• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2023: The Curse at Alton Manor

So I rode Alty Mans twice on my visit on Thursday this week and here are my thoughts.

Is it better than Duel? Absolutely. The level of detail in the theming is something all those involved in the project should be proud of. One ride certainly doesn’t do it justice, not even 2 or 3 no doubt but I definitely appreciated it more after my second ride. I’m so happy the lighting has been designed using theatrical knowledge rather than just shoving up a load of LED wash lights and thinking it’ll do. The lighting really makes this attraction. The soundtrack is also excellent, but it goes beyond this. The acoustic design is great and the speaker placement really aids the notion of things happening all around you. The only thing I’d like more of is bass but that’s just my own personal preference. As aforementioned, the theming is amazing and is of exceptional high quality.

Is it scary? Well. I’m a 31 year old bloke and I certainly jumped several times around the ride. The jump scares definitely get you whilst most of the other effects are just genuinely impressive to witness.

What are the standout effects? The trommel with the heat blasting out just before works a treat, especially with the rotating clock on wall that you approach. This really worked exceptionally well on our 2nd ride because there wasn’t anyone in the car in front. The mirror scene where Emily appears in the ride car worked perfectly on both our rides and was really effective. I’m not sure if it’s meant to be Emily or another demon but the jump scare before the trommel (I think?) where a ghost flies above your head is great. The finale scene is great too and is quite overwhelming!

What effects weren’t so great? The two standout effects which I think could either be improved or just removed are Emily rising from the coffin in the garden scene and the projection of her hand reaching down. They weren’t overly bad, they were just a bit “meh” and I think would be more effective as moving props instead.

Which scenes could be improved? The hide and seek scene, whilst builds up tension, does need a good jump scare however I can see why they thought this scene might work in darkness with audio only. The other scene is the flying head scene. This didn’t really add anything to the ride and I only saw 1 very faintly lit moving head.

Overall score? 8/10. It’s the ride I’ve thought about most since my visit on Thursday and is one I’m certainly looking to get back on. The mix of traditional effects vs screens is spot on and it’s fantastic to have such a theatrical and detailed dark ride in place of Duel.

If this is a sign of things to come, then bring it on.

I definitely feel as though updates to the hide and seek and flying heads sections are on the agenda over closed season. As with most dark rides, they take a fair bit of settling in and adapting over time to get them just right - a mistake that The Haunted House & Duel both made was being overly confident with the first rendition that they let things like this slip.

Hopefully the park have learned from their past mistakes inside the building and come through with some well needed updates in this two scenes ahead of the 2024 season. I think with a bit of additional budget accrued over the 2023 season should allow for a fairly significant update for 2024, but only time will tell.

We went on it 3 times yesterday. The heat as you go through the fireplace was definitely an interesting addition, plus the whole place had a distinct "old/mouldy" smell that I hadn't noticed before. New smell capsules or whatever they are called maybe? There seemed to be quite a few different lighting effects that looked like coloured lightning dotted around too.

I still think it's perfectly pitched towards children who maybe aren't quite old or brave enough for dungeons/scaremazes but are old enough to not really have nightmares and like a bit of excitement - sort of 6-10 age, the same age as first experiences on rollercoasters like Wickerman.

Not experienced the heat before the trommel yet as it wasn't in place when I last rode. I remember thinking to myself that an effect like that would work well so pleased to hear that something like that has been added! Are the moving walls still broken?

Not experienced the heat before the trommel yet as it wasn't in place when I last rode. I remember thinking to myself that an effect like that would work well so pleased to hear that something like that has been added! Are the moving walls still broken?

Looked like 50/50 to me - the first ones definitely weren't working but the ones immediately after were.

The heat is really quite noticeable too - like being too close to a lightbulb.

Looked like 50/50 to me - the first ones definitely weren't working but the ones immediately after were.

The heat is really quite noticeable too - like being too close to a lightbulb.

That’s a really cool effect of they add the smoke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a good load of goes on Alton Manor today and noticed a few new features.

A cutout of a bold of lightning is present above the hearse which flashes to give the effect of a bolt of lightning.

One of the paintings in the mirror corridor shows the Alton Family on board a steamboat, with a slightly altered image of the original swamp monster emerging from the sea!

I wonder why they gave it a different appearance, perhaps unused Concept art for an idea that never came to the surface.

A cutout of a bold of lightning is present above the hearse which flashes to give the effect of a bolt of lightning.

One of the paintings in the mirror corridor shows the Alton Family on board a steamboat, with a slightly altered image of the original swamp monster emerging from the sea!

I wonder why they gave it a different appearance, perhaps unused Concept art for an idea that never came to the surface.
339132668_635737988363873_8001127001177153976_n.png

The other painting is them on a rowing boat in front of the towers

That's very interesting! Has your opinion on Alton Manor changed at all since your first thoughts?

That's very interesting! Has your opinion on Alton Manor changed at all since your first thoughts?
As a whole, not one bit, but the minor new additions such as the air cannons and the bolt of lightning do make it more enjoyable. It a decent dark ride, but it's just wrong for the park. We have enough dark and grim themes as there already is personally, and I hear some rumours going about that Project Exodus will also have quite a dark theme. Alton Towers is more than a doom and gloom style Park as the Internet presents it worldwide, well... was...

Last edited:
Forgot to mention this yesterday. Had a chat with one of the attendants since it was quiet, it seems like theres still more to be added, that and the ride apparently has an age restriction!
I've heard a recommended minimum age bandied about internally, but I'm not aware of it being displayed or advertised anywhere. There is no age restriction, otherwise they'd be IDing kids and turning them away.

First time for me on Curse yesterday. I managed 2 rides and was overall impressed. It was definitely an improvement over Duel, and would consider it to be a similar standard to Hex. Some small minor thoughts:
  • The preshow is very well done, but with it being a walk-through one, most people will miss out on the story.
  • The flying heads scene was lit way too darkly. You would only notice them moving if you looked up, which was a shame because they are quite a unique effect.
  • The hide and seek scene lasts way too long. After the initial dialogue by Emily, it takes far too long to reach the following scene.
  • As I have only been on yesterday, the UV paint did sem rather faint. I am not sure if that is an issue with it coming off over time or it was too faint in the first place.