Factory opened in 2006, the Dahl Family (or whoever they let look after Roald's intellectual property) were not entirely happy with some aspects of the ride and requested that tweaks be made. Tussauds Studios North [as it was then - now Merlin Magic Making Studios North] had staff working through the night on Charlie to make the required changes. Towers even put the staff up in one of the hotels so they could be properly rested & on-site ready for the next nights work.

For all we know they could be doing the same on TCaAM. Night working is the best opportunity to fix things, as the ride is closed more hours of the day than it's open. Indoor work, so no exposure to the elements etc.

Back when Charlie & the Chocolate Factory opened in 2006, the Dahl Family (or whoever they let look after Roald's intellectual property) were not entirely happy with some aspects of the ride and requested that tweaks be made. Tussauds Studios North [as it was then - now Merlin Magic Making Studios North] had staff working through the night on Charlie to make the required changes. Towers even put the staff up in one of the hotels so they could be properly rested & on-site ready for the next nights work.

For all we know they could be doing the same on Alty Mans. Night working is the best opportunity to fix things, as the ride is closed more hours of the day than it's open. Indoor work, so no exposure to the elements etc.
And they worked overnight with the original Haunted House too.